User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Complacency in Badminton

Hey all,

I am playing in a tournament tomorrow, and would like to know how to stop being complacent when i am leading in score.

I have had a bad habit of relaxing whenever the score is, say 15-9, and then my opponent catches up to even score seemingly out of nowhere.

My coach said to always stay focused on every rally, but what are some practical techniques to do so?

I am sure many of you can relate.

Thanks for your responses,

Andy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't focus on the score in the first place; instead, force yourself to think about what you'll do in the next rally. You can still choose anything while the shuttle is in the air, but have a "default" plan, whatever that may be. It can be strategic ("My opponent's looking tired, I'll let him run to all four corners. Even if I lose the rally he won't have any energy left"), tactical("clear to the backhand, then drop to the diagonal, and then wait for the idiot's long-line ball") or technical ("If he serves short, I'm going to push it wide").

I've also often heard to imagine that it's 29-all, but I find that rather hard to keep up. By adopting the above analytic idea, I'm now feeling comfortable during the last points and can usually be sure to catch up in a close game or win outright otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I get your main idea on not focusing on the score, and instead the game.

This will be of great help, thanks!