Asking for Advice for a New Racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Niiro13, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Niiro13

Niiro13 Regular Member

Hi! I’m kind of new to specific equipment and their attributes. I did not even know that rackets were strung differently! I always thought that the tightness of the strings were all the same.

Anyway, I play 4 times a week, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday. I’m pretty serious about playing even though I am not as good as others.

I know that some will probably tell me to just get a cheap racket until I get better, but the thing is, I’m very gullible to the placebo effect. I’ve used rackets all across the price range and performance, and I can say that I perform better with the better rackets due to the fact that I am aware that it is good (doesn’t make me good, but I think it brings out more of my potential).

The style I play is kind of my own. Though one girl always say that I play like a girl :p (I spin and stuff :eek:). Anyway, I do not really smash (have not gotten it quite down yet…and probably will not smash as much when I get it down). I mostly drop (and fast drop so almost like a smash), drive, net drop, push, and clear. I also use this weird shot a lot (kind of like a forehand on the backhand side…) for my backhand crosscourt net drops and for clears. (Backhand is used for backhand smash and drop) I also do a lot of fakes if that helps. I guess that the majority of my style leans a bit towards the defensive but trick shot kind of style.
    I am more of a singles player (but three out of the four days is at JL’s, and for some reason we do doubles a ton more…like every of the three days until the very end when we do singles).

I am not too concerned about durability if the performance definitely outweighs it.

There is no limit to the price, because I am more concerned about performance.
    My last racket was a really good fake NS 9000 X (lasted like 9 months before I killed it in camp on Sat). I liked it a lot, and when I got it, I guess I fell into the placebo effect, and was able to fend for myself against the high school varsity people in the camp. It was a huge boost from the week before that time when I used my own recreational racket and was playing like it was my first time.

I prefer Yonex, but if anything is significantly more suitable for me, then it does not matter.
    Thank you to you all!
    Any other info needed, just ask :).

#1 Niiro13, Dec 18, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Always demo, try or borrow a racquet before you buy.

3. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    get a ti10? at900power? both are very good rackets.

4. Zealous

Zealous Regular Member

1. How often do you play, how serious are you?
    I normally play once a week on court but I play almost everyday at home.

2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)
    I am an aggressive smasher but now currently trying to be a net player.

3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?
    As I'm only playing badminton as my hobby, I do care much about durability.

4. How much money do you want to spend?
    RM 80-RM 130

#4 Zealous, Dec 18, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Do as SH said, demo enough rackets before making a purchase.

If you have to jump into the pool blindly, try Yonex Cab30ms (if prefer oval), and MP99 (if prefer iso). SOTX 8 might be cheaper but very good alternate. However, it's more suitable in doubles rather than singles, if you perfer smash a lot of more.