Is it possible to change from a larger grip to a smaller grip?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by WalzY, Dec 11, 2007.

1. WalzY

WalzY Regular Member

Student
    Is it possible to change from a G3 to a G4 or G5 Grip? Once again I have a question about my racquet :D. I have a G3 at the moment, I prefer a smaller grip like my old racquet (Armortec 800 Offensive). I was wondering if it's possible for me to ask the shop to change the grip from a G3 to a G4 or G5? I hope the racquet handle under the grip isn't shaped differently (bigger or smaller) meaning it will only take a G3. Please help :confused:.

2. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    For the racket handle, the wood handle is a different size which is ment for the particular grip size such as G3, G4, and G5.

You would essentially have to obtain a racket in that particular grip you are looking for. Technically, one could shave the wood down but it would not be advised because the wood has a certain thickness since it is hallow on the inside (to compensate for the weight). Making it too thin could compromise the handle.

#2 Matt, Dec 11, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  3. Tsuioku

Tsuioku Regular Member

If you only need it to be ~0.5-1.0 grip size smaller, you can replace the stock grip with an overgrip (ie overgrip directly on wood). It will make the racket head heavier and give a less cushioned grip though...