Why does Lin Dan lose?

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by coryprice, Nov 29, 2007.

1. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    Hello again...just very excited about some of the dialogue in my post about Chen Jin and thought of something else that I think would be good to think about...

If Lin Dan seems capable of winning any match if he performs at his top level, why does he lose those few times? Does he drop his performance down, and if so how? Is it stamina, lack of will to win or determination?

Sometimes it seems like he just doesn't "want" to win all the time, as in it doesn't mean as much to him as it does to other players to beat him.

Thoughts?

Cory

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Players win and lose....no big deal :cool:

Lin Dan lost a few matches (to Park Sung Hwan and Lee Chong Wei notably) because those players performed better than him on those days. No other reason, period.

3. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Bacause as Super Dan is Super but not a Robot.

Other players can become super and beat Lin Dan as well ;)

4. PlayaFromMalaya

PlayaFromMalaya Regular Member

Student
    because he is a human like everyone else

5. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    I'm getting the feeling that perhaps my post came across like I think Lin Dan is super human, and he shouldn't lose at all unless there's something wrong with the universe... :)

I just want to say of course everyone has the ability to lose at some point, but I was wondering what might be going on at those times with Lin Dan. I guess kind of like wondering what his weaknesses might be...something along those lines anyway.

Cheers,
    Cory

6. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

his weakness is being human.

if he can, he'd be winning everything, but he can't.
    so theres two ways of tackling this problem.

1) play hard as long as you can, and win. get injured. not play for 2 months.
    2) play hard enough to get as far as you can, then lose. then play in the next tournament, play as hard as you can as necessary to get as far as you can, then lose again. once you've rested up enough, try to play like normal agian.

7. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Just like in my work, the productivity usually drops a lot at the end of year after Thanksgiving and waiting for the Christmas holiday. After a long season, some players may start feeling burned out. I won't be surprised Lin Dan may not as motivated as in the early season especially after winning the world champion. See how many early round matches Federer lost lately. A lot of people suspect that he did that to get more resting time.

#7 Qidong, Nov 29, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  8. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    chickenpoodle, and Qidong,

Those are interesting points, and I agree. Thanks!

Cory

9. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

LD started losing when they introduce the SS draw format and he had to take on good opponents from R1 so he is showing what he really is.When he does not have his entourage to do some initial damage to his opponents first, chances are he gets damaged first. Look at his route to all his titles this year and you will get the answer.He wins when certain conditions are in place.

10. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol

Just wanted to say, that Lin Dan won more tournaments this year then ever before! 6 or 7 or 8 I think, not quite sure...

Besides other big tournaments he won 4 Super Series Titles, become World Champion and won the Sudirman Cup with China (I think he also won Asian Team Championchips)

So he never was more successful then this year...

And you say he started losing since the SS was introduced?!?
    I mean... SS was introduced this year!

:p

11. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    I looked at the IBF website and according to their records, excluding the team championships this is what it says for how many tournaments he has played, and how many he won. This doesn't take into account whether he was eliminated in the semis, qf's, or earlier.

2007 total 13 tournaments played, 6 won, 46% of played were won.
    2006 total 11 tournaments played, 6 won, 54% of played were won.
    2005 total 10 tournaments played, 4 won, 40% of played were won.
    2004 total 11 tournaments played, 5 won, 45% of played were won.
    2003 total 10 tournaments played, 3 won, 30% of played were won.

Might help some people who need "facts" to debate for or against their point of view.

Cory

12. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    And LD has the chance of winning another tournament this year...

He beat Taufik Hidayat easily 21:12 and 21:14 today...

Really sad, I think TH is not able to play like 2004 or 2005 anymore...

Also Chen Hong is not really good anymore :-((

At the moment Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei and perhaps Bao Chunlai are in top form an can beat each other (perhaps Bao Chunlai cannot beat LD :)) )

It just depends on their daily form and how hard the tournament was for them. I think LD will win the Hong Kong Open 2007 also, because he lost in the first round of the China Open last week and could rest for a while, now he is fit and motivated again!

If he can win his 7th title this year... Did any player in history win 7 titles in one year?

13. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Good work. Thx. When did LD become WR1?

14. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    TH never really have the spirit to win any open anyway..Like anyone said before..LD always beat TH in most of matches..but TH always likely to beat LD in big matches.N also,LD doesnt have his achievements as bright as TH.
    So,what's so important about being no 1 in the world for years if he still couldn't beat the achievements of rank8,14...

15. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    So in what BIG matches TH beat LD?

And in what BIG matches LD beat TH?

WHAT is a BIG match?

What did TH win, that LD could not achieve yet? Olympic Gold medal, that's the only thing! Wait till the 2008 Olypics...

Why is it not important to be Number 1? Because TH isn't number 1?

BTW: I really liked TH more then LD (1-2 years ago)... I enjoy to see his technique... But if he does not want to win some titles, why does he not retire? Makes no sense for me to keep playing without being willing to fight for some titles. Doesn't he care for his fans, that support him on every tournament?

When I read this forum I always find posts like this:

TH lost... Oh, so he was not in the mood to play badminton seriously...
    TH won... Oh, of course, because he's the best player...

lol

So I'm the best player in the world, I never beat a world class player, but I just wasn't playing seriously... I'm not going for titles anyway...

For me ALL Super Series titles are important...

World Championchip is very important...

Olympics are also important, but I think there are more important tournaments...

If you only rank players for their olympic medals, then Shoun Seung Mo is the second bet player in the world, because he won the silber medal?

Isn't it a much bigger achievment to dominate the badminton scene for many years by nearly always being number 1, winning the most titles per year for many straight years...

So, I think this was my last post in this thread, I think this was discussed in the forum many time and it makes no sense to do it again...

16. Konnichiwa

Konnichiwa Regular Member

Studente
    LOL just like hong kong recently where he beat taufik in quarterfinals easily right?

17. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    Thanks pjswift, it did take a little time. I researched your question, and it first lists him at World Number 1 as of February 26, 2004. It`s updated weekly, and I noticed that prior to him it was Chen Hong quite a lot...what I would consider frequently, though I`m not taking the time to check every week of every year. But periodic checks from way back to late 2002, right up till February 12, 2004, all showed Chen Hong.

Interestingly, the one exception I did see, was February 19, 2004...the week right before Lin Dan became number 1--and it was Lee Hyun II.

Regards to XT666, I searched the forum and when I searched I found so many posts to look through that after 30 minutes of not finding what I was looking for I started this post.

My thread has kind of changed around, as it can so easily in these forums, which is great. But the point of it was not who`s better, who`s number 1, which is kind of where it goes. I wanted to know what Lin Dan`s weaker points might be. When he loses, why is it happening. Only a few answers have addressed that.

Many people in my post about Chen Jin pointed out that he plays very defensively too often, or that he doesn`t have the killer shot, and some debated his stamina.

These are things that I wanted to discuss about Lin Dan. He`s very good, seems to have good stamina, seems to be now winning most of the big tournaments and games. Just wanted to talk about what areas of his need improvement, or what areas can opponents try and exploit to get a win, which seems to clearly be so difficult "most of the time".

Cheers to everyone!
    Cory

18. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    It's just like in every sport, you can't play 100% all the time...

LD lost last tournament in the first round, even after having 2 match points...

Let's say the top 20 Men single players play all nearly at the same level...

So perhaps LD is 5% below his top form in one match, and his opponent is extra motivated to beat the world number 1...

So LD is not 100% concentrated in a match because he played too many tournaments in the last weeks or months, or wants to save some energie, because in the next round he would meet TH...

Many reason why he can lose...

I don't think it because his game has too much weaknesses...

At such high level of play, you can't always win against an opponent, because your opponents are too strong and you can't always play at 100%.

That's impossible...

That's all... Simple answer!

19. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    xt6666 nailed it perfectly.

20. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    I agree Wilfred. I'm just not sure that there is a player on the circuit who doesn't have weaknesses, including Lin Dan. But I guess hardly anyone knows any...I know I don't.

But that was a very good explanation, xt6666

Cory