Strings breaking all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ryeung, Dec 22, 2007.

1. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

For some reason my strings are breaking like crazy. They won't even last one session. I am using mp65, all from the same reel. Tension is not high, 22.5 x 25. They usually last me around a month but they have not made it through 1 session the last 3 times out. As far as I can see, there wasn't anything obviously wrong. They are always the main strings within the middle 7 or so strings. When they broke, the bird was hit close to the top of the racket but they didn't feel like at the very top. I even changed the middle 10 grommets on the top and the strings still broke after 2 sets. Any ideas?

2. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    yeh well i dnt know about canada rite now.....but its freezing here in uk.....so more and more strings r snapping.......its just the cold....and the strings are brittle wen they r too cold. as well as ur hitting them slightly off centre. mayb try a thicker gauge string for now?but actually if ur using BG65 i guess al u cud do is try to warm up ur strings before u play?

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    maybe u werent using badminton string

4. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    check for broken grommets.

5. MING PARIS

MING PARIS Regular Member

restaurant owner
    next time show us the racket when the string broke!
    MING

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Hitting the shuttle at the top of the frame can be considered a mishit and is often the graveyard for broken strings, especially if you have an AT800 or any racquet with a large "unprotected" stringbed area, defined as without supporting crosses.

7. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

It was hit towards the top but not that close to the frame. I am now wondering if the clamps are the culprit. I have noticed (don't know really why this is happening) that the strings have been slipping and I have had to tighten the clamps. I am wondering if the strings are being slightly crushed. I have checked the jaws of the clamps by rubbing a kleenex over the teeth to see if there are any rough spots and have not found anything wrong. I am going to try stringing again with just flying clamps and see if that is any better.

I am not really not expecting a solid solution just some ideas of what to look for.

Thanks for the ideas.

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The top part of the frame, between the 2 middle main strings, has about 20mm of "unprotected" (no cross strings across for support) soft spot. If the shuttle hits one of the 2 mains with a "bulls eye" the string will sometimes kaput, especially if the ambient temperature and the humidity are low.
    Do not use tissue paper to clean clamps. Use ipa instead.

9. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I was just using the tissue to check for any roughness in the clamp jaws. I haven't cleaned the clamps, maybe I should.

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
  11. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

Really nothing has changed. I have not changed the way I string. Thinking back, I did notice that I have had to tighten the clamps because the string was slipping in the jaws. Maybe the string is getting crushed. I need to clean the jaws and see if that will help keep the string from slipping. I did another string job with just flying clamps and will see if that is any better.
    With regard to the above link, after adding the hold downs at the top and bottom, I have not had any problems with distortion of the frame. It has been rock solid.

12. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    same reel....... different performance afterwards.
    is the balance stored properly?
    just curious...:rolleyes:

13. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I am down to about half a reel now. They sit with the stringing machine in a spare bedroom. I've had it less than a year so I don't see how the reel can be compromised. The last time I made sure there was no fraying on the strings after I finished. So as far as the eye can see the strings appeared to be good.

14. hunkajunk69

hunkajunk69 Regular Member

I'm actually from Ontario as well and have noticed the same thing. I hit reasonably hard but am not known to break strings more than every 6-8 weeks. I have broken 2 in the last 2 weeks. I think it might be this nasty, cold weather we are having. The strings seem to be less forgiving in regards to breakage when they are cold. Just my opinion.

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Cold and dry weather - never left the racket in car trunk.

2. Clamp issues - Seems that you got the screw-tighten type of flying clamps. It's not as good as the spring ones (i.e. Yonex, HiQua, etc). If over-tighten, you damage the string (seems as you described), if not tight enough, you lose tension.

3. Machine gripper issue - The tension gripper can be damaged, which also result in rough spot. That happened to me once, which result into ultra fast string breakage for 3-4 jobs. After I got feedback from customers, I did an inspection, and use tape to cover the rough spot. Now, it works in wonder again. :D

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Ryeung, what were the temperature and humidity of the badminton hall where you broke so many strings prematurely?

17. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

It sure appears to be the clamps. I use single action clamps and the last job I switched to flying clamps. I've had 2 sessions and not a problem. I haven't had a chance to check the clamps yet and maybe a good cleaning will do it. I can just as easily switch to flying clamps. I just find that they tend to get in the way while weaving the crosses.