Stringing machines

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by james567, Dec 5, 2007.

1. james567

james567 New Member

college
    I am new on here.
    And am lookign for a stringing machine and am wundering what is recomended, i would like one which will hopefully last me life tiem and is easy to use and is around the £400 mark
    Anyone have any tips advice would be muchly apreciated

2. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    Gamma makes good badminton stringing machines, but they're pretty pricey. Might want to take a look at Eagnas. They're not the best of quality, but I've been using for 3 or 4 years now and it does the job.

3. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Have a look at http://www.watdon.com/wd_home.html and speak to Francis about them. They seem to be the best priced for new in UK. You could buy cheaper from the US etc but the carriage is very expensive.

4. per fekt

per fekt Regular Member

i just bought the challlenger 1 from watdon wich is my first stringer, it's super service, low prices and good quality!

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I'd look at a Pro's Pro XP Plus - you can bag one of these for FAR less than £400 (more like £350 with badminton equipment included). I wouldn't go for a drop-weight if I were you - they are far slower and more cumbersome than cranks, and your budget will get a very reasonable one of these.

6. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    aha!!just found on w+d didnt realise u cud get the table top pros por xp plus for 199. really quite a good price actually. thats plus delivery and 3 years garantee!cool.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

That's the one I bought. Including badminton kit and VAT, it comes out closer to £260 - but I still consider it a bargain. I don't know if they sell the stand (to convert it into an XP Plus) separately but, since they sell all manner of other spares, I imagine it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I'll be after a Toalson X-ST soon, since I am going professional...

8. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    ahhh!well if ur going to get a new machine....would u consider selling your old pro?

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

That's at least six months off yet! Also, I have modified it beyond all recognition (probably voiding the warranty in the process), so I doubt you'd want it:D.

I've pulled the padding off the K-brackets and put my own on - it's thicker and gives more room between the frames and the bracket (so I can thread string in between).

10. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    also the pros pro has 2 proper clamps underneath right?ideally do i want another 4 erm im not sure is it calld flying clamps the ones that just clip on on top?

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Yes, the PP does have the two swivel clamps, so you don't absolutely need flying clamps - all of my rackets have been done with swivel clamps only up to now. However, they do speed up the stringing process significantly, as it's much easier to move a fly clamp than a swivel clamp.

If you can afford 4 fly clamps and use moderate tension (no more than 26 lbs, say) then I would definitely invest.

12. james567

james567 New Member

college
    Wen you buy a new machine do you get a manual on how to use it?? or do u have to have specific training??

13. angel tech

angel tech Regular Member

I use an old Ektelon H with two flying clamps, and i've looked at newer machines and stayed with the Ektelon.
    This machine is so solid and easy to use i doubt i'll ever change.

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The manuals do cover "how to string", but they're mainly concerned with the nuts and bolts of the machine itself i.e. adjustment and upkeep. I bought mine and dove straight into stringing with absolutely no training whatsoever - it really isn't at all difficult to string a racket; going fast AND doing a good job is where the training comes in.

If you intend to go beyond stringing your own rackets, I would definitely advocate some sort of recognised qualification. Otherwise, just learn from experience:).