Eyesight Check for Umpires and Linesmen

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Open 2007' started by X Ball, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Ok, assuming we give the benefits of doubt to them in the CO and HKO that the bad calls were not made to the advantage of Chinese players, can we say that the calls were made because they have bad eyesight ?

Has anyone actually considered such bad calls could be bad eyeight which cannot pick up things which are too far ? I would like to hear your opinions.:D:D

2. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    i think.. we don't need to debate about that anymore :D .. :D

3. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    yeah....
    LD did comment on background lites reflects.......:)
    thus, officials need to take off or hide their tags and put away their seating's tag(not really know what it calls....) :p:p:p

4. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Well, my thoughts are different as it seems to me that everyone believes they are just judgemental errors and if so, are they eyesight related ? Worth a discussion.

5. winston

winston Regular Member

Executive
    I spent a few days in the Hong Kong Super Series and I agree with Kwun that the linesman did a decent job in calling the lines. I can't speak for CO since I wasn't there. The only incident I can remember in HKSS is in the MS Final where a linesman call a shot out and LD believes it was in and complain to the umpire, since the bird actually landed very close to where the umpire was sitting and the umpire overruled the call by the linesman. Attached is the picture of the moment that the incident happened. LCW wasn't very happy at first, but very quickly move on and didn't let it affect his playing. The second pictures are the linesman watching the matches while waiting for their next duty..

Attached Files:

6. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    yes, and it is worth of discussion for other matters too.......
    one may compare to other sports, such as tennis whereas line calls are very important, accurate and fast too(not call out only when player is hitting the balls, is when the balls touch the ground)....
    some criteria;
    1. umpire - well known to the rules? are they certified? meetings to discuss on matches?(this is done in World Cup, referees did meet up to discuss what kind of tactics or expectations of teams)
    2. line judges - well trained to observe? rules? or just sitting there daydreaming?
    3. service judge - observing the serves or just do the shuttles changing? helping umpire to observe matches?(as assistant to umpire)
    4. officials - observing matches or just sitting aside just chit-chatting? or keep in contact with umpire throughout the matches?

these, i can think of for now......

7. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    yeah, i did notice that. they are more in focus. maybe due to some incidents in CO.............:)

8. AChan

AChan Regular Member

Rehabilitation
    I was just lucky enough to sit beside the linesman, closer to the floor and watching one of a controversial shuttle down to the outer edge of baseline during LCW & LD match, it dropped quickly but I am sure it was in as the decision of linesman. :cool: Althought LCW didn't agree with that, sometimes, player has their objective expectation at that critical moment.

Attached Files:

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    it is obvious your suspicion is rooted in jealousy of china's bad. team success while u dont know china all that much.

first, i can say with certainty that players arent 100% right either, do lcw need eyesight check as well? Since he mishit the shuttle and stuck a shuttle on his 900P, is miss hitting the sweetspot put doubt on his eyesight more so than doubting linesman's eyesight?

second, HK people aren't as pro china like u think. When chen jin walkout, a pro-china audience wouldnt be booing the walkover. There are controversies and excuses made in every tournament results it seem, dont make it all it seem favoring china only. There are some honest errors made by both line judges and players as well.

Attached Files:

#9 cooler, Dec 2, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  10. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    true............:)
    however, the umpire, service judge, line judges need to be firmed, accurate and confident. they will be shaking if objections being make by players.
    if the umpire and judges are confident, we as spectators will fully support them and not to certain players.....:)

11. dannyang

dannyang Regular Member

I see I see. you are sitting closed to the lineman. you are the one carring a camera. that's enough info for me to find you by replaying the video. and I will put your photo on BC. :D

12. winston

winston Regular Member

Executive
    AChan and Kwun of BC in action alongside with the HD (High Definition) TV camera from TVB (Hong Kong No.1 TV Statation). HD badminton video, COOL :) I really envy you guys can move into differnt positions and take pictures, for me I can only shoot from the seat where I was assigned. :crying:

Attached Files:

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    also, if i recall correctly, the umpire in charge of the LD vs. LCW match is from Japan.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    BC cameraman/woman caught in action!

that TV camera is pretty impressive btw, it is 7-161mm f/1.6!

15. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    korean..........??

16. victory

victory Regular Member

Umpires and linemen in CO and HKO are obviuosly bias! While some of you say the umpire and even yourself see the incident, do not forget that there are many spectatles see some of the calls are bad. And HK spectatles are fair, they will shout out their dissatisfaction.

How do I know? I was in HK watching the match between Taufik and LD last year. There were at least 2 line calls that were bad calls in favour of LD. Taufik was so furiuos that he argued with one of the linewoman. He quit in less that 10 minutes out of frustration.The spectatles including me can see very clearly and we shouted out our dissatisfaction. The stadium in HK is not very big. Therefore the seating is arranged quite steep. Most of the spectatles can see clearly just looking down at the courts.

I was not in CO and HKO this year. But we have video recording and people talk when they see something not right. There is not argument when it comes to the fairness of umpire and lineman in CO and HKO. They need to improve in this area obviuosly.

The chinese team can win as many titles as they want but if they keep winning in this fashion the gold metal mean nothing.( I have nothing against the chinese team btw but as a badminton fan, I just can't bear to see the cotamination in CO and HKO). Also I am not trying to provoke any arguments, I just want to voice my 2 cents honest comment.

17. sepang

sepang Regular Member

Whenever the call favor in one side or another side, it is tough to simply make it a ball call unless we can see it clearly. New technology or instant replay equipment should be invested in the SS game to improve its integrity. After all, no one can say bad thing on linemens (most) who are trying to the best they can with their naked eyes.

18. jeff-bad

jeff-bad New Member

engineer
    I am from U.S. and currently working in Hong Kong. I don't know what is the history of the past tournament and what it got to do with China Open. As far as I observed this year Hong Kong Open is a very clean tournament. Both the spectactor and the official are fair. They applaude and cheer for Malaysian team, Indonesian team when they play well just as hard for the Hong Kong or Chinese team. They boo the Chinese team when they WO..

19. NisroL_JR

NisroL_JR Regular Member

Teacher
    when they want to start using techonology as tennis did??

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.