User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe, just maybe, it might help if you took your time and actually formulated youe entire question in a story-like way...you know, make a post longer than 3 sentences, that might help a lot.

Either we already answered your question, or you didn't formulate it right...I'm sorry if I seem blunt, but this is the way I see it..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed. The question was a very general question, and you are expecting a very specific and detailed answer without specifying just exactly what you want. Acting frustrated and confused is not the way to go.

I am not very patient right now, so let me put my words in these terms:

1) What exactly is it you want? The exact motions of these skinny guys, how they do something so powerful? Are you asking if buff guys simply can't exert the amount of power into the birdie like skinny guys can? Are you simply asking for some miracle solution into explaining this. There is no simple miracle solution to anything, if that's what you're asking.

2) You are making a generalization that there aren't any buff guys out there who can put loads of power and speed into their shots, they're just fewer in number. You are quite right that most of the best out there are quite skinny (relative to most athletes), they do have quite some muscle but not much body mass. Badminton is about SPEED, not POWER. Thus, the faster you can swing that racket, the faster your shots. Smashes, therefore, are not POWERFUL, but are FAST. Simply put, the faster you can swing your racket and put the energy into the birdie, the faster your shots. To do that requires fast reflexes and fast-response muscle stitches (or whatever they are called, I'm not quite sure on this part).

3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L4
    Plus, if you say that it's because of their finesse, then players with a good body build should be hitting shuttles like a train hitting a fly. So, in my opinion, it is not because of finesse that they can hit the shuttle so hard. oh and... it's the EXPLANATION of HOW they DO IT.
    So many problems with what you said right there.
    (a) People with good body builds should be hitting shuttles like a train hitting a fly if it was because of finesse? What does that mean? Finesse means skill and detail in performing an action, people with good body builds don't necessarily have the skill. Furthermore, explain the term, "good body build." To have a good body build in every sport is something different. In sumo, you have to be big and strong, as well as nimble. In cross-country, it means to have strong legs and as little excess body mass as possible. In badminton, it means to be able to jump high, swing your arms, hands, and wrist quickly, and also, to be able to have the endurance to keep running quickly and change directions in a split second.
    (b) "So, in my opinion," means just that: That is YOUR OPINION. Opinions aren't always correct. That is what you think, but the facts may prove otherwise.
    (c) "EXPLANATION of HOW they DO IT." If you are asking for that, you might as well be asking for the meaning of life, a description of love, a lecture on hope. You're basically asking for a million different things, and most of them are intangible and relative, so it's virtually impossible. If you simply keep providing statements as these, there's no point in asking, accept some part of what the other members have been telling you, ask questions based off of their information. For example, when Polar Bear wrote,"The timing or 'finesse' of a persons swing determines this impulse and thus how efficiently momentum is trasferred from the raquet head to the bird." you could have asked, "What are some techniques to shorten the time of energy transfer in order to maximize the momentum transferred? How much of the swing energy should be put into the wrist, how much into the arm? Should I stop my arm motion when I start rotating my wrist?" and other questions as those.

Please stop making answering this question so frustrating. By the way, the shorties are not the only ones capable of hitting the shuttle with "power," there are lots of tall guys out there with "power." You just need to look online and around more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big L4 View Post
    some little guys (majority:chinese or asian)

You do know that 6 foot + asians are pretty common where I live?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont call them monsters. they just have good technique. plus a big muscular guy might have lots of strength, but if he picks up a racket and start smashing, most of his power will be diffused if he does not apply the proper swing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Never meant any offense with that word, it's more of a exaggerated compliment. When compare two players, short and a tall strong one, I notice that the big guy always do bigger movements than the other player who's only flicking his racket. Normally, doesn't a big swing generate more power than a small one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never meant any offense with that word, it's more of a exaggerated compliment. When compare two players, short and a tall strong one, I notice that the big guy always do bigger movements than the other player who's only flicking his racket. Normally, doesn't a big swing generate more power than a small one?
    Depends. If you can pronate at the end, use finger power, etc, a big swing will have tremendous power because of the last second acceleration of the swing, in addition to the speed of your arm motion. However, if you don't do this stuff, then a big swing will be weaker, because you're not providing that last second "oomph" to the swing. A player who can accelerate their racquet like mad from a short swing is more powerful than a person who puts all of their strength into making a large, arm powered, motion which doesn't actually move their racquet all that fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good players come in different size and shape, all of them would have good badminton strokes and footwork, but what separate the best from the good are their mental strength. So, no point arguing about physical size, what matter most is the substance in between our ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

OK OK, then it's a big mix of factors. I got it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

put it simply, compare what happens when you burn barrel of petrol slowly, and when you explode it all at once. explosive force, in a short amount of time, provides a lot of power. i've read somewhere in this forum, that a good smash is 60% technique, 30% muscle, and 10% racquet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, big swing does produce more power, but the small guy knew how to concentrate the power and the big guy had diffused power, and he is probably wasting strength. but if the big guy knew how to transfer the power then his smash would be more powerful than the small guy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In other words, if you swing hard, but tend to "slice" the shuttle or hit the shuttle in wrong position/time, most of the swing power would go wasted. It takes a lot of practice to get these right. Probably, the shorter guys are practicing more to get better timing and stamina. Also, bigger guys have problem handling fast change in direction of shuttle or shuttle hit directed at their body. These are general observations from my experience, although if bigger guys develop agility, they could become better players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am 6 feet or 6 foot 1 and only 140 pounds, people say i look like im 125 pounds but during high school i smashed the hardest, its all in the wrist and technique of how u hit, but right now my wrist is injured

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yy_ling View Post
    yes, big swing does produce more power, but the small guy knew how to concentrate the power and the big guy had diffused power, and he is probably wasting strength. but if the big guy knew how to transfer the power then his smash would be more powerful than the small guy
    It's not to do with swing. You can hit an incredibly hard smash with virtually no swing.

It is part technique, but once the technique is nailed, someone (Gollum I think) mentioned that it's about explosive power within the muscles. That's why training for bulk means your muscles aren't as effective because they aren't built for it. Hence a leaner, more explosive framework is better.
    Last edited by UkPlayer; 01-17-2008 at 11:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Normally, doesn't a big swing generate more power than a small one?
    Yes like what has been stated many times before here it is a mix of factors, a big swing is less effective because it takes more time and can in cases use more energy. A compact swing is where you see the power and speed comming from because the motion is fast and explosive which generates the power with this comes your muscles and how they are trained being bulky has its disadvantages being lean/tones has many advantages in badminton and you have to train your muscles to be explosive and able to preform the compact swing that will generate the power as well as having the right technique and using your body, pronation, etc all to your advantage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UkPlayer View Post
    It's not to do with swing. You can hit an incredibly hard smash with virtually no swing.
    You're right about the importance of explosiveness, but I think 'virtually no swing' is a bit exaggerated...lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few weeks back I saw a brother and sister who were about 10 to 12 years of age playing some of the most elegant and powerful strokes I had ever seen from such small and slender bodies. Today I chanced to see her play again, in two tightly fought singles sets, against her coach. The coach has a very evil high serve, like those that go up, up, and then drops vertically, but this little girl had no problem with his serve. Her coach is a former singles champion of one of the provinces of China. This little girl just turned 10 this week and she weighs slightly less than 30 kilogram! She also trains under another coach, a former Chinese national squad memberas well as a former Hong Kong ladies singles champion. It happens that both her coaches are my friends, and they told me that this little girl has great potential. In today's coaching session this little girl also served as a co-coach to her coach. She can hit as hard as her coach although she is a bit lacking in experience in allowing her coach to get out of hopeless situations with deception. I did notice that this little girl uses her body like a finely-tuned and highly-sprung spring, using her body core like a Lin Dan. Simply amazing.
    So, size alone is of no help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in badminton taller and longer arms may actually be a negative thing. the whole swinging motion (clear and smashing) is based on the force enduced from the torq of the body. taller and longer arms means the body has to produce more energy to get the racquet to travel through air and hit the bird. also, bigger guys with lots of muscles have extra weight on them, which makes it harder to move around and jump compared to a skinier guy.

now i'm not saying that shirt skinny midgets will have an absolute advantage, but the game of badminton is all about balance. you need the right body mass with your height and the right technique to produce the right amount of explosive energy at the right time, then POW, that's the power transfered from your body to the bird at the point of contact.

another really good analogy is why you don't see so many huge buff marathon runners. well, all those muscle in the chest and arms slows the runners down. sure longer legs and huge leg muscles will give you power, but in the long run, it's that mental sharpness and the body that's shaped to the sport that counts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast