Elbow Height in Overhead Shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by KazeCloud, Nov 30, 2007.

1. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Hi. I'm not sure if I've seen this thread before but I want to ask how far should the elbow point upwards in doing an overhead clear/smash starting at the point where the racquet is going to go behind you? I was told to point it upwards pretty high. At what angle would it usually be from the body to the underside of your arms? Thanks.

2. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i can't really explain well. so perhaps this picture can give you an idea. do take in mind its jump smash. but it should be similar, if not the same for all strokes. i'll upload more if i find any.

Attached Files:

3. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I see. Thats the beginning of the stroke. Then the elbow begins to lead correct? How high would that go. Thanks for the picture.

I also have a big question pronating. I'm sure I got it down, however I'm not sure if I should end with my wrist cocked downwards. Or should the whole power of the shot be just from cocked to uncocked? I approach the birdie with the side of the racquet, then turn to hit it square while moving the wrist to hit it down. Is that correct? Or all the power should only be used from the racquet going from the side to square.

#3 KazeCloud, Dec 2, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  4. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    take a stone and throw as far as you can.............;)
    now, do it again in slow motion, notice how and where is your elbow to maximize the power to throw that stone......:)
    now, do it again;
    1. how you stand? sideway?
    2. body rotate to front?

5. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    here are a variety of positions. take note that extreme overheads, lyk the one Chen Jin is hitting when in the red shirt, naturally lowers the height of everything. and also take note of the very correct elbow height in the last pic :p:p

i'm having trouble loading some pics into this forum that i have already uploaded into another thread. how can i allow you to see the photos in this thread.

Attached Files:

6. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Sometimes, it's best not to worry too much about such things. If you spend your attention on looking at where your elbow is when you hit, then you're already doing something wrong.

7. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Alright guys. I understand the elbow elevation. However do you cock your hand downwards after it is hit? Or is the power only from the "twist" of pronation. In otherwards, do you flick your wrist while pronating. I find it much easier to flick it while pronating.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think you can only post the link to that particular post containing the picture.

9. Baddyfanatic

Baddyfanatic Regular Member

Student
    I have the same question as KazeCloud vbmenu_register("postmenu_743765", true);

10. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    in that case, to KazeCloud and others, find the thread titled "How much angle between....." in this techniques and training forum. i've posted quite a number of photos in that forum, all during, before and after the strokes.