Men's Doubles: 2007 Review and Outlook for 2008

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Open 2007' started by badMania, Dec 3, 2007.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

This was posted in the China Badminton forum. I thought it was an excellent and very objective review written by a Chinese fan (who happens to be an active member of BC too :D). So, let me re-post it here with some translation:

07男双回顾及08展望

07年基本是3+1的形势,古/陈统治年初,风云年中,马亨年末,另外钟李扮演搅局者的角色。成绩上古陈4个超级赛(大马,全英,瑞士,丹麦),风云4个超级赛(新加坡,印尼,中国1,法国),马亨世锦赛外加两个超级赛(中国2,香港)。

2007 is basically a 3+1 situation, with Koo/Tan reigning supreme in the early months, Fu/Cai in mid-year, and Kido/Hendra in the late months of this year; with an additional Choong/Tan who plays the role of a "disruptor" (maybe there's a better word for it :D). In terms of results: 4 Super Series for Koo/Tan and Fu/Cai and 2 Super Series + the World Championships for Kido/Hendra.

当前的趋势及08展望:

Current situation and 2008 outlook:

1。古陈:配合上遇到瓶颈。很明显还有潜力但是发挥不出来。08如没有突破,奥运会上估计还是爆冷出局的命。

1. Koo/Tan: partnership started to meet some bottlenecks. Obviously this pair still has the untapped potential to go far. If they have no further improvements in 2008, then they will probably suffer an upset in the Olympics. (My own opinion: a very sobering thought indeed).

2。风云:基本就是这个样子了。彩云年龄渐老,付海峰的能力貌似也稍有下滑。08重压下遇到另外三对将是下风球。

2. Fu/Cai -- basically, they will still be as they are right now. Cai Yun is getting older and Fu Haifeng's stamina looks to have detoriated now. With the pressure of 2008, they seem to have no advantage against the other 3 pairs.

3。马亨:闷声发大财的典范。在古陈风云风光无限的时候默默进步,打法更加老练丰富。08我个人基于以下原因最看好这一对:

3. Kido/Hendra -- quietly but assuredly, they have improved are making some impressions, despite living under the shadows of the other 2 pairs mentioned above, and this year also happened to be the moments of glory for the Chinese and Malaysian pairs (or in Bahasa Indonesia: diam diam tapi menghanyutkan....hahaha...:D). They have increasingly become more matured and varied in their gameplay. And because of the reasons below, I think this pair will be the one to watch out for in 2008:

- 年龄。马亨同为23岁,经验体力都正好。这次香港赛是马亨连续打的第三个赛事(中公之前有一个印尼全国赛),却没有表现出任何体力精力的问题。几天后他们将参加东南亚运动会团体和单项赛事。

Age: both players are 23 years old, with good stamina as well as ample experience by now. They have played 3 continuous tournaments in the past 3 weeks, yet, they were not plagued by fatigue. In addition, they are going to compete in the SEA Games next week.

- 技战术。从前感觉这一对有点“傻”,球路比较死板,最近几次比赛聪明了很多。亨德拉前半场我个人感觉比古建杰还要好一点点点,技术精良,速度快,下手狠。

Skill: used to think that this pair was a little "silly" and dull in their game, however, they have become smarter in the last few tournaments. (the next sentence has been translated -- referring to Hendra's net play)

- 心理。这一对可以说是中华地区男双之王。这两年就拿到了06,07中公,06,07香港和07台北的冠军。丢掉的大师赛场面上也是占优的。早已习惯观众用中文为对手加油,加之不懂中文,说一百次“打断他的腿”估计他们也不会在意。

Mental: this pair can be considered as the King of Men's Doubles in the Greater China region, with titles in the Hong Kong and China Opens in the past two years and the Chinese-Taipei GP Gold. They even had the advantage in the match that they lost in the China Masters this year. They are already used to Chinese supporters and because they don't understand Chinese, 100 times of "break his leg" won't affect them :p

- 对手。马亨对风云06,07单项赛是2:1。全部三场比赛都是在按照马亨的节奏进行。对钟李场面上没什么优势,但是钟李总是会犯错误的。对古陈的0:6是最为人所詬病的,不过一来古陈翻船的可能性不小,二来如果古陈不解决配合问题,我相信08年将是马亨翻身的一年。

Opponent: Record against Fu/Cai in 2006/2007 is (2-1) (my correction: should be even at 2-2 last year and 1-1 this year). Fu/Cai basically had to play all the 3 matches under Kido/Hendra's pace and control. Although Kido/Hendra have no obvious advantage over Choong/Lee, Choong/Lee are prone to making crucial errors. The most embarrassing record will be the 0-6 record against Koo/Tan (strongly agreed :cool:). Nevertheless, the chances of Koo/Tan losing in an upset is not small either, and if Koo/Tan could not solve the problems in their partnership, I believe that 2008 will be the year of Kido/Hendra!

- 状态。06,07马亨都是夏秋之交开始发彪。

Form: in both 2006 and 2007, Kido/Hendra are on fire only after summer.

4。钟李:好象一枚伪劣地雷,有时候随便踩,一发威如来佛祖也炸上天去。二老混迹江湖十几年,总是功亏一匮,屡屡优势下得意忘形被人反超。奥运是最后的机会,同时身上又没有压力(压力都在古陈身上),发威的可能性还是相当大的。只是半决赛决赛时精力体力可能是个问题。

4. Choong/Lee --this pair is like a landmine...there will be times when they are on great form and they can basically blow any opponents away. These two veteran players have been around for more than 10 years and yet always failed at the crucial times, especially when they surrendered a healthy lead and eventually lost the match (a good example will be the Singapore Open Final to Fu/Cai). The Olympics will be their last chance and with no pressure on their side (all the pressure will be on their team-mate: Koo/Tan), the chances of them being on fire is pretty big. The remaining question is whether they have ample stamina to last in the Semi-Final and Final.

08奥运,夺冠概率我认为马亨最大,古陈风云钟李差不多。其他组合碰上这几对的任何一对都是下风球,但是想夺冠至少要灭其中两个,因此没有什么希望。从过往奥运看,男双冠军都是实至名归(92朴/金,96苏/迈,00陈/吴,04金/河),从无意外出现。

I personally think that the chance of Kido/Hendra winning the Gold in the Olympics is the highest (that's a real compliment coming from a Chinese). Other pairs will be at a disadvantage when they meet these 4 pairs, since they would have to beat at least two of them to have any chance of a medal, so, not much hope for them. From the previous Olympics, the Gold-Medallists usually are worthy winners (92: Park/Kim; 96: Ricky/Rexy; 00: Tony/Candra; 04: Ha/Kim); there are usually no surprise winners :cool:
    [​IMG]

#1 badMania, Dec 3, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  2. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    wow... nice review and outlook for MK/HS

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Note: This was written by a CHINESE FAN, not me! That proves that those ppl who understand badminton do give Kido/Hendra credits for their achievements this year.

4. floorfilla

floorfilla Regular Member

Geezzz:cool:... That was one hell of an analysis!!.. The mandarin version is more passionate in terms of expressions.. but the english version is just as good cos it helps me understand the article more.. my mandarin is 'rusty' already..:D:D:D

i really hope for the best for kido/hendra in 2008.. and years to come...

5. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    It's still too early to predict who will win the Olympic, by May-June of 08, picture will be clearer as the pair peak at the right time will be the one cross the finishing line. Don't under-estimate the Japanese and Taiwanese pairs as they may do as much damage to the top team as Choong/Lee.

6. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

It's hard to predict nowadays.
    Who would have thought the Malaysian pairs would be this decadent right after the AE07 in such short notice other than permuda. Well many knows they will but not so fast.
    How many Ina fans would thought MK/HS would become this successful one week before the World Championship? I read comments from Ina fans that they can only count on CW/TG while MK/HS and Lulvent are rotting during that times.

I don't know but could be the Korean or Japanese next on the limelights and for all you know XZB/GZD, Fairuz/Zakry, Alvent/Luluk are giving their shots too.

I hope for the best for quality games in 2008.

7. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

MK/HS are fine as long as their friends from Japan and Taiwan help them. :D

About their 3 losses to Cai/Fu. One is a group stage match in the invitational worldcup, another is a team match in group stage in AG, only the last one is a formal individual event, and there are controversies about that one. ;) Their two wins (06CO, 07HKO) are very convincing, total domination. I will bet on MK/HS if they meet Cai/Fu.

8. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

excellent review badmania, keep translating from the chinese forums, very informative for the rest of us.:)

9. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Good review! but I think 08 is still too far for anybody to predict. I think the Danes and Koreans has a good chance to upset any of those pairs too (+TG/CW), so there are many uncertainties outside of those 4.

Overall I think MD is the most competitive field among all 5 categories. But if I have to pick a favor for 08 now, I would agree with the author.

10. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I agree, still many months to improve. Not forgetting the Koreans.
    And of course the infamous line judging, China home ground advantage/pressure.

For 2007, Samuel and a few others already did a review, just info from China fan is interesting.
    2007 belong to the top 3 pairs, each taking turns to dominate, win, and as I've said in another thread, Kido/Setiawan seem to be the one to play catch-up and overtake quietly.

This fan seem to have respect for our oldies CTF/LWW, more than we Msians do. The government and Sports Council and fans(like fastdrop said) should support them more.

And who knows, an unknown pair might rise up right during OG, remember KKK/TBH appeared only one Open tourney bf AG 2006, totally new pair.
    Then they shocked every opponent, went on to win AG.

OG 2004 was using the old system, now NSS, anything can happen. Who knows, could be lower ranked pair that nobody paid attention too. There're 2.5 months between May-Aug 08 for further training.
    Remember too(Badmania would know better), Kido/Hendra were down the dumps 1st 6 months of 2007. They rose to the occasion to win WC.

#10 eaglehelang, Dec 3, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  11. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Well. To said the MAS pairs was flopped after AE07 was not fair. Koo/Tan did not win the MCO & DO by merely just luck. And Choong/Lee , the runners-up at MCO too.. Yes, they failed the fans' expectation during the WC in their home ground, but we shall see which pair can be able to peak next summer..
    Koo/Tan : it will depends on the draws in each tournament they participate, if they get some "easy" or rather lower ranks pair, they have the higher chances to failed -- Eg : Taiwanese; Japanese pairs.
    Choong/Tan : They are indeed can be a helpful tools for Koo/Tan if they were placed in the same half of draws -- They able to eliminated some pairs which Koo/Tan usually find it too hard to handle with..
    Skilwise, the top 3 pairs is almost equal i would say.. Who will prevail, it will be much depends on the forms on the match day:cool:

12. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Well, this is not my first time writing this: u can just WRITE OFF Tony/Candra for the Olympics. They are SIMPLY NOT GOING THERE :cool:

13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Unlike the Asian Games, a pair HAS TO QUALIFY for the Olympics. So, its IMPOSSIBLE for an unknown pair to rise up to the occassion :rolleyes: He has to be at least in the top 30 since only 16 pairs will qualify.

14. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I don't know about other fans, but I have written in my other thread that this pair has the potential to win the major titles....it's only a matter of times.

Once again, taken from my own comments post the SEA Games in 2005:
    "They have yet proven that they can take the no 1 double spot in the near future. Let's hope they are more consistent next year. I have great hopes for them. Next year, their focus will be to break into the top 5 and win some big titles. They have beaten most of the top 10 pair (except maybe for Fu/Cai and Eriksen/Hansen) this year and they will definitely be a world class pair in 1-2 years time."

INA CAN NOT rely on Tony/Candra because they are NO LONGER in the national team. Period.

15. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Is it a coincidence also that Kido/Hendra normally tend to peak only in the second half of the year in 2006 and 2007?

This year, it will be an over-statement to write that they are rotting before the World Championships:
    Malaysia Open -- Semi-Final defeat to Koo/Tan (eventual Champion)
    Korea Open -- Quarter-Final defeat to Jung/Lee (eventual Champion)
    All England -- R16 defeat to Han/Yoo (the only fluke)
    Singapore Open -- Semi-Final defeat to Choong/Lee
    Indonesia Open -- Quarter-Final defeat to Koo/Tan
    -- the same amount of defeat as in the second half of the year :cool:

16. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    It's pretty easy to come up with the 4 pairs of 2007. They are the only winners of major titles this year. It is also pretty straightforward to say Kido/Setiawan are the best bets for 2008, because they end 2007 on fire.

However, at the very least I think he failed to mention the Korean pair of LYD/JJS.

Also, I wouldn't discount the inclusion of Tony/Candra. In the Olympics regulations, Tony may still be Indonesian. The only other Indo pair who can possibly upstage Tony/Candra are Luluk/Alven, but they are not very consistent, and who knows, come selection time, Tony/Candra may be the best bet after Kido/Setiawan.

17. badMania

badMania Regular Member

As far as I know, Japanese and Chinese-Taipei pairs only do damage to Koo/Tan at the moment, not to Fu/Cai or Kido/Hendra :p But, I do agree that they have improved a lot. The Japanese pair can actually give a fight to Korean pair.

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

For the last time......they are NOT GOING! Enough said about them.

19. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I have watched Fang Chieh-Min/Lee Sheng-Mu and Tadashi Ohtsuka/Keita Masuda in the Hong Kong Open. I have to agree that they are really good pairs and were quite impressive. Fang Chieh-Min actually gave Nova/Butet lots of problems in their XD match, which stretched to rubber-sets.

The Chinese fans also wrote good things about the Chinese-Taipei pair when they defied all odds and reached the Semi-Finals :eek:

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I guess..

(thanks for sharing the interesting comments, badMania)..:cool:
    ..the bottom line & the remaining question for Hendra & Markis to answer is: when are they going to finally win over KKK & TBH? I think as long as they are still winless against their MAS counterparts, the jury will still be, somewhat, out on them...;):cool: