User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 39
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Short, skinny, weak looking... monster player.

    It's been two years since i have actually been training for badminton, but i can't keep noticing something pretty weird: some little guys (majority:chinese or asian) hit pretty hard compared to other tall and players. For example, once at a tournement, i saw a guy like about 1,50 m tall... and he hits as hard as our coach! (plus, he was skinny). Can anyone explain that PLZZZZ.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    La Jolla/San Lorenzo
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hasn't anyone told you not to judge a book by its cover? lol

    The thing is, if you have good fundamentals such as footwork and strokes, you'll generate plenty of power. Heck, I've seen girls that generate more power than the average guy badminton player. Badminton isn't about muscles and power, it's about finesse.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CANADA
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I agree with hybrid, don't judge a book by it's cover. I saw a doubles match in which one of the guys was really really short and skinny but had a crazy hard smash.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ok, i agree that there is finesse involved but muscles also play a role (if you don't have muscles, how do you even hit the shuttle or lift the racket). Plus, if you say that it's because of their finesse, then players with a good body build should be hitting shuttles like a train hitting a fly. So, in my opinion, it is not because of finesse that they can hit the shuttle so hard. oh and... it's the EXPLANATION of HOW they DO IT.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    La Jolla/San Lorenzo
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big L4 View Post
    Ok, i agree that there is finesse involved but muscles also play a role (if you don't have muscles, how do you even hit the shuttle or lift the racket). Plus, if you say that it's because of their finesse, then players with a good body build should be hitting shuttles like a train hitting a fly. So, in my opinion, it is not because of finesse that they can hit the shuttle so hard. oh and... it's the EXPLANATION of HOW they DO IT.
    Now read what I wrote:

    Hasn't anyone told you not to judge a book by its cover? lol

    The thing is, if you have good fundamentals such as footwork and strokes, you'll generate plenty of power. Heck, I've seen girls that generate more power than the average guy badminton player. Badminton isn't about muscles and power, it's about finesse.
    I did tell you how to power should be generated. A proper badminton stroke from a physically weaker player will generate more power than a player with lots of muscles with worse form.

    If you want me to be more specific then here are somethings that help people generate the power and angle that most people tend to not get:
    ~Getting there and hitting the bird in front of you.
    ~Proper transition of power into the bird when you hit the bird.
    ~Making full use of the power from the body instead of just the arm. That means using the power of the legs and torso when jump smashing, using the power of the hips, shoulder turn when doing a backhand, and using the power of the fingers for flick shots.

    These are just some of the factors that enable smaller players to overpower larger-looking players who don't have as good as a form as them.

    And I didn't say muscles don't play a role. I said they play a minor role compared to finesse. They are add-ons compared to how finesse is crucial to the game.
    Last edited by hybridragon; 12-23-2007 at 01:23 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big L4 View Post
    Ok, i agree that there is finesse involved but muscles also play a role (if you don't have muscles, how do you even hit the shuttle or lift the racket). Plus, if you say that it's because of their finesse, then players with a good body build should be hitting shuttles like a train hitting a fly. So, in my opinion, it is not because of finesse that they can hit the shuttle so hard. oh and... it's the EXPLANATION of HOW they DO IT.
    if u pay a coach, he'll tell u. In fact, he/she might show u. It is player dependent

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big L4 View Post
    Ok, i agree that there is finesse involved but muscles also play a role (if you don't have muscles, how do you even hit the shuttle or lift the racket). Plus, if you say that it's because of their finesse, then players with a good body build should be hitting shuttles like a train hitting a fly. So, in my opinion, it is not because of finesse that they can hit the shuttle so hard. oh and... it's the EXPLANATION of HOW they DO IT.

    Ok you are being alittle bit extreme in your emphasis on muscles. First off if you don't have muscles you have bigger problems than hitting a shuttle or lifting a raquet. So right off the bat your characterisation of these players is in error. You're analogy of a train hitting a fly is also a tad goofy. By that logic a 500 lb fat ass should be able to generate tremendous smashes.

    Mass is a factor in both the generation of Force and Momentum but, in the case of a raquet striking a bird it is the mass of the raquet and not the mass of the person that is acting on the bird. So, in this case the differences in smashes are due to differences in acceleration (for force) and angular velocity (for momentum). Also important is something called impulse which is the force multiplied by the time in which the force is acted upon a body. This determines how much momentum is transferred to the object. The timing or 'finesse' of a persons swing determines this impulse and thus how efficiently momentum is trasferred from the raquet head to the bird.

    Please bear in mind this is a grossly simplified expanaition.
    Last edited by Polar Bear; 12-23-2007 at 01:31 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Bad form= 10% of muscle strength put into bird. You're wasting your energy like this

    Good form= 80-100 transfer of strength into bird.

    These are far from accurate, but with proper technique, you can increase your power exponentially without requiring huge muscles.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question

    But then why the heck don't i see alot of strong guys hit the shuttle as well as the small guys? I only see little shrimps doing it right. And one more thing, i never said i was putting all the credit into muscles alone, i myself am skinny and hit harder than alot of stronger guys, but i still don't hit as well as the shorties. Plus, they seem always tireless, but they should be spending more energy than tall people (provided that they both have the same skill in footwork).

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You're probably playing with the wrong people then...

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big L4 View Post
    Plus, they seem always tireless, but they should be spending more energy than tall people (provided that they both have the same skill in footwork).
    "They seem", "they should". Your problem is you are dealing with your perceptions and then applying generalisations. Look, if you could just draw linear extrapolations of skill from physical characteristics we wouldn't need tournaments and competitions. Every match would be predetermined. Of course if you are a fatalist then you already believe that anyways.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    oh and dang it... no one was able to explain.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big L4 View Post
    oh and dang it... no one was able to explain.

    Not so, you just don't get it.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    3,962
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    because the shorter people have better technique.
    Better timing, better technique, probably better footwork. It's not about muscles, all this has been said at least 11 times in this thread...

    Now, begging the question, could those strong/tall guys hit harder if they had the same skills...Maybe

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    London area, UK
    Posts
    3,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A powerful smash is primarily about technique and timing.

    Big muscles won't necessarily help at all. For power in badminton, you need fast muscles: sudden, explosive movements.

    The kinds of training that develop large muscles do not make those muscles fast. That's not to say that large muscles are bad -- not at all -- but rather that your muscles need to be trained for explosive power (regardless of how big they are).

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I KNOW THAT MUSCLES MEAN NOTHING IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TECHNIQUE!!! I NEVER SAID I PUT ALL THE CREDIT IN THE MUSCLES!!!!!

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Southport (UK)
    Posts
    56
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    chill out mate.

    What people are trying to say, is that anyone can have a good smash with the propper form.

    Tall people can smash just as hard as anyone else. OK being a bit stronger might help ONCE you have the proper form and footwork etc, but its not the be all and end all.

    Maybe there are just lots of good short people where you live *shrugs*.

    Oh, and with the correct positioning and movement, you expend less energy getting to shots.
    Last edited by macca; 12-23-2007 at 04:35 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What tension for a weak player with arc10
    By frostcone in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 6
    : 08-28-2010, 08:37 AM
  2. Shoes (USA) - Heavy set player, weak ankle
    By carbonex15 in forum Clothing & Footwear
    Replies: 6
    : 10-17-2009, 09:39 PM
  3. Partnering a weak player
    By FemaleJock in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 8
    : 10-06-2009, 08:06 AM
  4. Racquet for offensive player with weak arm
    By Gold- in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 9
    : 11-12-2008, 06:38 PM
  5. What to do with a short/weak partner?
    By Skirmish in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 18
    : 11-02-2006, 08:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •