Rexy cracks whip

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by george@chongwei, Jan 2, 2008.

1. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

from www.thestar.com.my

Badminton: Rexy cracks whip
    By LIM TEIK HUAT

PETALING JAYA: It is hard to discard old habits but coach Rexy Mainaky wants the top doubles pair of Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong to stop the tendency to experiment with their game in what will be a defining year for them.
    The duo, who are now ranked number one in the world, have a bright chance to end Malaysia's 12-year medal drought in the Olympics in Beijing in August. Having won seven international titles since they formed a combination in October 2006, Kien Keat-Boon Heong are seen as good bets to win the first Olympic gold medal for Malaysia.
    [​IMG] »I am more worried about the players' attitude. They can be stubborn at times« REXY MAINAKY
    Vying to be the second Malaysian pair to qualify for the Beijing Games are veterans Lee Wan Wah-Choong Tan Fook, who are ranked at number five, and Copenhagen Masters runners-up Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Latif, who are in 16th spot.
    The other doubles pairs under the charge of Rexy are Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock and Gan Teik Chai-Lin Woon Fui, who are ranked at 19th and 35th respectively.
    A country can be represented by two pairs if both are inside the top 16 by the end of April and Rexy said that the Olympics will be the main focus of the year for Malaysian badminton.
    “More emphasis will be placed on the preparations for the Olympics and we are looking at two pairs making the cut,” said Rexy.
    “Tan Fook-Wan Wah have the better chance to join Kien Keat-Boon Heong as qualifiers but in case of injuries, we still have Fairuzizuan-Zakry.
    “Attention will be given on these three pairs to ensure that they get among the top 16.”
    All three pairs will feature in six Open tournaments offering ranking points before the Olympics. The season will kick off with the Malaysian Open from Jan 15-20 followed by the Korean Open (Jan 22-27).
    The Thomas Cup Asian qualifying rounds will take place in Ho Chi Minh City from Feb 19-24 and the other Opens tournaments ahead of the Olympic qualifying deadline are German Open (Feb 26-March 2), All-England (March 4-9), Swiss Open (March 11-16) and Asian Championships (April 15-20).
    Rexy added that he was not worried about the physical conditions of his charges but expressed his hope they would not repeat past mistakes.
    “I am more worried about the players' attitude. They can be stubborn at times and do not listen to what we tell them to do,” he said.
    “Many times, they play well at the start but tend to vary their game when they get comfortable in the lead. Then they start to panic and don't know how to get out of the situation.
    “This happens to all the pairs frequently, especially Kien Keat-Boon Heong.
    “They have beaten all the top pairs in the world but they are also starting to lose to the underdogs and this is what I hoped do not happen from now.”
    Kien Keat-Boon Heong lost in straight games to Taiwanese Tsai Chia-hsin-Hu Chung-hsien, who are ranked 41st in the world, in the second round of the China Open in November.
    They were surprisingly outplayed by the veteran Indonesian-American partnership of Candra Wijaya-Tony Gunawan in the semi-finals of the Hong Kong Open last month.

2. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I think Rexy's whip is a little worn out. I mean he has been cracking his whip and pulling his hair on this KKK/TBH for sometime. Maybe Rexy should just accept the fact that KKK/TBH aint gonna be like him & Ricky during their playing days. Rexy should just 'enjoy' his tenure in BAM and not add to his blood pressure. You know, take the salary and go for the makan angin etc. Go with the flow of Malaysia Boleh culture.

It is obvious to me Rexy's standards and expectations are just too high for our glamour duo, KKK/TBH. Cannot win the OG or WC, its ok la, after all they have won the AG gold , All England, PO etc .

By now Rexy should know our shuttlers or the Malaysian mentality. I mean, we are over the moon about our 'big success' at the recent SEA games, but lets see where we stand in the Asian games or the Olympic games. Thats the real test. We should benchmark ourselves against China, India, Japan, Korea in the Asia and USA, Australia, France in the world. But we are celebrating because we won more gold medals in the SEA games than Laos, Cambodia etc etc.

So, Rexy if you are reading this ... relax la bro.

3. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

If REXY does not crack his whip now, when will he ? After the Olympics ?

4. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Dude, he has been cracking that whip ... but no effect.
    Its like taking a cane and whipping it against an elephant's behind.

After the Olympics?? Well if didnt win, then we take out that violin and play that old tune "they are still young and there are many more Olympic games in the future"

5. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    something that have to b consider is rexy,(non-malaysian) did think on how to improve kkk/tbh.suggest n act.

please give some respect to rexy for that.

6. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    hmm..i am relax reading that.rexy too.

7. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    i dont think this pic suit the issue.an opinion.

#7 koo_fan, Jan 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  8. JasonMichael

JasonMichael Regular Member

IT consultant
    Pemuda, I think you read too much into the news. Go and approach Rexy and I believe he will tell you from his heart that he really wants our guys to be the best. I seldom got the chance to talk to a person such as him, but somehow I managed talk to him during one of our inter church tournaments and I asked him about kkk & tbh. From his expression and emotions you can see a genuine duty by him to make sure to the best of his ability teach and train our national doubles shuttlers to be the best that they can be and not go by the "malaysia boleh attitude" that you so called mentioned.

9. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Your use of metaphor is absolutely bizarre.

Rexy is an innovator. He has got them to win many titles last year. As far as I am concerned he has managed them very well. No two ways about this.

Of course, I can always expect you to be 'rubbishing this' as you have not stopped since you started.

10. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    jason,mr.x.
    an advice.dont start the argument.u will take at least 3..4..pages.i mean at least.u are provoking pemuda.got me?

an advice from younger sister.listen to me please.

11. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Xball, dont mind Pemuda, he'll always have something to critize about KKK/TBH, even if KKK/TBH do win OG gold in Beijing, he will be "rubbshing them"
    Fu/Cai from China (China players supposed to have better mental strength) flopped in their 1st OG outing in 2004 - they themselves admitted they were not mature enuf then, and pressure.

It's better for Rexy not to put hopes too high. Pressure will too high for the young lads. It's also good for KKK/TBH not to participate in too many tourneys, they are high enuf in the ranking to effort to do so. Lin Dan seems to have same strategy & is missing Msian Open.

I see it also as a veiled message to the relevant authorities, namely NSC & sports ministry - "dont pressure too much for gold". Now NSC soften the stance, used to be 'must get gold from badminton', now is 'medal of any colour in OG'.

12. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Rexy is more than an innovator. He is a world class coach. But KKK/TBH will never reach the heights of Rexy/Ricky. And yes, they have won 'many' titles last year. But to be really great, they have to deliver than OG & WC. Thats the benchmark. And this year's Beijing Olympics will be a good test.

You jumped the gun by saying that I be 'rubbishing' your opinion. I respect your opinion, so you need not throw all your toys out, ok?

13. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I dont know about you but I am still to be convinced. A good test will be this Beijing Olympics ....

14. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

My dear,

There is no argument. We are just exchanging opinions. You should really stop crying wolf.

15. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Ok good. You speak your mind as clear as I speak mine. No argument from me.

16. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

How do you know that I will critize KKK/TBH even if they land themselves that OG?? You have a crystal ball or something?? ;)

But anyway, lets put aside that crystal ball of yours as I am intrigued with your "dont put too much pressure on KKK/TBH" thing.

Ok, lets look at those world champions out there ... Roger Federer, Tiger Woods, do you see them going " ahhh ... relaxs la, let me approach my next tournament with no expectations etc"??

Or lets look at Sir Alex Ferguson, the man is a winner, like it or not. But do you think he will tell his players " ahhhh ... in your next game against Fulham, just relax la, no pressure, dont win also ok"???

I like that basketball legend, Micheal Jordan. And I can tell you, he always pressure himself to do better.

If KKK/TBH aspire to take that OG in Beijing and win that next WC, they gotta set high targets and be able to live and strive under pressure because thats the hallmark of a true champion.

.... but if you are happy with a SEA games gold, Disneyland Open, Phillippines Open title, then the usual "dont put too high hopes, less pressure should be applied la.

#16 Pemuda, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  17. eaglehelang

1) It's called behaviourial pattern or trend of thought. You also know, just saja nak loyar buruk balik

2) I dont have crystal ball - but it's a proven fact - Msian players buckle under intense pressure, less pressure they perform better,and I'm not the only one who say so.
    Sure, setting goals & high targets are good. Too much will cause a meltdown as the media calls it.
    Drilling & pounding them - "You must win gold or else, you must win gold or else", -ve reinforcement. It's demorilizing. It's called old style of management. You also know.
    +ve motivation would be - "you are good, work hard, you can beat them."
    (And all this are proven by very successful people, so we no need to debate)

Remember Park Joo Bong when asked why KKK/TBH lost to Japan's pairs, both times he say they're under pressure as top pair, too nervous. For Japanese pairs, only good performance. I dont qualify to comment but PJB was World Class player, his comments, diplomatic or not, should count for sthing.

And yes, you'll say if they want to be champs, overcome it, etc, etc, etc. Sure they must rise higher, work harder and all that. Will putting them in pressure cooker them the next 8 months do any good?

And about celebrating SEA Games thingy, huh? who's celebrating?? The Sports Minister & Prime Minister said the good results must be continued to OG.

In real life, I've found that +ve motivation works gets better results, with my subordinates & my superiors, regardless of race, country, religion. Hitting hard doesnt do any good long term.

Msian players are faced with intense criticism in everything they do, worse than celebrity. And worse than the sportsmen you mention, at least they earn millions per year - so the pressure also equivalent to the millions that they earn.

In my humble opinion, the pressure doesnt correspond with the rewards, not for badminton. After they retire at 30+, most still have to slog just to make ends meet. But that's another issue.

And again, do you see Indonesia's fans, sports association, etc, pressurizing and critizing their players as much? Or South Korea? Or Denmark ? Or even China. And they have won OG gold.

18. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

"Behaviourial pattern or trend of thought" ??? :( Getting scientific, now eh?? Can you kindly provide me with some reference about this "behaviourial pattern or trend of thought"???

On your Malaysian players' trend to buckle on pressure, I find it interesting. Hmmm ... what about Hafiz ? There is no pressure for the lad to deliver, but he is still stuggling to get into 2nd gear. What about our Msian tennis players, certainly no pressure or whatsoever but do you see a single Msian making news out there??? Our football team, no pressure on them to win the Asian cup, but look what happened to us.

Li Yongbo takes no prisoners in his coaching and management style. you dont deliver, he show you the door. But look at the titles, China have won under him. And look at the players Li Yongbo developed.

Sir Alex Ferguson is another hard manager. His players are scared of him and they know if they step out of line, he ship them out. Look at what happened to Beckham, Ince, RvN etc. But look at the titles Sir Alex won.

Roger Federer is on his way to become the greatest tennis player. He is where he is today because he keeps on pushing himself to get better. Do you think his coach can make Federer be the player he is today if he didnt pushed him hard??? I really doubt Federer's coach will say "tak apa tak menang punya ok, relaks aje"

If you think Msian shuttlers face intense criticism in everything they do, let me remind you that it is nothing as compared to the Chinese or Indonesian shuttlers.

19. eaglehelang

1) Hiyaaa, I'm sure you know all this. The 4 Lahaye temperaments, personality tests, passive-agrresive etc, etc, that I dont have time to search. Each personality type has certain ways of responding, body language what it means. If you have been in the working circle a while, I'm sure you have gone to some of these courses.

2) a) Btw, Msia players buckle under pressure part is about badminton players. That is of course assuming they already fullfill the other criterias : i.e. have the skills, work hard (X5), etc, etc. That also goes for other sports.

Read today's Utusan Malaysia, interview with Rexy http://www.utusan.com.my/utusan/ark...usan_malaysia&sec=sukan&pg=su_01.htm&arc=hive
    Rexy implored on all parties not to put to much pressure, this is the non Msian coach talking. So, I'm not the 'weird' fella who think so.

Too much pressure begets burden, too much burden ->failure. Failure -> lost of confidence -> more failure, becomes self fulfilling prophecy. There goes the vicious cycle. Best example is LCW.

And we are talking about KKK/TBH. TBH esp the pressure gets to him, at WC 2007, it happened.

Another example = CTF/LWW. Rexy said one time (not me, the coach said)"they put too much pressure on themselves." When they put pressurized themselves too much, lose.

b) You gave tennis & football, sports which Msia is not excelling in. Take sailing & Equesterian, Msia is Asian Games champ & SEA Games champ. I dont think these 2 sports are OG sports. Also no pressure, no expectation, they won.

3) The Indonesian fans in this forum dont critize their players as much. They said so and also said we Msian fans, media and the government, are too critical of our baddy players. Do a search, this has been discussed.
    "Nothing compared" eh?
    Was Kido/Setiawan as intensely critized as KKK/TBH when they were in a slump 1st 6 months of 2007? The Indonesian forum members here said they were not = the fans are not, the media are not, the government are not.

Remember too when Park JB quit coaching in Msia, he gave the reason " public expectation is very high." He's in Japan now, still think the same.

China, perhaps, perhaps not, at least CCTV5 & GD Sports are supportive. Our Msian media are not,very critical - following the Sports Ministry lead.

I said intensely critized means including their every move, off court, private live, what they wear, - why do you think LCW & WMC didnt announce their relationship in Msia like LD & XXF? When China media intv WMC, WMC said it's cos LCW very popular in Msia, it's better for to keep low profile.
    The China players (LD, XXF, Fu/Cai, Bao), are more relaxed, dont have to worry what people will critize like LCW does.

A non badminton example for Msia players : Nicol David won awards for Best Woman squash player of the year, won 8 titles. She lost 2. What thanks she got ? For the 2 tourneys she lost, must give "penjelasan" for all the funds the government spend to finance her training.
    From what I read in the media, Federer or footballers get better appreciation.
    If I'm a sportsperson, I'll rather fund myself if that's the case.

4) a) And the issue on Hafiz, for the upteenth time, he's with Nusa Mahsuri, not BAM, no amount of pressure from NSC will work. He can play as long as his club wants him to, like the KLRC players.
    b) How do you know Hafiz not under pressure? Might be too much pressure too after AE 2003, that's why cannot perform.

In any case, lets agree to disagree on this,no point wasting energy to debate further...(need to get some work done)

20. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Rexy should not crack a whip.. he should whip it Indiana Jones style.