Starting up a high school badminton team (BC)

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by mch90, Dec 27, 2007.

1. mch90

mch90 New Member

Hey all, there currently isn't a badminton team at my school right now (in British Columbia) but I would like to start one up and I was wondering if I could get some info from those of you who have participated in BC high school tournaments before (zones, provincials, etc.). I've read the rules and regulations on the BC school sports website, but I still have some outstanding questions.

1. Tournament Format
    a. How many times are players allowed to play for each different match? For example, can a girl player in Girls Doubles A play again as a girl player in Mixed Doubles? Singles?
    b. If not, and if there are not enough players (6 boys and 6 girls) on the team to fill a particular match, is that particular match automatically forfeited?
    c. If players are allowed to play in more than one match per tie, is there a limit on how many times he/she can play?
    d. What happens, if say, my team did not have the required 5 boys and 5 girls minimum? Would my team be not allowed to participate in zones and/or provincial tournament?

2. Berths
    a. What happens if my school is in a zone where there were no participating schools in the provincial tournament in recent memory? Does this mean that the berth will automatically be given to another school in another zone?
    b. How does the strength of a team get "ranked" (for additional berths) if said team (and zone) hasn't participated in a playoff, again, in recent years?
    c. What if there are no other competing schools in the zone? It says that no automatic berths will be given, so what would the berth be based on then?

3. Coaches
    a. What happens if I found a coach that isn't NCCP certified, nor has any coaching experience for badminton (instead, said coach has experience for other sports)? Will this affect the team in tournaments (as in, rules and regulations) other than a lack of experience/skill in coaching badminton?

4. Badminton BC
    a. Does each player need to register for Badminton BC affiliate/other memberships in order to participate in zones/provincials?
    b. If not necessary, will a membership be beneficial?

Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

2. badelbow

badelbow Regular Member

Hope This Help

HOPE THIS HELPS

3. mch90

mch90 New Member

Thanks for the reply.

So Doubles A/B can only play the two doubles games (against opponents' Doubles A/B) and whomever is playing Doubles mixed play in the singles of their gender?

My school has enough interest... haha I was actually just asking because I'm not sure if there are any other schools in the zone, and if THEY don't have enough players, then what would happen... kinda scenario.

4. badelbow

badelbow Regular Member

hope this is as clear as mud. you hope other schools to have enough boys/girls to become a team. The fun part is playing seasonal games against other school. Provincial is kind of writing your final exam!!

5. LuckyBoy

LuckyBoy Regular Member

lol that was kinda confusing so i think this will be more helpful =] not being offensive or anything

You need 5 boys and 5 girls minimum on a team
    -4 boys and girls will be playing doubles and only for doubles, can't play singles or mixed
    -1 boy and 1 girl will be playing mixed and singles and only those

6. mch90

mch90 New Member

thanks I believe that's what I tried to write in my second post there haha albeit the different and confusing wording :p

And I agree with badelbow, the more competition, the better! It would make winning zones that much more worth it.

If you are still in high school, are any of your teams planning to go to Provincials (best in the zone, etc etc)? If so, what other things would I need to know if my team is preparing to go (and assuming we win zones)?

One more question, about the format of the courts:

5. Courts
    a. For our school (and most likely the case for most of the high schools in the region), the wall is very close to the backline, which makes it difficult for tournaments. Will any rules change this (such as a "let" if it's impossible to hit birdie without hitting the wall but is "safe" inside the court) or would it be an advantage for the team picking the other side to start?

thanks guys, it's helping me with ideas for the team! :D

7. mch90

mch90 New Member

Update:

Our zones just finished up on Friday (Feb 15). We ended up playing against four other schools for the title in the zone, and won against all four other schools by a fair margin. There were lengthy discussions between the Commissioner, the Zone Rep, and apparently a BC School Sports executive regarding our zone not being given a berth.

Before these discussions, whomever won our zones had to travel down to Kamloops for a QUALIFYING tournament. This wouldn't be such a problem if the zone wasn't located so distant from the venue (North West BC, furthest possible zone from Kamloops), but also the fact that other schools (Fraser Valley #3, Okanagan #2) are going for SECONDARY berths while North Island and North West zones aren't even given ONE (to share, or otherwise). These berths should never have been taken away in the first place and there are schools properly registered within the specified deadlines.

So now, we have to wait for a team to either drop out or not show up for our own placement. Our team definitely has the resources to travel down to PG, but to Kamloops to qualify (and assuming we win) AND to PG? Corporate sponsors here are far and between.