Curious

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Shifty, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys, just thinking back to club play a few years back, and i remembered an incident that i had never bothered to chase down.

what happened was me and my partner were playing doubles. the umpire was from the other team, although she's had many years in badminton, so she'll know lots (i'm not saying she was bias). my partner received a serve before i was ready, he played it, but i called "wait!" for a let. but the umpire said that because my partner had chosen to play the shot, and that it was bad communication and slowness on my part, it was a point to the opposing team.
    which sounds reasonable. and that is why i didn't argue. (partly because she knew more than me, and partly because she was the manager for my junior team:p:p:p).

i just want to know, should the point have gone to the opposition, or should a let have been played. it's been a long time since the event, and it's never happened to me again. it's all academics now, i'm just curious

2. cryptail

cryptail Regular Member

student
    For what I know, I would give it to the others too(just play on). Your partner receives the serve and just playes the game, so actually he says we are ready. You can call for a let when for instance you see another shuttle falling on the court, or you see some water on the court. But If your not ready it's the mistake of your partner to play, so sorry for you :)
    (PS: correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know all the rules that well, I'm not empire myself ;))

Cryptail

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) According to rule, once the server and receiver is ready, the server should serve without delay. Partners from each side does not have to be ready. It is receiver's responsibility to know if his/her partner is ready or not.
    2) After the the receiver return the serve, when you called "wait", it is a delay/interruption of the game. You are at fault.
    3) Is the ump good looking? Is that why you are not ready?

4. cryptail

cryptail Regular Member

student

Hmm that looks normal to me, but what do you need to do when there is an obstacle on the court, like a shuttle ..?

5. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    ROFL, no, she's about 40 years older than me :cool::cool::cool: nah, i was just catching my breath. as i've said, her reasoning sounded correct, which is why i didn't, and don't have a problem with it. the one thing i've learnt is that to make sure my partner looks back every time. thanks for clearing it up with me. i'll make sure i don't get caught out again :p:p

6. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

if there's an obstcacle like shuttle or someone else coming onto the court, then that's hindering, which is not the same as the partner not being ready :)

7. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

You should have dropped your racket to the other side.

8. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    HAHA, I'm sorry. I think that indeed, the other side does get the point. Next time, however, as long as you drop your racket or fall down or signal that you are not ready before the serve, you get a let.

But it's good now that you've worked it out with your partner.:)

9. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    haha, don't be sorry. that's a good idea though, i should roll on the ground and scream, to get my partners attention :eek::eek::D:D

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    There should not be any undue delay in a service. Once the racquet head of the server starts the backward swing any delay, like shouting "wait" could be considered an undue delay. The start of the service is when the shuttle is first hit by the server. The service is considered delivered when the receiver hits it or misses. The point to the server is correct. You could have been given a yellow card.

11. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    ]

that's a bit harsh for a friendly club game isn't it? :eek::eek::eek: like i said, i don't have a problem with it. just curious, is all.

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Yes, a yellow card in a friendly meet would be out of place.

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If such ruling is in a professional level of game, I don't have an issue with. However, for recreation level and lower level of tournament, there should be gentleman agreement of a let.

The reason being is, many recreation level of players tend to rush for a serve, even if the other side is not ready. With inexperienced receiving side, the player natually tend to hit the shuttle, w/o double check the partner's readiness. Also, the receiving side might simply perform a return, under the fully awarness, simply for a free stroke. Just look as the NHL player shooting the empty net, or NBA players give a free 3 pointer, after the whistle blow.

There are a lot of gray area regarding service readiness. Myself tend to raise the racket, then look down to check and adjust my stance before looking forward to signal the "readiness". A few times, when I face the "rush server", they do serve before I was fully ready (still looking down and adjust foot stance), usually we do gave a let. ;)

#13 LazyBuddy, Jan 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2008