Thinking of Getting String Replaced

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by masson, Dec 11, 2007.

1. masson

masson Regular Member

Hey guys as the title says, I was considering getting the string on me MP 21 Control replaced. I have never in my life ever got a racquet re-strung. Currently it is strung by the manufacturer. On cone, as we all know, comes a sticker that tells us the weight of the racquet. On mine it says the tensions for my racquet should be 18-22 lbs. What happens if I get it over 22 lbs? I am a control player. Recently I borrowed my friends racquet strung with bg65 at like 23-25 lbs. It felt really good. I could get the birdie much farther with tighter string and much more power came to my racquet. It also made that fantastic popping noise. So I was wondering at what tension to get my racquet strung at? And what will happen to my racquet if I string it over 22 lbs? Can anybody give me their insight into this matter?

2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    factory strung = :p
    as for starting to venture into strings world;
    go for yonex BG-66 @ 22lbs
    after awhile then, go higher tension.............:)

3. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

re-string for MP 21

I shan't comment about the 'pros/cons' of higher vs lower tension here, as there are numerous posts on the topic/issue...;)

But here's the bottom line(s);
    (1) I've strung an MP21 at 24 lbs x 26 lbs with no problems.
    (2) If BG65 @ 23 lbs x 25 lbs works for you, go for it.
    (3) It's often a personal choice, so go with what you feel works best.

Hope this helps...:)

4. NoName1225

NoName1225 Regular Member

the recommended tension is the tension range that is under warranty. You go above or below it, and the racket is broken because of racket failure and not you hit something, you take it back to the store you got it from and get a new one.

5. masson

masson Regular Member

Thanks guys but 1 more question...what will happen to my racquet if I string it above 22 lbs?

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If the stringer is good it will have no problem with 22 lbs or 30 lbs. Whether at low or high tensions, a well strung racquet will have about similar load/stress for both the mains and the crosses, which will cancel each other out, resulting in a near zero stress. The devil is the stringing process, which if not handled properly, can cause shearing forces to snap the frame. The various supports on stringing machines are mainly used to ensure there is no undue lop-sided stress or shearing during stringing.

7. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

If your racquet is strung above the reccomended string tension, then your warranty will no longer be valid when the racquet becomes broken during the time it's covered by the warranty. But it's not so likely for these lower-end MP racquets to get broken so easily, so I'd reccomend you to do anything you want with the strings, go over the reccomended string tension if you want @ 24lbs, etc..

8. otterfun

otterfun Regular Member

financial analyst
    I re-strung my MP21 with BG 80 at 25#.
    Even though the stringing was done in error as some pointed out in another thread, I think there is significant improvement in the punch and feel of the racket. I replaced the original factory strings after one play. It was horrible, felt like a trampoline and I could see the shuttle push the stringbed at impact.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. masson

masson Regular Member

So I got the idea for the tension....(probably gonna go with around 23-24 lbs). Probably go with the low end yonex string (ie. bg65, bg 66). So having the specifications out of the way, does anybody know where I can get my racquet strung for cheap in Brampton, Ontario, Canada? I don't care if it somebody's home or a store I want the person to do a good job and hopefully be cheap. I tried sportcheck but they are mad expensive! My teamate broke her racquet and got her racquet restrung for $40 at sportchek. Please somebody help!

10. masson

masson Regular Member

OMG! I just checked over my first post and it says MP 21 Control! Instead it should be MP 28 Control, howcome nobody picked that up since there is no racquet known as MP 21 Control?

11. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

You mean...

OK, so...
    You're wondering why nobody picked up on your typo?:rolleyes:
    Hmm...:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I assumed the typo was with the word, "Control", since it seemed unlikely for you to not get the model no. correct...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Oh, so it's a MP 28 (Control), then...:cool:

12. masson

masson Regular Member

Does anybody know where I can get my racquet strung for cheap in Brampton, Ontario, Canada? I don't care if it somebody's home or a store I want the person to do a good job and hopefully be cheap. I tried sportcheck but they are mad expensive! My teamate broke her racquet and got her string and to get it restrung she paid $40 at sportchek. Please somebody help!

13. ct_23

ct_23 Regular Member

Manager
    Otterfun, I think you missed out mentioning you strung using 4 knots:D:D (in that case you should try 2 diffirent tensions at each knot)

14. masson

masson Regular Member

Does anybody know where I can get my racquet strung for cheap in Brampton, Ontario, Canada? I don't care if it somebody's home or a store I want the person to do a good job and hopefully be cheap. I tried sportcheck but they are mad expensive! My teamate broke her racquet and got her string and to get it restrung she paid $40 at sportchek. Please somebody help!

15. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    well, you wouldn't want to string it up at sportcheck for the safety of your racquet! search the market place forums and see what's near you!

16. masson

masson Regular Member

What's wrong with Sportcheck. I mean what do you mean when you say for the safety of your racquet.

17. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    maybe it's okay in ontario, but in vancouver, there have been horror stories with badminton string jobs @ sportcheck. Everything from cracking frames to scratching racquets due to lack of training.