User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SaintDragon View Post
    Just remember that a common mistake is that girls tend to stay too close to the front which makes it very hard to cut any shots. Try taking a few steps back from the net (around the service line) and you'll find it easier to hit stuff.
    theres times where i find that even the service line is too close, even for us guys in mens doubles...
    standing 2-3 feet back from the service line is somewhat more effective i've seen, unless the lady is lightening fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chickenpoodle View Post
    theres times where i find that even the service line is too close, even for us guys in mens doubles...
    standing 2-3 feet back from the service line is somewhat more effective i've seen, unless the lady is lightening fast.
    I agree... look at those experience players play, you will get what it means here...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had the same kind of problem when I first started playing mixed doubles! I felt soooooo bad that my partner has to run so much, while I have to stand on the front doing nothing~

I think strategy of your and your partner is also important. Try to hit more net shots~~
    In my case, most of the times my partner hits smash or drop. If he make drop shot, then it is likely that the girl who is on the other team makes net shot.
    I started practicing net shot intensively to increase my probability of winning whenever this kind of situations occurs.
    Throughout practice my mistake on making net shots drastically decreased and our chances to winning increased a lot! In addition, my partner does not run as much as before~~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maron View Post
    I have had the same kind of problem when I first started playing mixed doubles! I felt soooooo bad that my partner has to run so much, while I have to stand on the front doing nothing~

I think strategy of your and your partner is also important. Try to hit more net shots~~
    In my case, most of the times my partner hits smash or drop. If he make drop shot, then it is likely that the girl who is on the other team makes net shot.
    I started practicing net shot intensively to increase my probability of winning whenever this kind of situations occurs.
    Throughout practice my mistake on making net shots drastically decreased and our chances to winning increased a lot! In addition, my partner does not run as much as before~~
    Yo! maron... you are perfectly right!! That's what i tried to say. Thanks... Soon you will be able to cover even more area as you improve... Keep the good work!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chickenpoodle View Post
    ...unless the lady is lightening fast.
    You must be referring to Super Girl / Woman!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Ball(s) don't exist in badminton. I am sure if a ball was used, a lot of badminton rackets would broken. It's shuttlecock, bird or birdie.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

When me and my mixed partner play, we can use the mixed stragety, but have tedency to use more of the men or women's double stragety instead. It's another way of practicing, if you're playing against men's doubles intentionally like us.
    You are right about the whole "ball" issue. However...

1) "When me and my mixed partner play..." Perhaps should be "When my mixed partner and I play"?
    2) "use the mixed stragety" and "women's double stragety" both have "stragety" in them. Strategy perhaps? Same with "tedency" ---> tendency

The grammar ninja has struck!

XD

Hm...for mixed doubles.
    1) Indeed, DO NOT stand too close to the net, all shots will come at you too fast to do much about. Also, short push shots will be able to pass you, which your partner will then have to clear, which means that you will be attacked.
    2) When playing front, racket up. The simple act of doing so, even without the knowledge why or what to do with such a technique, is incredibly useful. (a) Should some shot be BLASTED at you, your racket will already be right near your face and there should be no problem protecting your face. (b) It becomes possible to attack most shots that come anywhere near your racket. A simple movement of your arm to place the racket in position, a simple wrist rotation/push/shot/however you want to name it will then turn your shot into an attack of sorts. (c) Defense also becomes much easier and quicker, for reasons stated above. (d) With your racket up, opponents will hesitate more about dropping it, as if they do not do so with great accuracy, you can smash them.
    3) When playing defense, if the bird is cross-court and deep (far away from you), feel free to move slightly forward (one step is good), as your opponents will find it difficult to clear it over your head, and you can prey upon their cross-drops and cross-smashes aimed towards you. The reason? Their smashes and drops will have to travel farther than compared to hitting their shots straight, which means the bird will have to travel farther and over a longer period of time. Also, since you will be standing slightly closer to the net, you can cut off the drop or smash before it reaches a lower point, and so it becomes possible to drive and/or attack their cross smash/drop. A straight drive/push/fast clear will then put your opponents in a perilous position.
    4) Something very important to do, which will take time, perhaps, and some hard work: Play on the same level as your partner, and as close as possible. Teamwork is key to any pair, and if both play together and play as well as each other, it becomes difficult to find weaknesses in your formation, as there will be no one to pick on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maron View Post

Hey Maron,

As a baseline smashing player....I notice a drop shot is asking for trouble...if your partner cannot smash it...By the way he has to smash real hard and steep to force a lift for you to kill at the net. Apologies to my previous partner...I smashed directly in to her back...and heard a banshee screaming.

A drive or drop from the baseline is quite dangerous as the opposing girl can tap or smash at the net.

You can make the other girl run around by doing the crosscourt net instead of a tumbling net shot and put your racquet up...so the other girl is afraid to come near....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally, i like running around in the back while playing doubles xD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good tips. add some flexibility to cross courts and make your opposite run or the other guys turn to run. action-reaction. Else, just shout. STOP IT!!! U can't be serious!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk to your partner...

He should be lifting/clearing not at all...if he is, make sure he is lifting/clearing the bird to the back. And when I say the back, I mean as far as he can hit consistently to the back.

This will allow you to get ready. If he can't do that, either train him so that he can, or trade him. Defending a X-court smash with a bad clear is impossible.

When you are defending the X-court smash, make sure that your racket is up, and you are on the balls of your feet. Also, turn your body slightly, so you face the smasher.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When it is necessary to lift, the man should normally try to lift straight, not crosscourt.

If the man lifts crosscourt, the woman will have precious little time to scramble across and reach the crosscourt defending position.

There are occasions, however, when a crosscourt lift will gain the attack -- because the opponent is late reaching it. In these situations, it's a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know...depends on what level...

If you are playing against me...a x-court lift would most likely work, as I'm more of a net guy and somewhat slow at the back...

However, if you are playing stronger players at the back, I find x-court lifts ALMOST useless. A x-court drive or push accomplishes the same thing, without the risk of being smashed at.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wun.sun View Post
    I don't know...depends on what level...

If you are playing against me...a x-court lift would most likely work, as I'm more of a net guy and somewhat slow at the back...

However, if you are playing stronger players at the back, I find x-court lifts ALMOST useless. A x-court drive or push accomplishes the same thing, without the risk of being smashed at.
    Well, duh.

Obviously drives, blocks, and pushes are better counter-attacking shots. But sometimes you just have to lift!

It's better to let them smash again than to let them play an immediate net kill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cross-court attack clear sometimes works. It's all about reading the situation properly. If you see that the opposing guy is not ready to move back to attack from that deep corner, an attacking clear can get him to take the shuttle late, so you stay on the attack.

Your partner needs to be aware of the difference between an attack clear and a defensive clear. For the defensive clear, it means moving back into defensive position, but with the attack clear, she needs to watch out for the drop shot return to stay on top of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up For aspiring mixed doubles players...

If you want to watch a great female front court player in action watch Ra Kyung-min partnering Kim Dong-moon in the 2004 All England Open Mixed Doubles semifinal against a young and aggressive Vita Marissa / Nova Widianto pair. She is absolutely stellar in this one with great netkills and smashes, sublime defense and even handles the back court with aplomb. She is a very smart player and the coordination between her and KDM is a pleasure to watch.

You can get the match from Upquark's excellent Badminton Torrents website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post

It's better to let them smash again than to let them play an immediate net kill.
    Depends on the team...

If the girl sucks, play net. If the guy has a insane smash, play net.

Shrugs, mixed has so many 'loopholes' to strategy...

Honestly, if you play net to a someone who cannot put it away, or is slow/not ready...

Don't you love being the guy, only thing we REALLY have to worry about is how hard our smash is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on the team...

If the girl sucks, play net. If the guy has a insane smash, play net.

Shrugs, mixed has so many 'loopholes' to strategy...
    Sure, if there are weaknesses go for them. Just keep in mind that more advanced players won't have those weaknesses.

Don't you love being the guy, only thing we REALLY have to worry about is how hard our smash is
    This only applies to the pressure play. Remember, when you're at the back you see the court a lot better than your partner, so in terms of placing shots into gaps, it's mostly you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast