I think I need to take a break

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by LazyBuddy, Dec 7, 2007.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Recently, due to many inccidents and overwhelming amount of family issues and work, I found myself can hardly enjoy the game of badminton now. Yeah, I know compare to your guys, my skill level is always "newbie" ;), but I had to say I found out that I can't even release my stress these days.

Way back then, when I 1st picked up the racket, I immediately fell into love with the sport, and lucky enough to find tons of great ppl, local or remote (looking at my van trip pics ;)). Regardless how tired or upset I could be, as soon as I step on the court, I sweat, I scream, run like crazy, dive all over the place, and enjoy the games as much as I can, even though my @$$ got kicked countless of times.

Now, even though I improved in the technique part, and started to win more often, but I found out I could hardly enjoy it as much as I could. I did still attend sessions here and there, but mostly because need to pickup / deliver rackets, as well as meet up old buddies from place to place. Many times, I easily got frustrated in the game, regardless losing or even winning by a comfortable margin. Losing focus, losing the spirit to fight, and losing ppl around me, as they found that I am not long fun to be with. :eek::cool::crying:

I think it might be that I am physically and mentally burned out, and seems losing interests in a lot of things I used to love. Guess the best solution for me is to take a break from the sport (at least, competitive level). :eek: I will try to keep up with the BC/BF, if time is allowed, but you can see I've been up a lot less lately. Might be a good story for kwun, as 1 less big mouth to waste the bandwidth, and to start the endless debate. :D

Anyway, wish everyone the best to enjoy the game, and be happy. ;)

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    You're just jaded.

I went through that patch a year ago - strokes all went wrong, could hardly do anything right, had little joy playing.

Went off for about 3 months.

Came back with a repertoire of shots and tricks I didn't know I could do, attacking with new fervour, defending like a brick wall, playing more games and just enjoyed myself.

It'll do you good.

3. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    Take your time LB. Maybe concentrate on something else for a while. Like working out or something and still continue to play once or twice a week. You will feel better.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  5. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

You guys are too serious about winning. To me, going to play is for exercise. Secondly, it's to meet other players, like a little gathering to say hi and see your friends. Thirdly, to have some fun. Winning is never important to me. As long as I tried, I'm happy. LB, hope you have good rest and wish you the best.

6. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Exactly.

Some of the messages in here make it sound like an affliction or something. ;)

7. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    I agree with your choice because I've gone through it as well! A break is always needed sooner or later. Happy breaking! And good luck with your other issues as well.

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I go through this once or twice every month - there will be sessions where I have played so badly (like my most recent one) that I can't envisage picking a racket up ever again.

Every shot either go seemed to wrong or didn't live up to its potential. This, coupled with the absolutely DREADFUL venue in which I played my last "serious" match, made me ask myself why I bothered in the first place.

Since I periodically go through the same thing with my weight training, I have to put it down to my personality, so I accept it and wait for the resurgence in interest - it always comes back.

9. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Please forgive me. I will step out of here for a while and concentrate on some other matters that is near and dear for me. I will still play locally and service people in Chicago area. However, I will take a break also. For people who know how to contact me through email you are welcome to do so.
    Best wish to you all.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Guess the lives in metro city is no where easy. Let's book a trip to Vancouver together... :eek:

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Its good to take a break. From badminton or even anything that concerns badminton. Then only our love towards badminton will get stronger.

12. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Wow..i haven't posted and visited the forums in a while myself. But LB and others i totally agree that a break is always needed especially when badminton is not providing that joy or outlet to release stress. For me that's what my summers are for....where i put the badminton racket away and play beach vball. You'll get that hunger back. Trust me.

13. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I know how you feel, but when it happens to me. What i did was that i still go to the gym, but I wouldn't play. I mean I won't bring any equipment at all. The reason is because, when you see others playing, you'll eventually want to play. After a few times doing this, man you'll be itching to play like crazy.

Well I hope that you get things sorted out.

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmmm...ahem..

..LazyBuddy, perhaps it's time for you to channel all (if not most of) your effort in a different type or interest of "love"...:);)...
    *LazyBuddy, come back again when you're renewed for badminton, we'll be waiting..:cool:

#14 ctjcad, Dec 7, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  15. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i hope you will have a nice break from badminton. and in time to renew that old love and come back here again. i stopped playing fro 7 years and yet here i am, back again. :D i wish for you the best in whatever you do. good luck :)

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Best Wishes to you LB! A break is needed for any type of activity.

Hey, come visit us ;) :D during Christmas break.

17. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    He might be busy eating and attending parties during the break. :)

18. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Sometimes, it's not even about winning. It could be anything from boredom to physical fatigue. I hit a rough patch when I plateau'd for a while and actually dreaded going out for drop-ins, but my interest got right back after I started taking lessons. The brain/mind requires new challenges to stay healthy and sharp. You stimulate it by doing different things and varying your usual patterns.

Sorry to hear that you're taking a break from baddy. Sometimes one does need a little vacation;).

19. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    Are you really going to Vancouver? My brother, another buddy of ours and I are planning to head up there as well. Maybe we can meet up and play some badminton.

20. Ayame

Ayame Regular Member

Student, Martial Arts Instructor
    “Together forever, never apart. Maybe in distance, but never at heart.”
    -anonymous

#20 Ayame, Dec 8, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2007