How long does a pair of badminton shoes last?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by darkaznboi333, Dec 5, 2007.

1. darkaznboi333

darkaznboi333 Regular Member

Golden Swirl
    I'm planning to buy a pair of badminton shoes and I wented to know how long they last.

The pairs I was planning to buy was:
    Yonex SHB-50 or Yonex SHB-41

Which one is better the SHB-50 or SHB-41? and why does most yonex shoe's don't come in size 12?:confused:

2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    durability;
    1. how active are you?
    2. what type of court?
    3. wear only at badminton court?

size 12, is it UK or US?
    however, bigger than 10, normally only available in higher-end shoe.

3. darkaznboi333

Golden Swirl
    1. I'm going to play 5 times a week.
    2. The type of court; School Gym
    3. I'm going to wear it only on the court.

size 12 US

4. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

your footwork and play-style has a pretty big role in how long your shoes will last. generally i've seen yonex shoes last between 6 months to 2 years.

5. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    wow...... 5 times a week, that is good
    hopefully you school gym isnt a concrete/cement flooring........:p
    why not opt for better shoe such as SHB-56, SHB-71 or SHB-90?
    i have no idea of your local availability.....:eek:

6. Xinguy

Xinguy Regular Member

Part Time Club Player...
    Actually it depends on how u take k of your shoe hehe:D my shb 98 lasted around 1 yrs my shb99 limited edition lasted 6to7months, But some yonex shoe for those cheaper model cant last for very long my shb 98 i got for $90 & it still look new till now:D actually it depend on wat model u buy & how u take k of your shoe...

7. darkaznboi333

Golden Swirl
    The only way I could get new shoes is on the internet and I can't find any place where they sell SHB-56, SHB-71 or SHB-90 in size 12 US. Plus the club I go to, doesn't sell shoe sizes pass 7 US. If I buy shoes that cost more, I afraid that it wouldn't last long because I will be playing for 5 day a week, so why spend more?.

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Badminton shoes are like strings. Both have elasticity and over time will lose some of it. Shoes may show no wear but after 6 months they harden a bit. Strings may last more than 3 months but they lose their punch. Its best to replace them instead of waiting for them to show signs of wear and tear. I got this from my foot podiatrist who did quite a good job getting my troublesome leg almost back to normal. He also asked me to throw away my badminton shoes which still looked very good to me

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Badminton shoes are like strings. Both have elasticity and over time will lose some of it. Shoes may show no wear but after 6 months they harden a bit. Strings may last more than 3 months but they lose their punch. Its best to replace them instead of waiting for them to show signs of wear and tear. I got this from my foot podiatrist who did quite a good job getting my troublesome leg almost back to normal. He also asked me to throw away my badminton shoes which still looked very good to me, and insisted that I get a new pair. I gave my old pair to a friend and biught a new pair. It does make a difference.

10. darkaznboi333

Golden Swirl
    Wait! Your badminton shoes gave you leg troubles and your foot podiatrist told you to throw away your shoes that still looked good and instead of throwing them away, you gave it to a friend. Wouldn't he/she get leg troubles from the old shoes too?:confused:

11. VegiSmash

VegiSmash Regular Member

Try non-Yonex?

I gave up on Yonex shoes. While they are comfortable, the uppers last only about 6 months, 1 year max with the sole still looking very good.
    Ended up with Asics Gel; excellent and highly durable, probably used it for 3 years (and much cheaper than Yonex too). Currently using a Puma (two weeks old).
    However, please do consider taneepak's comments.

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Actually, I wear a custom made pair of foot orthoses that cost me an arm and a leg. I began to have pains on my right knee and the podiatrist examined my playing shoes and told me that was the problem and told me to get a new pair immediately. For people not requiring custom made foot orthoses I don't think my pair of old shoes would do harm, as I gave him the original insoles that came with the shoes. He is a young man and doesn't seem to mind although I do see him wearing a knee brace, even prior to having my shoes.

13. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    viva to viartril's and power cushion..........
    :D:D:D

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Sounds like Viartril is similar to Viartril-S, a glucosamine for older people with cartilage problems. Young people should have no need for it.

15. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    viartril-s..........:eek:
    i am not that old.
    actually, sportsmen/sportswomen have good bones, well strong bones due to our long term into exercise. strong heart too.
    one thing, we keep using the joints, wear and tear occur faster than normal non-sport person. so, i am taking viartril-s before my knees(or other joints) go beyond repair....:p

16. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I go through a pair of shoes in about a year or a year and half. Sometimes it's not because they wore out, but I just want new stuff and i can't stand the odor anymore.

17. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    use scholl shoe spray, kill the germs and bacteria, smell nice.........;)

18. Kc_uk

Kc_uk Regular Member

Student
    As others have stated badminton shoes unfortunately do not last long, although the sole looks fine the padding/cushion between the insole and gum will have compacted. I thought changing the insole would help make the shoe last a bit longer but I'm afraid it doesn't especially if you play on a hard gym floor. Its best to just change the shoe completely rather than risk injuring your legs.

My pair of badminton shoes probably lasted 6-9 months but then again I only play on hard gym floors and tend to play a lot of jump smashes cause i play alot of mens doubles. (Playing on sprung wooden floor might cause your shoes to last a bit longer.)

It may seems alot of money to spend on changing shoes every 6 months or so, for example Yonex SHB 100 MX are around £52 online here in the UK, so £104 for a years worth of badminton. Sure for some it may seems alot spend if you're short on cash but i would pay that price rather than causing myself permanent injury to my legs in the long run. After all you spend alot of time on your feet/legs, do what you can to take care of them, if not you might not be playing much of any sport let alone badminton.

19. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Mine last about 6 months to 1 year..i play badminton quite rapidly..The only thing that a good shoe will wear is the ground sole..esp the left one,around the foot thumb position.

20. lostatse

lostatse Regular Member

Student
    Woah, what the hell?! I've had my yonex SHB 90 for 2 years now. I play regularly about twice a week for 4 hours in total. I haven't noticed any of the compressing of the cushion others have talked about. To me the grip still looks good, bit harder/dry but not really worn down and they prevent any injuries, what more do you want? The only problem I had was the insoles which had a big hole worn in them! But replace that and as good as new no?