User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 18 to 33 of 33
  1. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Badminton Court
    Posts
    1,728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes of course...

    This is very important for all "hard" backhand strokes in the rear-court (clear, smash)

  2. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    594
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have worked at the backhand shot for about a year now trying to get it reali gud. I have now actually gt it where i can clear it back 2 back or close enough but only if the shuttle is infront or above me. I use the multi-grip.

    I stil have a prob when I am in trouble & the shuttle is behind me & i have to use backhand. I can drop it over the net but generally the opponent starts to notice this. Lately ive tried to clear it but it goes half court if that. Even the sound of the shot sounds bad.

    Any advice, I think its my grip but im not sure. Can any1 help me out here.

    (I seen lin dan is trouble wit the shuttle way behind & he used backhand thinking he was goin to drop it, he cleared it 2 the back line . Cudnt believe it. Amazing shot. He seemed 2 use his wrist but the power 4 unbelieveable)

  3. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I notice that the pros tend to let the shuttle drop further down when they're in trouble in the BH corner, sometimes because they're late to it, but sometimes they want to arrive a little later to give more power. Something like a flat drive technique. So the flight path is more like a drive to clear, than a clear to clear.
    Something like a Danish swipe but more focussed power with todays lighter racquets

  4. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Badminton Court
    Posts
    1,728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Then you noticed something wrong...

    Always try to hit at the highest point.
    Only exeption is when you try to do deception at the net.

    Pros never would let the shuttle drop more then neccessary.
    The shuttle will not only drop... Shuttle will also fly even further into you backhand corner and the stroke will be much much more difficult.

    Of course the point of impact will be much lower compared to a forehand shot.

    It's important for a late backhand to adjust your backhand grip.
    You can't use the same grip like when the shuttle is in front of you or beside your body.
    If the shuttle is behind your body you will have to press your thumb on the racket bevel or even on the SMALL side of the grip... Then it looks like a panhandle grip for forehand net kill...
    Then you have to bend the wrist like Taufik does on the picture for the whole shot...

    Don't bring your ellbow to early in the direction of the shuttle, otherwise your swing won't be fluid and you will lose much power. Only (some men) pros are able to hit a good backhand clear only with their wrist, because they have so much underarm strentgh. You will need also some power from your legs, upper body, shoulder, underarm... Focus your power through your wrist at the impact.

    But don't do a tooo big swing. Don't swing your ellbow "behind your body"

    Sorry for my english, but I hope it helps...

    There are some pictures also:
    http://www.badmintonbible.com/articl...adjustment.php

  5. #22
    Moderator Oldhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    7,328
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coachgary View Post
    I notice that the pros tend to let the shuttle drop further down when they're in trouble in the BH corner, sometimes because they're late to it, but sometimes they want to arrive a little later to give more power. Something like a flat drive technique. So the flight path is more like a drive to clear, than a clear to clear.
    Something like a Danish swipe but more focussed power with todays lighter racquets
    Quote Originally Posted by xt6666 View Post
    Then you noticed something wrong...

    Always try to hit at the highest point.
    Only exeption is when you try to do deception at the net.

    Pros never would let the shuttle drop more then neccessary.
    The shuttle will not only drop... Shuttle will also fly even further into you backhand corner and the stroke will be much much more difficult.

    Of course the point of impact will be much lower compared to a forehand shot.

    It's important for a late backhand to adjust your backhand grip.
    You can't use the same grip like when the shuttle is in front of you or beside your body.
    If the shuttle is behind your body you will have to press your thumb on the racket bevel or even on the SMALL side of the grip... Then it looks like a panhandle grip for forehand net kill...
    Then you have to bend the wrist like Taufik does on the picture for the whole shot...

    Don't bring your ellbow to early in the direction of the shuttle, otherwise your swing won't be fluid and you will lose much power. Only (some men) pros are able to hit a good backhand clear only with their wrist, because they have so much underarm strentgh. You will need also some power from your legs, upper body, shoulder, underarm... Focus your power through your wrist at the impact.

    But don't do a tooo big swing. Don't swing your ellbow "behind your body"

    Sorry for my english, but I hope it helps...

    There are some pictures also:
    http://www.badmintonbible.com/articl...adjustment.php
    Quote Originally Posted by coachgary View Post
    I notice that the pros tend to let the shuttle drop further down when they're in trouble in the BH corner, sometimes because they're late to it, but sometimes they want to arrive a little later to give more power. Something like a flat drive technique. So the flight path is more like a drive to clear, than a clear to clear.
    Something like a Danish swipe but more focussed power with todays lighter racquets
    Quote Originally Posted by xt6666 View Post
    Then you noticed something wrong...

    Always try to hit at the highest point.
    Only exeption is when you try to do deception at the net.

    Pros never would let the shuttle drop more then neccessary.
    The shuttle will not only drop... Shuttle will also fly even further into you backhand corner and the stroke will be much much more difficult.

    Of course the point of impact will be much lower compared to a forehand shot...
    Um, I'd lean more towards what coachgary says

    If you're in trouble at the rear backhand corner, it means that the shuttle is already low and, worse, it's behind you (if not, you aren't in trouble at all).

    From this position, the possible shots are:
    1. a straight drop
    2. a crosscourt drop
    3. a straight clear
    4. a crosscourt clear
    5. a straight drive
    6. a crosscourt drive

    A good player can pull off shots 1 and 2.
    Most top-rung players can pull off shots 3, 5 and 6
    A few top-rung players can pull off shot 4.

    The advantage in resorting to a drive (to clear, or as a drive) lies in how well it limits your opponent's choice of next shot.

    If the opponent were to hold position closer to the net, his answer to your drops (shots 1 and 2) would be a very tight net-shot. And that's usually the end of the rally.

    Your straight clear (shot 3) would invite a quick drop or a crosscourt half-smash, neither of which is unlikely to turn out in your favour.

    However, the drives (shots 5 and 6), especially the straight drive, cannot be met with a tight, spinning net-shot. Unless the drive is a lot higher than the net, the usual reply is a block or a lift, both of which will fall nearer to you than to the net.

    This will certainly allow you to get back into the rally.

    To use coachgary's phrase, it'd be most useful to launch into the shot "a little later to give more power". (Allthesame, if the drive path doesn't hug the net, the shuttle will simply be slapped down, usually across the court.)

    Hitting at the highest point is the best option when you are not in trouble.

    PS: If you are Taufik Hidayat or Chen Hong, please select 4

  6. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Badminton Court
    Posts
    1,728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Oldhand you really missed what I wanted to say...

    Of course the shuttle will be low, but they don't let it drop even lower intentionally...

    And from this postion a slow and short drop would be stupid, because your opponent would have a good change for a thight spinning net shot or a net kill!

    So it's much better to play a "Neutralization"... I don't know the word...
    What I mean is, that you have to play a faster and LONGER drop shot, so your opponent will have to hit the ball further away from the net, but also not from an high point. So he can not attack very good, he may be able to play a drive, but that's much better then a smash, when you do a weak backhand clear...

    Perhaps this "Neutralization" drop may look like a weak backhand drive...

    So I think Oldhand and me have the same opinion about that.

    When I say highest point, of course it's the highest point that is possible for you in that situation and not the highest point you can ever reach or the highest point the shuttle reaches... Otherwise you would perhaps have to jump 5 meters up in the air... lol
    Last edited by xt6666; 03-18-2008 at 07:58 AM.

  7. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    971
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coachgary View Post
    I notice that the pros tend to let the shuttle drop further down when they're in trouble in the BH corner, sometimes because they're late to it, but sometimes they want to arrive a little later to give more power.

    The reason why pros seem to 'let the shuttle drop' when they take a late backhand is simply because they need time for generating the backhand swing.

    So the shuttle does in fact drop a little lower...but saying that pros ''let it drop'' or "want to arrive later" aren't the best ways to describe it.

  8. #25
    Moderator Oldhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    7,328
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xt6666 View Post
    Oldhand you really missed what I wanted to say...

    Of course the shuttle will be low, but they don't let it drop even lower intentionally...

    And from this postion a slow and short drop would be stupid, because your opponent would have a good change for a thight spinning net shot or a net kill!

    So it's much better to play a "Neutralization"... I don't know the word...
    What I mean is, that you have to play a faster and LONGER drop shot, so your opponent will have to hit the ball further away from the net, but also not from an high point. So he can not attack very good, he may be able to play a drive, but that's much better then a smash, when you do a weak backhand clear...

    Perhaps this "Neutralization" drop may look like a weak backhand drive...

    So I think Oldhand and me have the same opinion about that.

    When I say highest point, of course it's the highest point that is possible for you in that situation and not the highest point you can ever reach or the highest point the shuttle reaches... Otherwise you would perhaps have to jump 5 meters up in the air... lol
    In hindsight, I think we were 'driving' the same point

  9. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I find taking a bird at around shoulder level, or only slightly higher helps put more power into a backhand. If it's overhead, I'd rather try to take an around the head, or wait until it's low enough to hit.

  10. #27
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Badminton Court
    Posts
    1,728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There is nothing like overHEAD backhand.

    Nobody will play a overHEAD backhand, this makes no sense at all.

    Every backhand will be overHAND in a serious match!

    So a backhand will always be at shoulder lever or only little bit higher.
    And often even lower. But this is only because you simply can't reach the shuttle earlier. (And nobody does a backhand jump clear of course)

    @Athlete: so you stay still and wait till the shuttle is falling down (AND EVEN FURTHER INTO YOUR BACKHAND CORNER)?!?!?!?!
    Did you run out of gas and can't run anymore? ;-)

  11. #28
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xt6666 View Post
    @Athlete: so you stay still and wait till the shuttle is falling down (AND EVEN FURTHER INTO YOUR BACKHAND CORNER)?!?!?!?!
    Did you run out of gas and can't run anymore? ;-)
    I probably phrased it wrong. If I can reach with an around the head, I take it like that. If I know I can't get an around the head, I pace myself, and take the backhand at around shoulder ish level because that's the way I'm comfortable hitting it.

  12. #29
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    London area, UK
    Posts
    3,937
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xt6666 View Post
    There is nothing like overHEAD backhand.

    Nobody will play a overHEAD backhand, this makes no sense at all.

    Every backhand will be overHAND in a serious match!
    We still call it an "overhead backhand", even though the contact point is out somewhat to the side. Although your logic makes sense, "overhead" is the standard term.

  13. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Badminton Court
    Posts
    1,728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    We still call it an "overhead backhand", even though the contact point is out somewhat to the side. Although your logic makes sense, "overhead" is the standard term.
    So the terms are different in germany...

    Because we have these 2 words, not only overhead.

    Why say overhead, when the shuttle is not above the head?!?

  14. #31
    Regular Member extremenanopowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SG. Go for NCAP-L2 certified coach.
    Posts
    11,735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Agility, flexibility, timing is key to back hand. Practice makes perfect like Taufik.

  15. #32
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xt6666 View Post
    There is nothing like overHEAD backhand.

    Nobody will play a overHEAD backhand, this makes no sense at all.

    Every backhand will be overHAND in a serious match!

    So a backhand will always be at shoulder lever or only little bit higher.
    And often even lower. But this is only because you simply can't reach the shuttle earlier. (And nobody does a backhand jump clear of course)

    @Athlete: so you stay still and wait till the shuttle is falling down (AND EVEN FURTHER INTO YOUR BACKHAND CORNER)?!?!?!?!
    Did you run out of gas and can't run anymore? ;-)


    What about taufik hs bh smash?
    if you dont intend to play a clear but a drop is just the stroke you want to hit why not take bh and save energy?

  16. #33
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Badminton Court
    Posts
    1,728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    play bh to save energy and play forehand to win the rally... :-))

    BTW: what is "taufik HS bh smash"? What is HS?!?

    If your bh is as good as taufiks bh, you can play bh more often...

    But why did you quote me?!? At the moment I don't get your point?!?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Backhand Technique - How to backhand clear, smash, and drop
    By thejym in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 99
    : 02-25-2013, 06:34 PM
  2. Backhand clear
    By Badmin_96_swe in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 20
    : 02-07-2011, 03:42 PM
  3. direction of turning after hitting a backhand?
    By llpjlau in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 12
    : 04-21-2007, 04:57 PM
  4. Backhand clear
    By Jordan in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 1
    : 10-22-2002, 10:46 PM
  5. Backhand clear
    By jba in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 8
    : 07-28-2002, 04:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •