Head heavy, tapered shaft but flexible

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by jaymz, Dec 24, 2007.

1. jaymz

jaymz Regular Member

Hi BC! First let me state some basic things about my game.

1. How often do you play, how serious are you?
    I only play 1-2 times per week due to work schedule but I'm serious at improving my game. I'm actually planning to have some weekly lessons. I just want to have a lighter racket first before I start with my training ;)

2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)
    Actually, I don't know. :D What I mean is, I think I'm still below intermediate though I know some basic footwork, grips, stroke etc. But almost everything about my game needs refinement since most of the time, I can't practice everything when I'm playing with my friends (since they are not skillful/powerful enough to make their clears go near the baseline nor they can make tight net and drop shots)

Based on how I can jump and move in the court, I'm inclined to be a power/smash-based player :cool: Though I'm just a 120lb weakling (I used to do strength training before and would continue it). :eek:

3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?
    For now, it's 50-50, or it doesn't matter that much. Maybe I can change it once I improve my skill.

4. How much money do you want to spend?
    More on this below

Im eyeing two rackets. These two rackets are on sale here at Phil. at around $65-70 (my budget for now is at $75 only for a new racket :()

Carlton Nano Lite 9500
    82g
    Head Heavy
    28lbs max
    tapered shaft
    flexible shaft
    http://www.bbeshop.com/carlton/racker_nl9500_silver.htm

Dunlop Aerogel 5000
    83g
    Head Heavy
    28lbs max
    tapered shaft
    flexible shaft
    http://auction1.taobao.com/auction/2201/item_detail-0db2-cdeffd3bc7bcef8f65a0fa0991adb2f6.jhtml

These two rackets almost have the same specs. I'm having second thoughts in buying either of the two because of the flexible shaft. Since I'm inclined to be a power-based player, I might end up wanting a stiffer racket in the future once I improved my skills. I don't want to change racket often.

In terms of power, everything else equal (string, tension, stroke, etc.), will the head heaviness and/or tapered shaft of these rackets would compensate for the lack of stiffness of the shaft?

Another thing, I want to have a racket that is not more than 86g so that I can swing faster (i'm currently using 88g).

Hope anyone can give their thoughts. Thanks in advance :)

2. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    I think the RSL 6800 fits the bill. Light (borderline 4U), head heavy (slightly) tapered shaft and flexible.

3. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    try the RSL M7 X2-SP.

pls check the RSL M7 specs below:

Balancing Points
    Diamond X2 Pro (2U, extra stiff): 283-286mm (Even Balanced);
    Diamond X2 AP (3U, progressive medium stiff): 283-287mm (Even Balanced);
    Diamond X2 SP (4U, progressive medium flex): 288-292mm (Slightly head-heavy);
    Diamond X2 FP (5U, progressive medium): 293-297mm (Head-heavy);
    Heat 7490 (3U, medium): 282-286mm (Even Balanced)

4. NoName1225

NoName1225 Regular Member

you know, i never understood what does Progressive medium flex meant. What does it mean, does it get more medium flex as you use it more? Or is it like the state of being stiffer than a normal medium flex but not yet a stiff?

5. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    i think that feature is only found among RSL rackets with the "taper shaft design".

my friend told me that the flex characteristics differ with every stroke you make. i can't really elaborate it more clearly since i only tried the taper shaft only for a limited time. i'm using the m7 7490 and m3 3200ti as my active rackets now. both don't have the taper shaft design on them.

6. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

Gosen rackets also comes with tapper shaft. (Gosen PKS series )