suggest:currency units

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by cryptail, Dec 17, 2007.

1. cryptail

cryptail Regular Member

student
    Hi, I didn't knew where to post it so i thought let's place it over here :)

I would suggest some kind of sticky(donno where the best place is) for the different currency units and how much they are worth..(in general, because sometimes it changes; 1£=1.5€, 1€=1.4$ 1€=...)
    This would usefull because in the forum we talk about the price of equipment...

Just think about it, it's just a suggestion.
    Cryptail

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    It changes on a daily basis, wouldn't it be a giant task to keep it updated so frequently?

3. cryptail

cryptail Regular Member

student

no... it doesn't change that much... 5 years ago 1.5€ was 1£ and it still is...

Maybe we could use 1 unit as mainunit, for instance the US $, and then we make a table of foreign currency's...

4. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    if anyone needs to know, they can go here... www.xe.com

5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    One way to go about it would be to not use the dollar symbol at all. :cool:

For instance, when someone posts $120 as the price of a racquet, the question that immediately arises is whether that is in US, HK, Canadian, Zimbabwean, Fijian, Australian, Surinamese, Liberian, New Zealand, Guyanese, Singapore or one of 15 other valid kinds of dollars. :p

With so many countries using the word 'dollar' to refer to their currency, it can get pretty confusing at times. (Of course, there's no confusing the £ and € symbols :))

Perhaps we could use clearer terms like USD, SGD, HKD, JPY etc - that might help. :)
    Conversion to one's choice currency is then a simple matter of accessing any of the umpteen online currency converters.

6. cryptail

cryptail Regular Member

student

I was more thinking about the differnece between the currency's... Because i don't know what a singapore $ is worth... but maybe it isn't a need to have this option and an extern site could be enough :)

7. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    There... now you know :)

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you read the sticky in the Buy and Sell forum, the same advice is already stated there (including the website for currency conversion);)

RULES OF THE BUY AND SELL FORUM

9. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
  10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I don't think that any currency converter is a good idea in the Buy & Sell section, simply because the seller or buyer has a chosen currency for his or her item and any currency conversion into another currency is not part of the terms. This could lead to misunderstanding. Just like in international trade sellers or buyers choose the unit of currency they want to deal in. If the other party wants to find out how much in, say Malaysian Ringgit he has to pay for a quote in US$100, he then finds out from the remitting bank how much he has to pay in Ringgit. There are selling and buying rates, t/t rates, bulk rates, and cash rates, plus bank charges and other charges. If you use credit cards you will know the conversion rates plus other charges when you get the bill. You can of course get a rough estimate of the conversion rate by checking on the exchange rates in the papers or on the internet.

11. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    currency valuations do fluctuate though and it's a dangerous thing to do. Whiklst 1.5€ was 1£ and still is, the value of the $ has dropped quite remarkably for example.

I can see that it would be useful as a very rough guide but personally i think using an accurate conversion calculator would be much better.

It is something for sellers to think about though ie do they want to post approximate prices in other currencies when advertising.