How do I know if a racket is too stiff/flexible?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Tsuioku, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Tsuioku

Tsuioku Regular Member

I recently switched from my old Yonex Isometric 97VF 3UG4 to a Sotx D500 3UG4 and noticed a significant improvement overall. Lately, I've been demo'ing some stiff-rated rackets and basically assumed that any racket I couldn't "hit properly" (ie consistently generate power) was just too stiff for me. It then occurred to me that could it be that the racket is too flexible? Or something else?

Last month, I started playing with a Yonex Cab20 Tour Special 2UG4 and it felt great. There was a noticeable increase in power from the D500.

Dinkalot stated here that the Cab20 Tour is stiffer than the D600. Assuming the stiffness of the Cab20 Tour Special ~ Cab20 Tour (I recall reading that the "Special" versions are just a budget ver of the original) and D600 is stiffer than the D500, the Cab20 Tour Special should be stiffer than the D500.

I've demoed a few other rackets since then and the ones that gave me the deepest impressions were the Gosen Roots Aermet 7900 3UG4, Yonex AT900T 3UG3 and NS9k-S 3UG3. All these rackets which are also rated "stiff".
    With the 7900, hitting was effortless to the point where I was having a hard time trying to NOT hit too far or too high! Hitting was relatively consistent.
    The AT900T gave a noticeable increase in both power and control. It felt terrific and greatly improved my game with very consistent performance.
    Last racket I tried was the NS9k-S. Don't know if it was the transition from a HH racket to a HL racket or simply because I was tired but I couldn't seem to consistently generate power. On occasion though, I'd get a really good hit giving the most powerful smash of all the rackets I've ever demo'ed.

The main reason I'm so curious is that my hitting is also very inconsistent when using the 97VF & D500... Having a sporadic clear or smash in the middle of a game gets very frustrating.

#1 Tsuioku, Dec 8, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  2. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    To know if a racket is stiff or flexible,..is to bend the shaft.The more power u have put to bend it,the stiffer it is.The other way to determine it,is to shake the racket.

A good racket,even though it's stiff or extra stiff,like AT900 or AT700..they still have the repulsion from their stiff shaft,to hit the bird away.Fast responsive racket,yet won't lose the repulsion and power transfer.That's a good racket.

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Smichz, he knows wether or not they are stiff or flexible...He wants to know wether they are too stiff[i/] for him, or maybe too flexible

From what I demoed/played with I think flexibility is just one item, just like weight, balance, frameshape, etc.
    Easiest way to say it: you can't determine if it's too stiff or not stiff enough...you just have to feel for yourself.
    Another factor with rackets are the strings... If your racket is too flexible your can also just up the tension 2-3lbs (unless your already playing at 30lbs), if it's too stiff why not lower it a bit?

In short, there's no way to determine anything 'for sure' when doing stuff, just go with your gut.

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Well said Dr J.
    I just want to add a few points.
    1) Demo racquet is always good.
    2) Spec is for general reference before you narrow down to a few choice.
    3) There is no perfect for you. There is a perfect tension/string/racquet combination for you (in that order).
    4) A good stringer and player relationship is needed after you become serious about badminton.

5. Tsuioku

Tsuioku Regular Member

Points taken...
    I'm not really looking for the "Perfect" racket right now... More concerned about having a more consistent performance (if possible, with my current rackets). When clears run short and smashes are slow(er) than they should be, it really frustrates me...
    Interesting how you put Tension first on the list... Now that you and Jerby mentioned it, I believe the demos had a higher tension. Guess I'll take Jerby's advice and increase my tension then see how goes.

On a separate note, for those that have played with the Yonex Cab20 Tour/Tour Special, NS9k-S, AT900T, Sotx D500 and/or the Gosen 7900... How would you rank them in stiffness?

6. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Roughly, I'd rank them:

cab 20
    900T
    7900 (kinda iffy in memory)
    ns9k

I personally found that ns9k-s was quite a flexy and enjoyable racket, but is really only mid stiff. the cab 20 special on the other hand has to be one of the stiffest rackets I've every had a chance to play with.