soft feel on impact for hard hitters - racquest or string or string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by bz123, Dec 7, 2007.

1. bz123

bz123 Regular Member

I am playing for about a year, 3 times a week. I have played with yonex isometric 30df racquet with default string, and am not starting to look for a better one to buy. I tested AT500 with 65ti string @21lbs, and found the new racquet to give me a LOT more power, which I obiously liked. I find however that I greatly lost on precision, an am really missing the soft feel on impact of my old 30df.

so I believe I am looking for a racquet with good power (I am much more smash based than receive based), that still has the soft feel on impact.

so my question - where does the soft feel really come from? should I look mainly at the racquet model, or does that mainly come from the string or string tension? will an ofensive racquet with a soft feel string work the way I'd like? or would a better choice be a soft feel racquet like ns6000 with an ofensive string? and does the string tension come into the 'soft feelness', or is the tension only power vs control issue?

thanks in advance

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi,
    First, welcome to BCBF.
    To answer your question, There are several factors regarding the "feeling" and "power" of the shot. ISO model (I will refer them as ISO in the future reference) racquet are for beginners and has bigger frame than most of the racquet. It also has flexier (or easier to bend) shaft. The ISO racquets also come with factory strung string which has lower tension and thicker string. The ISO 30df you have been using is a regular length racquet. Also AT racquets are head heavy balance vs ISO racquets are head light balance. Everything I just mentioned are major differences between the ISO and AT (or new model) racquet. To get a racquet with the requirements you want, we need to look into several factors.
    1) Power: AT500 has more power because it's longer and stiffer shaft (no comment :D) Also, Head heavy balance is easier to transfer the momentum from the racquet to the shuttle. The AT you used has better string and it is reciently restung, so the string on the AT has better bounce. These is why AT has more power then ISO.
    2) Soft Feeling: The ISO 30df you are using right now has lower tension and thicker string. Also the MUCH MUCH flexier shaft. These are the reason you have the "Soft Feeling"
    3) Control: Most of the time, a player just need a few hr to adjust to a new racquet because of the racquet weight, shaft stiffness, string and tension differences. For most of the player, stiffer shaft, smaller frame size and higher tension usually give us more control of shots. When you feel you lost your "precision", that is usually due to the timing and you just need to get use to the different racquet.
    To find a racquet that has combine charactors of AT500 and ISO 30df to give you the shortest time to adjust is very difficult. The only two I can think of are the NS7700 and Arc Saber7(both are made by Yonex). NS7700 has viberation demper with almost everything you asked for. ARC7 has new tech that is good to try.
    I would strungly suggest you to demo or try out as many racquets before you buy. Some are pretty expensive to buy...

3. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    U should try to string it higher.Since u're a hard hitter,of course 21 lbs feels soft for u.BG65ti is a string that should fit the hard hitters..so,i guess it's not the string or the racket that u should change.It's the tension.1 year?Maybe u can try main/cross 26/24lbs.

4. bz123

bz123 Regular Member

thanks for the response. I have one more related question - with the at500 I have a hard time getting my smashes not to go into the net. and after going back to the old racquet I have all my smashes go too far. does that sound like the head-light vs head-heavy difference, or is that more of general 'this racquet is different'? in other words am I more likely to find some other head light racquets that I'll like, or is it something I shouldn't base the choice on too much?

5. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

For what it's worth, the AT 500 is good value for money (IMHO)...:):)
    If the 'soft-feel' is what you seek, try a NS7700 (it feels slightly more 'head-loaded' than the other NS models, with a flex-ier shaft)...;)
    This would probably give you the 'big-hitting' with the 'soft-feel' that you seek...;):)
    At the end of the day, try to 'session' as many models as you can & go for the racket that you feel works best for you...:D:D:D

6. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

It sounds like you are already adjusting to AT500. It is actually related to combination of head heavy and shaft stiffness. Just try out as many higher end racquets from Yonex, Sotx or some name brands before you buy. Also, since you are still not to experienced yet, I will suggest the tension of 21 main x 23 cross lb as highest. Just on the safe side.

#6 silentheart, Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  7. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer