User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 129
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ipoh, Malaysia
    Posts
    1,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default I wish for peace in these threads

    Dear BC members,

    I am writing this to ask for peace in these threads. There have been a lot of threads being closed due to the negative nature of their postings. In fact some members have resorted to attacking other members either personally or attacking each other countries and cultures.

    Please remember that we are all here because we love badminton. And all this while we take pride that badminton is a gentleman's game. But lately I have seen the ugly side of badminton fans that seems to go out of hand. I know people have been angry at some things that is happening in the badminton arena but do attacking each other personally and each other country is right? We are supposed to share our thoughts and agree to disagree amicably when we know we cannot see eye to eye. What we want is to say our piece and should other people start to get too angry and irrational, we should stop for the sake of peace.

    A lot of the things being said are merely strong suspicions and not hard core evidence and thus it is surely foolish of us all to argue endlessly about things that we don't know for sure is the truth. More so when we make it personal by attacking a person intelligence level or worse their country. I have read China being called a communist (meant in a bad way) and Malaysia being called a turd. How is this good? Tell me what good does it do to say things like this? And worse people just stay hard headed and never apologize for the bad things they say.

    So let this thread be a place where those who have said things that offended other people simply to win their arguments to apologize. Those who are really a gentleman will do so because even if it is not your fault because you did not start it in the first place, the things you say still offends people. Hopefully we will see gentlemen showing all of us what being polite and cultured is by being a bigger man and saying sorry for the things they said that may have offended other people (intentionally and unintentionally) and let me be the first to apologize for any words that offended anybody in the course of my stay here. Hopefully after that we could start to focus on the thing that binds us all here in the first place................badminton.

  2. #2
    Regular Member george@chongwei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    29,945
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile

    peace..........................................

  3. #3
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,915
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    very well said. i totally agree.

    a few bad oranges spoils the basket. aside from asking everyone to behave, we will continue to remove anyone who cannot control their own behavior in order to maintain peace in BC.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,189
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Remember, what you write is a reflection of yourself. So, resorting to personal attacks, derogatory remarks or just plain insults will not be complimentary to yourself.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UBC, Fremont, California
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i agree..........please be peaceful here, and keep badmintoncentral the way it is

  6. #6
    Regular Member wilfredlgf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by azabaz_ipoh View Post
    Please remember that we are all here because we love badminton. And all this while we take pride that badminton is a gentleman's game.
    Then what are you doing here?

  7. #7
    Regular Member Sgbad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yup, agree. As everybody here is from all over the world, the way of saying things and perspective of things are different. Take for instance, the world "idiot" could be a common term in the western countries, but such a word might be taboo in more conservative countries. So i hope, fellow BCers here will be more understanding and accommodating to each other.

    -P.S I apologize if i have offended anyone in that example that i gave.-

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ipoh, Malaysia
    Posts
    1,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    because i believe gentlemen is a concept and not only applicable to one gender. i could be politically correct and maybe use the term gentleperson but really why do we bother with such trivial matters. plus it does not sound nice does it, gentleperson...?huh.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by azabaz_ipoh View Post
    ...I have read China being called a communist (meant in a bad way) and Malaysia being called a turd. ...
    He was not just calling China communist. He was saying Chinese could kill, poison, and kidnap foreign badminton players and their relatives to ensure winning titles in China and for OG 08. The turd comparison was a response to all of that, not just communist comments. There is an extent anyone can tolerate that kind of insult to 1/4 of the world population and a nation. It was no longer a discussion, rather becoming self-defense by Chinese people .

    I'm totally with you about the need for good behaviors in BC. Since I'm not in any medal winning counties, I care less who win or lose. But sometimes attacking gets out of hand, we all have the responsibilities to set the record straight or to remove the offender permanently to ensure fairness.
    In addition to your suggestions, I'd like to see that dialogues be more constructive in nature. I've seen a lot use of cheating lately. If there were evidence to support the claims, they would be fine. But, most of the time, they were just suspicions. Some BCers equate cheating with wrong and bad behavior or possible unprofessional and unethical conduct. Cheating to me has more sinister meaning. In US, sports cheating are big time offense, often associated with criminal activities, like drug uses, etc. So when BCers are calling matches in badminton tournaments were cheated or players were cheating, it leaves a black eye and bad name to the sports. I would really hope BCers will refrain from using this word in their discussions .

    I hope I stayed somewhat on the topic since this thread sounds like a good place for new ideas. Cheers! .
    Last edited by Birdwood; 12-05-2007 at 01:43 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    LuckyTown
    Posts
    777
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Haha! azabaz_ipoh has become a peace activist, with the old "Let's make peace, not war" slogan
    Just joking, but you're totally right

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdwood View Post
    . I've seen a lot use of cheating lately. If there were evidence to support the claims, they would be fine. But, most of the time, they were just suspicions. Some BCers equate cheating with wrong and bad behavior or possible unprofessional and unethical conduct. Cheating to me has more sinister meaning. In US, sports cheating are big time offense, often associated with criminal activities, like drug uses, etc. So when BCers are calling matches in badminton tournaments were cheated or players were cheating, it leaves a black eye and bad name to the sports. I would really hope BCers will refrain from using this word in their discussions .
    We can only have suspicions based on facts such as the frequent walkover. But we can never prove by ourselves that for example a coach ordered one of his player to do a walkover for a specific reason, or that linesmen were biased just because they are from a certain country. Fans cannot gather any evidence on this, sbecause they are not allowed near any team.

    Since you're in the US, you're accustomed on how the justice system works. There is a suspect when you gather some suspicious facts about him. It doesn't mean he did it, it just means he's a suspect. And that warrants further investigation by the order and judicial system, not by the common people.
    The same should apply to a team suspicious of misconducts in badminton. It is not to the fans to conduct the investigation because they do not have any authority on this, but the IBF.

    Oops. Me too, I hope I haven't strayed too far from the discussion.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Haha! azabaz_ipoh has become a peace activist, with the old "Let's make peace, not war" slogan
    Just joking, but you're totally right



    We can only have suspicions based on facts such as the frequent walkover. But we can never prove by ourselves that for example a coach ordered one of his player to do a walkover for a specific reason, or that linesmen were biased just because they are from a certain country. Fans cannot gather any evidence on this, sbecause they are not allowed near any team.

    Since you're in the US, you're accustomed on how the justice system works. There is a suspect when you gather some suspicious facts about him. It doesn't mean he did it, it just means he's a suspect. And that warrants further investigation by the order and judicial system, not by the common people.
    The same should apply to a team suspicious of misconducts in badminton. It is not to the fans to conduct the investigation because they do not have any authority on this, but the IBF.

    Oops. Me too, I hope I haven't strayed too far from the discussion.
    I agree with you 100% on walkout and walkover. I don't like them either. But bending the rules within the boundary is not illegal. Sport cheating in US is often illegal. If you recalled recent news about a track and field star returning medals to OG or a baseball all-time home-runner got indicted. So equating WO with cheating gives rise to a terrible perception about badminton to the public. All I'm asking is try to avoid using that word unless necessary and use a different word to describe it or qualify the remark. That would be better for everyone involved with this sports.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is the internet and in the world of the internet we see all sorts of things, the good, the bad, the very bad, and sometimes the debate can degenerate into a free-for-all. This is life or rather life in the internet. That is why we have moderators but even with moderators things can get a bit silly and sometimes a bit too hot. Also moderators are human and can sometimes be less than perfect or be 100% neutral.
    The most sensitive topic in this forum is to accuse or insinuate that a country or a coach or a player of a country of some wrong doing. This will invite counter attacks from members with sympathy with that country.
    The next most sensitive topic is to accuse any badminton authorities of all sorts of heinous crimes. Unlike attacks against another country's coach or players, attacks against badminton authorities are almost never brought to their attention and therefore not considered or rebutted.
    Maybe this is the reason why we have so many members who have never contributed anything to this forum.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dallas,TX. (From India)
    Posts
    983
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ahh, another major issue is personal attacks. While it is hugely beneficial for members to share their knowledge, it gets real wild when one tries to prove that the other one is wrong or vice versa. If you ask me, there is no right or wrong, it is all for the benefit of the other BC members here & no one should take an argument too personal…..

    “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.”
    -- Mohandas Gandhi

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ipoh, Malaysia
    Posts
    1,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i just think that, yes, we all get sensitive sometimes. we might feel insulted sometimes. but maybe sometimes the other party did not mean it that way. if they did, all i wish for is the ability to apologize. and if we ourselves get mad and say things we regret then we should apologize too. like siblings. siblings bicker and fight and say things that hurt each other but in the end they will forgive each other. i wish we could all be like that. one big happy family with a few black sheeps but heck we love those black sheeps nonetheless.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dallas,TX. (From India)
    Posts
    983
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Respect is earned from humbleness, not arrogance!!!!
    It is okay to be wrong once in a while, after all, we are all humans & we are allowed to be wrong sometimes.
    Last edited by malayali; 12-05-2007 at 08:34 PM.

  16. #16
    Moderator drifit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Posts
    6,428
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malayali View Post
    Respect is earned from humbleness, not arrogance!!!!
    It is okay to be wrong once in a while, after all, we are all humans & we are allowed to be wrong sometimes.
    dear God,
    please forgive my wrong doings in 2007................

    dear BC members,
    please do forgive me if i have done anything that might hurt.........


  17. #17
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,721
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Haha! azabaz_ipoh has become a peace activist, with the old "Let's make peace, not war" slogan
    Just joking, but you're totally right



    We can only have suspicions based on facts such as the frequent walkover. But we can never prove by ourselves that for example a coach ordered one of his player to do a walkover for a specific reason, or that linesmen were biased just because they are from a certain country. Fans cannot gather any evidence on this, sbecause they are not allowed near any team.

    Since you're in the US, you're accustomed on how the justice system works. There is a suspect when you gather some suspicious facts about him. It doesn't mean he did it, it just means he's a suspect. And that warrants further investigation by the order and judicial system, not by the common people.
    The same should apply to a team suspicious of misconducts in badminton. It is not to the fans to conduct the investigation because they do not have any authority on this, but the IBF.

    Oops. Me too, I hope I haven't strayed too far from the discussion.
    Not to worry, but may I refer you to your using "IBF" instead of "BWF" (Badminton World Federation has replaced IBF many moons ago ). Hope you're not doing it on purpose as I've noticed you've used the wrong initials before.

    Regarding the badminton officials, in particular line judges, maybe we should give them the benefit of doubt initially but if they should make wrong calls once too often then they should be replaced! The rules allow for that and of course an alert umpire could overrule wrong calls on his side of the court where he can see clearly but not on the opposite side.

    Human errors are to be expected but if it is suspected that some errors are intentional, then it is not fair to the victim player and his fans. Officials should realize that errors can be spotted over the TV, such as replays, for the world to see. So it is not good publicity for the organisers if their offcials are suspected or found to be biased or incompetent. Although the Referee has the power to put matters right on the spot, it seems his powers have not been invoked as often enough.

    As many posters have agreed, the present state of affairs regarding officiaiting has not been up to the mark for important matches especailly. However, in the absence of a more superior method, like the use of electronic devices, we have to make-do with existing facilities and manpower.

    Still some improvement can be introduced, like making sure that the officials (adequately trained for the purpose), including the umpire and referee, are not from the same country as the players in action, at least for advanced matches like from QF onwards. This is to prevent unnecessary disputes that the officials are biased against the foreign players. BWF and the tournament organizers must be prepared to set up a budget to recruit foreign officials.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Inner Peace
    By Pete LSD in forum USA West
    Replies: 12
    : 08-31-2011, 01:46 AM
  2. Help me find peace
    By Dorythefish in forum Broken Rackets
    Replies: 75
    : 01-07-2011, 07:05 PM
  3. Un-replied threads... and similar threads
    By limsy in forum Forum Feedback
    Replies: 6
    : 12-16-2008, 04:58 AM
  4. Rest in Peace....!!!!!
    By crashandburn in forum General Forum
    Replies: 10
    : 12-13-2007, 03:55 PM
  5. I wish for peace in these threads
    By azabaz_ipoh in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 2
    : 12-04-2007, 01:43 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •