Nylon Shuttles (Plastic) Vs Feather Shuttles

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Taijis, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taijis

Taijis Regular Member

Nylon Shuttles(plastic?) vs Feather Shuttles

I have been reading alot of BC's forums and equipment reviews, and i have come up across the problem with nylon shuttles. I keeep reading that nylon shuttles are bad for strings, or they break strings more often than feather shuttles. Why is that? arent the tips made out of the same material?. I mostly play nylon birdies, feather shuttles 25% of the time. I dont really notice a difference execpt for better repulsion in the feather shuttles. So why are nylon shuttles bad for racquets and or strings? im soooo confused

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    it is not about good or bad, plastic is heavier

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Also, nylon shuttles encourage you to play more "bang bang" power style games, which means more beat up to the string. :)

4. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I thought it's the other way around, plastics being lighter.

Nylon shuttles if you're not aware of yourself, does make you have the tendency into using brute force (aka Bruteforce Badminton!!) instead of playing with skill. I've played with people who use plastics and played games with them using feather, and it hits them, when you see their skills sort of unstable because they are too used to the brute force.

Yup, plastics do wear out the string faster because of the harder cork.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

more misinformation and misconception.

u can't or didnt differentiate between plastic vs feather and good versus bad skills. Why dont u try playing pros with plastic, i bet they wont lose a beat.

plastic: string rackets more often
    feather: use more shuttles

IT'S YOUR CHOICE on cost aspect.

geez, i didnt know yonex use harder cork on mavis shuttles and softer cork on AS## shuttles :rolleyes:

6. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Pros, don't think about plastic in their mind wouldn't they, they go feather. If they do, they do, give me a list of names (ie. P.G.Christensen).

Actaully people can differentiate between them because the two types of shuttles play differently, one being the "true" way. So if one is so used to the wrong way, one would think they can play the same on the feather? Not quite, unless they train themselves on it.

Simple, do a press the cork with your fingers, physics concept is proof enough.

#6 Matt, Dec 10, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i never said feather and plastic would plays or fly exactly the same way.

u said other feather players play lousy(unstable) when switching to plastic. This is because u r seeing sub A players playing. Well i havent played with european ir SE asian pros before but my list is"

william milroy and keith chan (canada ex #1 MD) in separate instances. No plastic shuttle warm, no complaints, no mishits, no outs, tight net tumbles, etc when switched to playing plastic.

if u use pros from INA, china as examples, yes, those pros would need a warm up session to adust to plastic but they will strike shuttles with equally ability, they wont change strokes/style just for plastic. (If someone never touch a plastic shuttle before, it is fair to let them have a warmup first)

your physics weren't deep enough. Here is what i think u r doing
    - r squeezing (testing) the cork from the perimeter,
    - using average or below average grade feather shuttlecock. Try testing IBF or top grade feather shuttle (yes, those HOLY crap shuttlecorks are softies)
    - test hardness FROM THE CORK BOTTEM, where the string contact shuttles :rolleyes:

reason feather cork feel softer from YOUR TEST because u r squeezing from the side, u r trying to compress feather stems :rolleyes: I have all grades of mavis and many brands and grades of feather at home. The decent quality feather shuttlecork feels just as hard, if not harder, than mavis cork :rolleyes: Even the lower end AS20 cork feel equally as hard. It's not about physics, it's about total knowledge :p

in term of skill striking shuttles:
    lets put it this way, if u have it, u have it, if u don't, u just don't :p

#7 cooler, Dec 10, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  8. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Looks like mis-interpretation of what I was trying to say. People who mainly use plastics, don't play as well on feather, not the other way around. The reason I say unstable, because of their(some of them are aquaintances I play with) inconsistancy on the feather, as they were using the plastics skills to it. I'm actually encouraging them to use feather so they can develop their skills around it, note I didn't say lousy because they are not bad players.

Actually, the test showed itself reguarding the stiffness, didn't matter if it is the side or bottom(which was claimed as unchecked :) ), plastic came out to be harder (Mavis 300). I have Victor Green (78) and an Aeroplane (76). Tested those out, and they were both a bit softer than Mavis, Aeroplane was softer than Victor.

#8 Matt, Dec 11, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

problem is your observation samples are based on limited number of sub b players/aquaintances where as i've gave samples based on real pros as you have challenged me to list. I have shown my cards, please stop trying to convince me that your pairs of two is higher than my pair of Aces :rolleyes: :p

Hard to debate something subjective like touch even tho u refer to it as physics. :rolleyes:

Enough said for now.

#9 cooler, Dec 11, 2005
  10. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Actually, when you decided to quote my whole post(which is uncalled for), that is instigation a challenge on me, and it wasn't the first time.

Note: Using pro examples is not valid, they play the sport for a career, not "us". Speaking about examples we're both limited as well. Better yet, I want to hear from the pro's themself.

I've taken U lvl physics, so I know what I speak of.

#10 Matt, Dec 11, 2005
  11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I gotten my knowledge from higher intelligence alien beings and sometime i talk about stuffs that are out of this world :p

#11 cooler, Dec 11, 2005
  12. Taijis

Taijis Regular Member

So plastic cocks have harder cork eh?

13. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Cooler, I think the point that a pro beats a C/D level player with plastics is moot. The only relevent comparison was if one pro had played with plastic all his life and one pro with fethers.. Which of them would win a game using plastics... How much diffence would it make..We don't know the result of that because no good players really use plastics...all pros have played years and years with "real" shuttles.

I see no relevence in the plastic vs. feather comparison that a pro would beat a low grade (I have yet to see one higher level player that have specialized on plastic :) All good players simply use feathers for training, competing etc. Or do you have any good "plastic" championships in Canada??? ).

I would be willing to bet that the pro would beat the players that predominently uses plastics by using a Squash racket instead of a real badminton-racket!! The skill level difference is simply so huge, that it cant be offset by a "bad" ball or extremely bad racket... They would probably adjust and play reasonably well with a "speedminton" shuttle or one of those insanley fast ones that is included in the lawn-badminton sets as well :). Simply beacues they are so much better (not because there difference isn't huge)..

/Twobeer

14. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I believe, twobeer intended to type, who would win using feathers (not plastics?).

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

2beer, actually u r supporting my argument here. :)

Matt said his sub B players/aquaintances had problem with playing plastic due to their 'superior' feather skills arent working when using plastic. I gave examples of pros that had played plastics before are skilled in plastic playing as well.

*the point I was making was players that have problem adjusting between feather and plastic are skills related, AND NOT RELATED TO TYPE OF SHUTTLES USED.* I gave examples of pros playing plastics, showing that it isnt about type of shuttles used.

same thing for rackets. True respectable pros can use anything (even just the palm of their hands) and beat noobs.

Why no plastic ibf tournaments? my guess is tradition **and ibf tournament policy was written many many decades ago when plastic shuttles werent even around or prolific. If u r a true pro, u can play any shuttles with any rackets and beat noobs.(see, we r talking about the same thing)

Take tennis for example, do tennis pros complain when they lost while playing on concrete, grass, and clay courts? Surely the surface difference is equivalent to adjusting between feather and plastic.

** why european eat bread and chinese eat rice. Are bread superior or rice is superior? It is not about superiority, it's about the way it was.

from my experience playing both plastic and feather before, playing plastic is 'harder', no pun intended. Contrary to matt's observations and statement , i find feather players(not pros) have more problem with plastic than plastic players with feathers. Just ask around, how feather players resist playing plastic while plastic players dont mind playing with feathers

#15 cooler, Dec 11, 2005
  16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

victor green is recreational grade shuttle( i assume that u dont mean victor green championship) and u didnt state which aeroplane. Which mavis300, blue?

17. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Cooler is not paying attention what I actually typed.

"problem with playing plastic due to their 'superior' feather skills arent working when using plastic". Based what you assumed I said, you come up with this response. I never said that, it's people having problems playing feathers because they mainly used plastic.

It doesn't matter if it was the world champ, or any of us.

The shuttles I'm referring to. Yes it is Victor Green Champion #1, and Mavis 300 Blue.

#17 Matt, Dec 11, 2005
  18. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Matt, there's no resolution in defending the theory you put forward. Especially when there's no clear, accepted base of reference. And the mood now is confrontational.

Matt: observe happenings around you, draw conclusion, put forward Theory A.

cooler: observe happenings, draw conclusion, file away. See's Theory A, doesn't see a correlation, disputes.

Will that change the interpretations your observations? Are you WILLING to change the interpretation of your observations?

I'm betting readers to this forum want to learn something from healthy discourse. It gets muddy when it gets confrontational.

-dave

#18 wood_22_chuck, Dec 11, 2005
  19. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I have no need to change interpretations of any sort. I've seen and experienced them for myself, so anyone of try's to change it with the use of "confrontation", I advise them to go step in their shoes, or I might confront them back. Especially the use of the :) :rolleyes: :cool: :p ;) :crying: :D :confused: , smart $(&# faces isn't going to help either. If one wants to talk about it properly, they would of done so.

I don't need to spend time and effort to go see what a what a "Michael Schumacher" does because there is important RL stuff to do, and that goes for the rest for us.

Reguading the Aeroplane, I'm not sure what that one is, but don't care about that one since it's the wrong rated speed since a relative brought it over a few years ago which I haven't used up. More of a practice feather to me while I use the Victor Green(#1), for games.

#19 Matt, Dec 11, 2005
  20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

matt, if it's all physics as u had stated and you have U lvl of physics, show me the physics to support your claim :rolleyes:

I have given my supporting data"
    - wil milroy and keith chan's ability to play plastic with equal ability
    - analog examples from tennis court variation to shuttlecock variation, and tennis pros play them all.

Your:
    - some observation from your sub B players/aquaintances

matt, give me some U lvl physics. I (and many posters here) can take it

#20 cooler, Dec 11, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.