Yonex Shuttlecocks

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Byro-Nenium, Dec 18, 2000.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I was just wondering, whats the difference between all these different types of shuttles that have all these different numbers. Like the Yonex shuttles that have Aerosensa 2 to 50 i think. Whats the actual difference between these shuttles and which one is better?

I heard that the different number represents the weight and durability, but i'm still not sure. Thanks for any replies

2. Joel

Joel Guest

Hey Byro-Nenium:

I'm not 100% sure either, but I've heard that the numbers do refer to the quality and durability of the shuttle, as well as how they travel. For instance, Yonex has several different types of plastic shuttles, and the various types are designed for hot weather, cold weather, and normal conditions. (I think birds tend to fly faster in warm air, could be wrong...) Also, Victor shuttles (Tourney, Champion, etc) seem to be priced on a durability basis. So I would say, just play with whatever shuttle will be used at the tournament that you're going to be playing in. Hope this helps...

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Thanks man... I'm not too sure about the temp though... But thanx anyway

4. Nicko

Nicko Guest

Warm air is less dense than cold air. This is why warm air rises. Warm air, being less dense than cold air, produces less air resistance to the shuttle. Less air resistance means the shuttles fly faster and further in warm air.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I just played in Malaysia and the shuttle flies faster there.
    The halls are smaller than in HK and the air warmer.
    They told me a smaller hall needs slower shuttles as the shuttle flies faster.
    Since air pressure will be similar (and therefore density), why is that?

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i've never heard of smaller halls = faster shuttles. as that doesn't make sense. the size of the enclosure should not modify the property of the air.

warmer halls, however, do affect the flight, the shuttle will be faster due to less dense air, so slower shuttles are needed.

7. Nicko

Nicko Guest

RE: Yonex Shuttlecocks - Smaller Halls

If it has been observed that smaller halls => faster shuttles then there must be a reason.

For the same shuttle to go faster in a small hall than in a large hall it can only be because of the air.

I have a theory:

It depends on what you mean by smaller hall. Smaller in floor area, or smaller in height also.

The height of the ceiling will affect the temperature gradient of the air in the hall. The hottest air will be near the ceiling, warm air in the middle, cooler air near the floor. With a very high ceiling the shuttles will be flying in a warm air region rather than hot. With a lower ceiling the shuttles will be flying in a hot air region rather than warm.

Super huge halls would be more likely to have air conditioning units to control air temperature also, maybe due to public safety regulations or something

Playing in England at intermediate club level I have only played in what I would calll small halls. And playing in England means it is never very warm :)