Net drops

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by CkcJsm, Dec 12, 2007.

1. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

When you do a net drop. Is your racket face flat or a bit slanted/angled, or very slanted/angled?
    I have heard different people say different things so I am extremelyconfused.
    And you slice your racket right? And if its really close you don't even have to slice it, just touch it?

I am a beginner.
    Thanks.

2. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Also, when you lift birdie high up in the air to the backcourt,When you swing do you rotate or turn your body, so you can "use" your body? Or do you just bend down and swing your arm and use your wrist?
    Friend told me not to turn your body, but another friend told me you should so you can gain power and height.
    (sry couldn't find the edit button)

3. lsh-07

lsh-07 Regular Member

For drop shots, wen u hit the shuttle, ur racquet face should hit the shuttle face on (ie. facing foward). however, after u contact with the shuttle, u should follow through with ur racquet face facing the direction u want to hit in (ie. wen u do a crosscourt drop from the right back corner, ur racquet face should end up facing left). Oh by the way, this is all wrist work so dont use ur whole arm to direct the shuttle and it may take some time adjusting how much wrist u use. As for the lift at the net, using mostly just wrist is preferable as it can allow u to be deceptive later on, otherwise, dont u think ur opponent would be able to tell ur abt to lift if u use a massive swinging action? anyways theres my 2 cents worth.:p

4. delmonk

delmonk Regular Member

software engineer
    When you do drop, you racket face should be facing flat. Angled drops are sliced drops and you should not use them until you master basic drops first.
    There are 2 basic type of drops the slow drop and fast drop. The slow drop is the one where you swing your arm slowly and basically just touch it, it is very useful for 1v1 games. It flies slowly over the net but has a steep angle.
    The fast drop involves the flick of the wrist when you hit it. It flies faster and lands farther in, useful in 2v2.
    Drop clear and smash are all the same move, The difference is the contact height where you hit it, how fast you swing and how much you flick your wrist. You should rotate your body for them, not only do you get the extra power but it makes it so your drop clear and smash look the same.
    For underhand lift at the net, use your wrist. Since you are so close to the front you don't need the extra power from your body or it may go out.

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Are you asking about drop shots (from the rearcourt) or net shots (from the front)?

6. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Keep your grip relaxed and hit your shots tight to the net. Don't worry too much about what angle you're holding the racquet. What matters is getting the feel for hitting the shot tightly and consistently.

7. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

Ideally, net shots should be played with the racquet face flat (ie parallel to the floor). However, the main thing is to get the shuttle over the net, so don't worry too much if it angles a little. Also, the further away from the net the shuttle is, the harder it is to play the tumbling net shot with a flat racquet face.

Wayne Young

8. huynd

huynd Regular Member

For me, I play the net drop with racket face a little bit angle, not parallel to the ground. The racket face then turn gradually to flat, then up again. The shuttle leaves the string sometime in between.

I used to try to hit so that the shuttle barely goes above net height then drop. Now when my technique got better, I often hit so that the shuttle reach a little bit above net height but in my court, then crosses the net while going down. It works well for me, but may be my opponents are not quick and skilful enough to kill it. In fact if you manage to tumble the shuttle, it is very difficult for your opponent to hit it early.

As for the lift, the principle is: Always start like you are about to play a tight net shot, then flick the wrist at the last moment

9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Focus on the tape of the net. The idea is to get the shuttle drops just close (if you are an advance player) to it.

If you are a beginner or intermediate, better to just let the shot drop close to it (safer to avoid mistakes). The basic rule of thumb is to retrieve or have contact with the shuttle at the highest point. (Speed comes into play).

You can spin or slice it when you are good at it, just to add a little fanciness.

10. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Thanks, but like what kind of wrist action do you use?
    Moving the racket down then up? or Just moving the racket up? Or slicing the birde?
    Thanks

11. delmonk

delmonk Regular Member

software engineer
    Depends on what kind of shot you are doing.
    If you are doing a rear court smash/drop/clear and are a right hander, the basic 'wrist' action is to hold the racket in your hand pointing to the right palm facing up. Then turn counterclockwise until the palm is facing down and racket points to the downward left. Now hold the racket behind your shoulder with your elbow pointing up. Pretend you are throwing a ball, but as you swing add this wrist turning action to it.
    If you are talking about underhand lifts at the net, it depends on if the birdie is on your forehand or backhand side. For right handers and its on your forehand side, Hold the racket with palm facing up, racket pointed to the right rather than straight toward the net. The racket face should be slightly angled facing over the net. The wrist action is kinda like drawing a circle clockwise from 9 o'clock position. You contact the shuttle when you complete the circle at 9 o'clock. For backhand its the same thing but everything is reversed, palm facing down, circle drawn counterclockwise from 3 o'clock, etc.

12. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    For netshots (in the forecourt) I find that putting your racquet parallel
    to the net then slicing the bird horizontally will produce a very tight and reliable netshot.

13. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Thanks, but for some reason I still don't get that. May someone explain again the "wrist action" part?
    As you can see, I'm a beginner. I stopped getting coached =/.