Extended Essay

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by shiksha12, Nov 12, 2007.

1. shiksha12

shiksha12 Regular Member

hey all..i am doing my extended essay in physics of badminton.
    i was thinking of doing the formula for rate of deceleration of the shuttle
    or like a comparision of plastic and feather birds.and talking about trajectory deviations, terminal velocity , spin..skirt angle etc..

hopefully i can get some suggestions if these r gud topics to chose..i hve to rite 4000 words on it.:p so i really wnna chose a gud topic..
    thnks

2. wocdam

wocdam Regular Member

Professional
    you better look for DinkALot

3. Makunouchi

Makunouchi Regular Member

Badminton Addict
    Yup! I agree with wocdam. Mr Panda have made significant reviews of the different brands of shuttles. His vast knowledge of the different kinds of birdie will be a big help to your paper. Just dont forget to acknowledge your source. :D

4. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Hey, you must be in IB :D:D

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I did something very similar to this about 7 years ago for my A-Level Further Maths - we (by which I mean the two of us who actually took Further Maths:eek:) used falling shuttlecocks to prove that dynamic drag is proportional to the square of the instantaneous speed, and got a VERY accurate formula out of it.

I would start here, obtaining a value of drag for each shuttle you are testing, and then model upward flight to include the drag (it's not that difficult - create a force proportional to and opposite v^2). You can then add some quantitative backbone to the phenomenon of feathers being faster off the racket but slowing down quicker than plastics. When you obtain different values of drag, check the variables you have listed to see which of them affect(s) the drag: you will then find out how shuttles are graded by speed.

Perhaps more relevantly, you could also find out which plastics best approximate feathers by comparing the drag coefficients you get - and check it against manufacturers' claims:D.

With regard to the racket side, you might want to finally put to rest the "lower tension = more power" debate by dropping shuttles from a known height onto a stationary racket and measuring the rebound height. Just a thought...

(I just wish we'd been able to do this in Physics, instead of reams and reams of electric field strength calculations...)

6. shiksha12

shiksha12 Regular Member

ee

thnk u all so much for ur comments:D
    ..after researching i am planning to do the topic-
    the different trajectories possible by changing the optimal angle and the initial velocity. my 2 variables r well..angle and velocity. however again i am wondering if this comes off too easy..so mayb i am thinking of comparing these on the basis of plastic and feather shuttlecocks and talking about air resistance, drag force..etc..
    bt i cannot cum up with aquestion on this topic.:confused:..hopefully u guys can help me...thnks again:)

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I all depends on what you define as the "optimum" trajectory, since every shot has a different ideal flight. You could look at things like maximum range, but that's probably too easy for a 4000-worder.

If you intend to investigate trajectories, choose some shots that are more or less identical across all circumstances. Ones that spring to mind immediately are the low serve, flick serve, and baseline-baseline clear: all three shots have constraints that make your modelling easier and there are marked differences between how these shots behave with feathers and with plastics (especially when it comes to clears - a plastic flies more parabolically than a feather, which falls almost vertically).

8. shiksha12

shiksha12 Regular Member

EE- Nylon vs Plastic

hey all,
    i am an IB student and doing and Extended Essay on the physics of badminton.
    My research question/topic is : how are the trajectories of plastic and feather shuttles different when affected by a change in optimal angle and initial velocity?

i am having diificulties starting the research , but do kind of have an idea of my experiment..i am planning to set up a scale behind the person who is the subject of the experiment and then record the flight trajectories thru a video camera.
    However , i am looking for ground to start theoretical research fromhopefully i can get some help from you guys:)
    thnks

9. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member