Start our New Year's Resolutions here

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by chris-ccc, Dec 18, 2007.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Start our New Year's Resolutions here.

New Year's Eve has always been a time for looking back to the past, and more importantly, forward to the coming year. It's a time to reflect on the changes we want (or need) to make and resolve to follow through on those changes.

Start our list here in this thread. Let's see what resolutions we want to follow through.

This message from George Carlin, a Grammy-winning American stand-up comedian, could trigger some changes/ideas for us.

A Message by George Carlin:

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways , but narrower viewpoints.

We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less.

We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time.

We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor.

We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when the technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete......

Remember, spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, 'I love you' to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember, to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

chris@ccc to learn how not to rush things

So, my Resolution for Year 2008... is for me to learn how not to rush things.

In other words, I need to learn how to have MORE PATIENCE. :cool::cool::cool:

3. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Are you talking about playing badminton or things in general? Same goes for the thread, are we talking about badminton's new year resolutions or everything else, like losing weight ? :)

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Can we..

..delay our new year's resolution until AFTER the Chinese New Year's day??..:confused::p

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

How we behave at our Badminton games will show others how we behave in general

Actually, how we behave in general...... is usually reflected/manifested/shown by how we play/behave at our Badminton games.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

When do we make our Resolutions ?

It doesn't really matter... many people make their resolution(s), commencing at the start of the Calender Year.

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Well..

.."technically", if it's after the CNY, that'll give a person, at least, another month or so of........leeway:p;)

8. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    I vow to become virtuous. Virtue includes honesty, consideration, generosity, patience, determination, courage, and love. I am sure it also includes more, but these are the areas most important and where also I need to improve most on.

For other areas, I vow to place higher at the high school badminton league finals than I did before, to pass junior year with flying colors, to earn more money and use it wisely, to discover love, to develop muscle (some), to become a role model for those younger than I, to develop a more extended musical collection, and also, to become happy.

Note: HAHAHA, I love the first post by Chris, it's exactly what I think of the US, and it's kind of sad, but also ironic and funny in a way.

9. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

For my game...

In 2008 (Badminton-wise), I resolve to:

(1) Work hard on my footwork (need more efficiency & speed)
    (2) Improve my fitness (strength, power, speed, endurance & flexibility)
    (3) Improve on my strokes (want more consistency)
    (4) Do justice to my AT700

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

George Carlin wrote that sad message after his wife's death

Great that you've vowed to become virtuous. Virtuous = Moral Excellence. :cool::cool::cool:

Yes, it was amazing to see how George Carlin wrote that sad message, after his wife's death (as I was told).

His message was sad, ironic and funny... but we all know what he meant in that message.

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Hmmm i always curse the shuttle and my opponents.

The message by George Carlin is direct to the pojnt.... you cant have any better words to describe the world nowadays.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Not what your AT700 can do for you

Great that you've thought of doing justice to your AT700, and not what your AT700 can do for you. :):):)

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

My shuttle and opponents are NOT GOOD for me

HaHaHa... you expect your shuttle and your opponents to do GOOD for you ??? :):):)

14. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    ...the fourth one is indeed a great resolution :p
    ...and, should you fail, you could always pass it on to some older person :D

15. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

Nice one, but I'm not gonna give up THAT easily...:D:D:D

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Popular New Year's Resolutions in Australia

In Australia, the popular New Year's Resolutions are;

* To spend more time with family and friends, and

* To exercise more, in order to stay fit and healthy.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    punch-clear = hit and run.
    So, u r on the right track:p

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

They're almost..

..like a cliché~esp. the 2nd one, year in and year out, to some if not most people in the world..:eek::p

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Focused on the outcome and the results we want to achieve

Resolutions:
    * To spend more time with family and friends, and
    * To exercise more, in order to stay fit and healthy.

True... the 2 resolutions mentioned above lack specifics.

Take for example, "I want to spend more time with family and friends." Not only does this resolution lack specifics, but it has no positive focus on a true accomplishment. Some suggest it is better to be specific as to how much time (in terms of hours, say) we want to spend with family and friends per week or per month.

Similarly, for "I want to exercise more, in order to stay fit and healthy." How many hours per week are we to spend on exercise ?

The focus of our resolution needs to be on the outcome. If we have a specific goal, we have a target, and we know what we are working towards.

Perhaps, whatever our resolution, we need to word it so it is specific and focused on the outcome and the results we want to achieve.

20. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    ya, calm down, and wait for the right opportunity to attack.