Optimum racket weight/balance for defend

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by 77suns, Nov 29, 2007.

1. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    Hi guys, do you all prefer a lighter racket for defence( receiving smash in double )? I notice I have a 4U racket but did not gain faster shutter return than a slightly heavy racket( well i just add some weight tied to the T-join).

Qns1: heavier racket are good for smash( overhead attacking from following the gavity or a momentum swing ) but too light a racket will suffer in defend as it could not generate enough momentum for short reflex stroke as there is a limit in your relfex speed. Is this true?

Qns2: Or maybe a slightly heavier head did the trick?

2. Slicedbanana07

Slicedbanana07 Regular Member

I think, in theory, a light racket with a head light balance would be the best for defense because it aids quick movement. But in the real world, people have different requirements and preferences

But don't forget about racket stiffness because that is just as important.

My preferences, I prefer a mid balanced, 3U, medium stiff racket (so mr. average :D). I find that I'm comfortable with defense without sacrificing on offense. I can use a 4U slightly headheavy, which doesnt make much difference, but still I would prefer a mid balanced racket that is about average weight (3U). A head light racket for me is good for defense but I lose my attacking attributes and its never a good thing to focus on just one part of your game!

With your question 1, about the racket being to light for defense, are you referring to the power that your generate from defense shots or defense in general. If it is defense in general, then theoretically, a light racket would be better as it means its more manouverable. If it is about power, then you would need a slightly heavier racket to be able to generate some momentum and power.

The second part of question 1, you never take into account of the anticipation of your opponents shot. If you were doing a standard test where you could only react to a shot/smash after it has been hit then reflex and reaction times would apply to an extent. However, when you are playing a match, you at times would anticipate what your oponent will do and where they will hit it, and in doing so you can at times reach a shot where you wouldnt be able to if you were flat footed and only reacting to a shot after it has been played.

Question 2. Erm, if you think that defensive capabilities stop after a certain point with a light racket, then a head heavy balance would only reduce your manouverability and hence be slower in defense.

Just my thoughts.

3. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    in my experience, a 4u racket will enable you to respond quickly for defense as compared to a 2u or even with an upper 3u (89 grams) version. however, a 4u with a "head light" design will not really give you enough power and even control when you wish to generate more depth on your returns. ideally, it's better to get a 4u racket with a "head heavy" design to help you get the needed power and control to direct the feather to any part of the court during a return.

4. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    i am using a 4U heavy head. I am guessing the racket head got to be heavier in relation to the shutter to be more stable and therefore generate better power return, refering to my case . this will mean light head racket are generally not recommended to use??

5. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    "head light" rackets are good for drive and push shots especially when you are playing near the net. intercepting/blocking the feather will also give you a slight advantage. since you need to maneuver your racket faster, a head light racket proves very effective in these kind of shots.

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    typically heavy is good for offence and light is good for defence. Simple. No need to think about what U you'll need. So you choose the weight you prefer. After all, its the player that makes the different mostly, not all the time.

7. adamp1

adamp1 Regular Member

school?
    if you were wondering what rackets light head balance included the ns7700 is very light headed - great for defence but i couldn't get any power with it as it is medium flex.

8. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    If you're working with body shots, then head light would probably protect by probably a millionth of a second faster. However, with shots where you have to reach far, or dive, then a head light racquet won't help at all.

9. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    Hmm you got a point there, for smash that are close to my body( not in the hard area to maneover like shoulder) i am able to power return. It is just those smashthat i have to reach out....

10. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I also think a low tension string will also have an impact on returning smashes. Such as backhand clear (not overhead) don't know how to call that haha. No optimum for this one. Whatever you feel right.