How should I improve smash speed?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by aznchopstix89, Dec 2, 2007.

1. aznchopstix89

aznchopstix89 Regular Member

Hey im now a college student and I have been playing badminton for a while now, 3-4 years. Anyways, I consider myself as a C+ player, not quite B-. When I play other pairs, their smashes are always faster than mine, which isnt that much of a deal because I can easily return then(yay to good defense). However, when I smash, it takes a LONG time to win the point because my smash is relatively slower than theirs. My Angle on the smash is good, just I have maxed out my speed on my smash, yet its still not quite fast enough. Any suggestions?
    Where does the power come from? I keep hearing forearm pronation..someone wanna clearify it for me? thanks!

2. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    If you are confident that your angle is good, work on your placement of the smash. Speed is not necessary all the time. Though it is nice to have a fast smash.

3. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    hm.... another same question to answer
    1. contact point with shuttle, 90 degree to stringbed
    2. snap down using wrist power
    3. additional speed with gripping tight to handle at contact's moment
    now, go to gym and keep training........:):):)

4. NovJoe

NovJoe Regular Member

IT
    To train your wrist power, you can also use a 1 litre or 1.5 litre water bottle and fill it 75% full. Then you grap the bottle and twist anti-clockwise if you are a right hander, and vice versa.

The un-eveness of the water level will force you to control the strength on your wrist in different directions, as well as your grips. The other way is to use light weights and do the same actions.

5. aznchopstix89

aznchopstix89 Regular Member

im pretty sure my arm is big enough...the thing is, i dont think its brute force that im lacking; maybe certian little aspects that make a difference in technique. I know plenty of girls(A level) whose arms are tiny, but smash just as fast as me.
    And btw. yes i do contact 90 degrees from the string bed and i do have a loose grip til the contact point where then i tighten my grip.

im not saying my current smash is slow...its just not FAST as it should be