How to Backhand Clear / Improving Speed

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by yotarou, Dec 1, 2007.

1. yotarou

yotarou Regular Member

I have been playing badminton for two years on my high school's varsity badminton team. In 10th grade, I was ranked last for singles and sixth for doubles, and last year, I was ranked third for singles and second for doubles. But, I really want to improve because I want first for both (yeah, I'm ambitious, and greedy).

Well, I still have a lot to work on, but I guess the two weakest areas
    are backhand clears and improving speed.

I can't seem to backhand clear, if it's directed at the baseline. So, what I do is shuffle awkwardly waaay back and off-court so that I can use my forehand, instead. Usually, this works, but uses up a lot of my stamina, and I can't run up to the net quick enough if the opponent drops. So, I lose a lot of points because of this.

I can sort of use my backhand, but it's relatively weak. I use my thumb and sometimes drive if I can. But, I can't seem to clear it hard and far. And I think it'd really improve my game if I learn how to... So does anyone have any good tips to learn how to?

Also, my footwork sucks. I end up running toward the net if it's a drop, even though I know it'd be quicker if I used fewer steps. Is it shuffle, left, right? Do I hop?? My friend, who is a lot better than me, says to hop once, then push off the leg to get to the birdie faster. And I'm confused--do I have my right foot forward or left foot forward when I'm in ready position? (I'm right-handed.)

Thanks so much in advance. I'd really like to improve before the season starts.

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    well, its easy to handle this. Congrats for the improvements. Basically, when a shot comes backhand and if you are comfortable with clearing to the back, then do it. If you are not, then better to aim for the drop shot be it straight or cross court. Just come back and recover and get ready for the next rally. Even for professionals and if they have a tough back hand coming up, they will do the drop shots and come back to the middle for the next shot. So, there's no one player in the world where they can just clear back hand as of when they like. Use a little of intelligence when dealing this this situation.

Its more of a preparation for you to move to the middle after your shot and get ready instead of you lundging straight to the net from the baseline. Your aim is to move back to the middle after a shot and get ready for the next one. Not just standing there and run coast to coast.

Be compose after a tough shot by going back to the middle and smack them. Hope this propels you to the number one spot. Regards.

3. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    all in the timing and technique. most important thing is not to take a massive swing from the beginning. but i think u should always try hit it forehand. if you don't have enough stamina for that, u need to work on that. and if you can't get to the net quick enough, speed up your footwork with drills

4. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    backhand clear instructional video

Check out these tutorials (the first one's about the backhand clear):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uqiR2vVn-J8

The complete mechanics for the backhand clear is also explained in detail (as well as other strokes) in our book, "Advanced Badminton Techniques" available at http://instructoons.com/book