User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 57
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Future of Chen Jin

    Hi all! It's been a while since I last posted here, but nice to see everything's even better than ever on the site.

    The topic I'm wondering about is what do some of you think about the future for Chen Jin...

    He's so young, and yet doing very well in the tournaments as far as I can tell. Some have said he's not even close to Lin Dan yet, so I'm wondering when you might think that will be.

    More so, I'm wondering if he'll be even more "unbeatable" than Lin Dan in the future. I know Lin Dan isn't really unbeatable, and in fact I'm not a big fan of his at all, mostly because he hasn't struck me as friendly or of good sportsmanship (I could be mistaken though)...

    However, I'm just thinking that if Chen Jin is doing this well at his current age, in say 5 years or whenever, is he going to be a star like we haven't seen in quite some time...?

    Uh...I don't really have much stock in my opinion, but he strikes me as really good potential. I'm also not informed if other countries have any players this young, doing this well on the circuit. I have been out of the loop for a while, so corrections as well as opinions are appreciated.

    Good Day!
    Cory

  2. #2
    Regular Member jug8man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,098
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    IMHO he will never eclipse Lin Dan. Lin Dan is almost like a product of China Super Soldier Program even from pre-birth. Switched to badminton of course

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Can you elaborate on that? What's the story with the "Super Soldier" program...before birth...etc?

    What do you mean he switched to badminton? This all sounds really cool!

    Cory

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wink

    I've watched quite a few matches so far...and I've never seen any single player play we well as Chen Jin did in the China Open 2007 vs Peter Gade. His retrieving, reflexes, and around the head skills...just amazing. His sportsmanship showed too when he asked the crowd to applaud Gade multiple times and even gave a big thumbs up in his direction, despite Gade's complaint about him shouting too much when the bird landed out. He played better a better overall game than I've ever seen Lin Dan play.

    After the olympics games next year, I think China's is going ditch Lin Dan in favour of Jin. In China, age > performance and what you've contributed, since there are thousands of other quality players that can be invested on and given valuable experience (atleast in men's singles).

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yeah, i see CJ as a talented player.. But I see him to be a future LD... He will be da star after LD!!! Go CJ!!!

  6. #6
    Regular Member jug8man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,098
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coryprice View Post
    Can you elaborate on that? What's the story with the "Super Soldier" program...before birth...etc?

    What do you mean he switched to badminton? This all sounds really cool!

    Cory
    It's just fan fiction........ only fan fiction. The key words in that post was 'is almost like'

    Still, Lin Dan's dominance over the world rankings for the past 3-4 years with the high level of the playing field is pretty much unprecedented... It would only be a matter of time before ppl start believing stuff like this to be true

  7. #7
    Regular Member jug8man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,098
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum View Post
    yeah, i see CJ as a talented player.. But I see him to be a future LD... He will be da star after LD!!! Go CJ!!!
    I don't think CJ can sustain and recover match after match anywhere near the rate as Lin Dan. CJ will be another Chen Hong, Dong Jiong, Xia and all the other players who've made it thru the China Ranks...

    They'll be supceptible to physical restraints... You can already see signs of CJ breaking down a few times and getting hurt.

    Lin Dan... well he's 'super' (wanted to use 'freak' but would not sound nice and may be taken out of context) and you don't get one of these so very often.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,237
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    what i think is that its lin dan's fitness that makes him as good as he is. it doens't matter who he's playing against. a few rounds into the tournament, and everyones pretty tired. while everyone is ready for the 2nd, and maybe the 3rd set, lin dan's ready for the 5th, 6th, and 7th.

    chen jin's fitness has been improving over the last year or so, atleast.
    while it may never get as good as lin dan's fitness levels, it may be enough for him to play at the top for a short while.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thinking about the fitness aspect, as I've seen it talked about in quite a few different discussions, it was once said that Wayne Gretzky (from ice hockey if there's some out there who don't know who he is) had the best fitness and that allowed him to play longer than other players.

    I'm from Edmonton and know a few people, so to speak, and I was told that he didn't last longer on the ice than other players, but he recovered faster than them. He was able to get back to full strength faster.

    I think that would be key for a badminton player. Not necessarily stamina, though that's important to, but the ability to get your heart rate and breathing back to normal faster. I wonder if that's the secret behind Lin Dan, but I've never been close enough to notice such things as breathing...

    Cory

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ipoh, Malaysia
    Posts
    1,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i heard of china's strategy to produce excellent athlete from birth. like yao ming's parents are both tall and i think the father played basketball. so the chances of their offspring to be tall are pretty good. i think the same with other sports. i could be wrong here. maybe other people have heard the same?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    not sure if this is the place to post it, but how would you describe Chen Jin's 'style'? I mean, Lin Dan is known for his explosiveness and fitness; Taufik for creativity and backhand; Lee Chongwei for his cross court smashes, speed, footwork, and more recently, deceptiveness; but Chen Jin....? I can't really distinguish him from say, Chen Yu. The only thing that stands out for me is CJ's good sportsmanship, which I've seen demonstrated on many an occasion.

    Well maybe it's wrong to try and sum someone up so easily? I don't deny he's a very good player; and what people have said about his fitness (what about mental?) particularly recently, strike me as quite right.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,064
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i'm not so sure about Chen Jin going further than Lin Dan. what is he now, 21? Lin Dan reached world no.1 at the age of 20. Taufik got into the AE finals at 18. Chen Jin, to me, is the "always there" player. he'll always give any player a run for his money. he can do very well. but he just doesn't have the tools to stand out above the rest. say what you like about Lin Dan, but he wins so much, and does so well all the time. he's around 15,000 points a head of Lee Choong Wei. that's a massive margin of dominance. whereas the next 4-5 players are very close. ]

    he's got good technique, good movement, good stamina. but he doesn't possess anything which stands him out. Taufik's known for his net play and backhand. Lee Choong Wei for his steep smashes. Lin Dan for his ferocity. Bao Chunlai for his steep and accurate shots. but Chen Jin is simply a good all rounder. he can play good enough to keep them sweating and swearing. BUT, he can't play above them. which is why he'll never really be that great. he's got a style like Lin Dan, with decent smashes. he just lacks the ability to finish off.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tupai (from Msia)
    Posts
    750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lightbulb Indeed

    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    i'm not so sure about Chen Jin going further than Lin Dan. what is he now, 21? Lin Dan reached world no.1 at the age of 20. Taufik got into the AE finals at 18. Chen Jin, to me, is the "always there" player. he'll always give any player a run for his money. he can do very well. but he just doesn't have the tools to stand out above the rest. say what you like about Lin Dan, but he wins so much, and does so well all the time. he's around 15,000 points a head of Lee Choong Wei. that's a massive margin of dominance. whereas the next 4-5 players are very close. ]

    he's got good technique, good movement, good stamina. but he doesn't possess anything which stands him out. Taufik's known for his net play and backhand. Lee Choong Wei for his steep smashes. Lin Dan for his ferocity. Bao Chunlai for his steep and accurate shots. but Chen Jin is simply a good all rounder. he can play good enough to keep them sweating and swearing. BUT, he can't play above them. which is why he'll never really be that great. he's got a style like Lin Dan, with decent smashes. he just lacks the ability to finish off.
    What you say is indeed very true, everyone is given different gifts!But let not forget those players can work on their weakness as well. Few years back, I wont have thought LCW can be like he is today.So who knows what CJ would be…

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,064
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by s1nn3r View Post
    What you say is indeed very true, everyone is given different gifts!But let not forget those players can work on their weakness as well. Few years back, I wont have thought LCW can be like he is today.So who knows what CJ would be…
    yes indeed, who knows. but he won't dominate the circuits like Lin Dan has. simply because he's already 21.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I wonder if Chen Jin is a bit like Chen Yu (and to a lesser extent, Bao Chunlai): someone who clears the way for Lin Dan?

    re Chen Jin's age: well....when did Lee Chongwei start making his mark? I think no matter what his successes, LCW will always be memorable. But CJ--not yet. And certainly I think there's still time for improvement--again, looking at LCW, I think his style has changed a lot in the past year.

    BTW I think when I talk about CJ's future I'm not talking about whether or not he will dominate the MS field but rather whether or not he will evolve into something more interesting.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,064
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by No one View Post
    I wonder if Chen Jin is a bit like Chen Yu (and to a lesser extent, Bao Chunlai): someone who clears the way for Lin Dan?

    re Chen Jin's age: well....when did Lee Chongwei start making his mark? I think no matter what his successes, LCW will always be memorable. But CJ--not yet. And certainly I think there's still time for improvement--again, looking at LCW, I think his style has changed a lot in the past year.

    BTW I think when I talk about CJ's future I'm not talking about whether or not he will dominate the MS field but rather whether or not he will evolve into something more interesting.
    i don't really think LCW has made a mark yet. not enough that someone 20 years on will remember clearly. he hasn't won a world championship. sure, he's won a few Super Series. but in no way has he been as dominant as Lin Dan. if he wins the Olympics, that's something else. but like i said, if you're looking at the biggest mark, it's gotta be Lin Dan.

    Chen Jin.....well, it's hard to say how he'll evolve. unlike Lee, who had a big coaching change, China's coaches are the same. so he'll probably just improve. he'll probably end up top, but not for long. when Lin Dan retires, around 26-27, he'll be 23-24. that'll be his prime time. but then, it'll end.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I should really avoid predictions . I just think, of all the top MS players right now, excluding taufik, LCW's the most interesting to watch....Chen Jin, Chen Hong, Chen Yu, Bao CL and even Lin Dan are alright to watch but (as you say) they all have--or have had--the same coaches and so their style is very similar.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rivalry of the Future - Kenichi Tago v/s Chen Long
    By cobalt in forum Professional Players
    Replies: 40
    : 06-07-2014, 12:49 AM
  2. FS/FT: LI NING FLAME N55 (used by CHEN JIN, WANG ZHENG MING, CHEN LONG)
    By psg007 in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 2
    : 06-05-2011, 05:09 AM
  3. Chen Hong's interview on retirement and future plans
    By Shiryu in forum China Professional Players
    Replies: 26
    : 02-04-2007, 03:01 PM
  4. LYB regrets Chen Hong's withdraw and CH's future
    By 2cents in forum Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2007
    Replies: 18
    : 01-31-2007, 10:41 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    : 08-01-2003, 07:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •