influence of grip size

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Phydhel, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Phydhel

Phydhel Regular Member

I have a question on the influence of different grip sizes :

Do they have a certain ratio when they manufacture rackets of a certain design, like for carbonex models they tend to have thicker grip size, with a weight-and-gripsize cobination of 2U-G4, for example. is it for certain explainable reasons that they delibrately adjust the handle to such a size for such a weight and design? I once visited a shop to get my grip changed for my carbonex 15 titanium power sp, the shop owner claims that thick grip sizes are not good and he highly suggested that he removed the inner layer, rendering my racket grip size to be somewhat slimmer. i'm not sure if this affects and causes imbalance in the original ratio of weight-to-gripsize and ultimately screws up my game. my reflexes are somewhat slower, and my racket down pack that much punch as before.. is it just my imagination (or my excuse for playing poorly..), or does it really affect a racket by altering the original grip size?

really appreciate some high advice on this matter

thanks

#1 Phydhel, Dec 6, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i highly doubt it affects the racquet itself. probably a more useful explanation is how it affects your grip and hence your style of play. some people prefer bigger grips, whilst others think a smaller grip means they can either have more control/power because their hand closes over the grip more. most asians have smaller hands some prefer smaller grips to europeans. i personally prefer either g4 or g5, can never get used to g3 so i tend to buy all my racquets when i'm back in malaysia, or from singapore.

3. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

Amen to that! I find G3s (which are nearly all you can find in the UK) too chunky for me, prefer G4, original grip with an overgrip (thin) on top. Feels more comfy for me personally, as I find I can switch forehand/backhand faster.

I thinks its pretty much a personal preference.

#3 gsloh, Dec 6, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2007