Need Stringer Ottawa

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by Controller, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Controller

Controller New Member

I need help in locating an experienced stringer in the Ottawa Area (Canada).
    Unfortunatly I brought my AT700 to a stringer and he destroyed it(25lbs cross and main). The stringer as agreed to replace the racquet but I don't think he knows what he doing (actually I am sure). I am still missing a racquet till the new one comes in and I'll probalby destroy that one too.

Please help.

C

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Try to visit the badminton clubs and even better badminton dedicated gyms. They might have a pro shop which usually offers string services, or you can ask around to see if any reputable player-stringers around.

3. Controller

Controller New Member

Thanks for the response and advise. That's what I did but on my side of the river which is Quebec. I still got a dead beat stringer, maybe in ottawa ontario they can string racquets properly.

C

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I am pretty sure that there are several BCBF member here live is Ottawa. I am just waiting for them to reply to your post...

5. Controller

Controller New Member

Yeah I remember reading posts written by fellow Ottawa residents. Hope they can help before the stringer destroys another AT700.

C

6. bchaiyow

bchaiyow Regular Member

Hi,

Goto Sports Experts at the Bayshore Shopping Center..Ask for Marc only...a lot of people here at the clubs string there...

Another place is the RA center....

And you can also try the master stringer at www.soong.ca

bchaiyow

7. wunderbar

wunderbar Regular Member

I would suggest bringing it to the RA center for convenience if you are near that area. I sometimes get it strung at SportsExpert but now they increased the price for local club members which ends up being more expensive than the RA center.

8. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    1. Ra Centre- The stringing Job is Alright in my Opinion
    2. Sports Experts- Ask for Marc. He uses the "true tension" technique where say u ask for 24 lbs...it will feel like 27ish compared to RA's stringing job. Another thing is that if u have a sportsexperts card, you get 50% off stringing but i think its still guna be a bit more than the RA has to offer.
    3. Soong- No offence but i used to get it strungf by him..not anymore cuz hes getting lazier these days >.< Though i loved his old fashioned sponges

9. Controller

Controller New Member

Thanks a lot guys I will go see Mark at the Sports Expert.

10. TimBitz

TimBitz Regular Member

Sorry to bring a post back from the dead...

Does anyone know if Marc still strings at Sports Experts? All I know is that it's cheap: only $10 there if bringing own strings and if associated with an ODBA club.

I'm new to Ottawa. Thanks!

11. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    I know he still does, but I don't know that it's that cheap anymore...it USED to be with the card, but I can't say for sure xD...But I know I'LL String your racket at RA for $12 with your strings =]

12. bchaiyow

bchaiyow Regular Member

Yes it's still $10 with the card and your own string

13. yeeah

yeeah Regular Member

Last time a buddy of mine went to Sports expert with his own string he was quoted something ridiculous like $30. To buy their string and get it strung was $24, so it's obvious which choice he took.

I've always gone to the RA center (15+ at least now).

14. TimBitz

TimBitz Regular Member

Thanks everybody for replying...I took it to SE last night (missed out on azn_romeo's offer =/).
    They quoted $15 without the ODBA card, and $10 with it, both with own strings.

Service was slow...a bunch of new hires didn't know what to do after the boss left for the night. I'm just praying Marc is at least decent with stringing lol. The place reminds me of Sport Check =S

15. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    Hehe, I work at RA as a stringer...the only one that works at the shop that plays badminton...the price is $12 with strings, and $13.56? with HST...tennis is $15 before tax. but ya, our returns are around 1 day, or sometimes later that night...but it really depends on the amount of work we have...so maximum you get 1.5 or 2 days, but it's never that bad of a turnaround...i can personally do same day, but sometimes time doesn't allow it =(...

16. Metallix_6K

Metallix_6K Regular Member

Ref
    have u tried the RA center? its right by the ottawa airport and the employees there usually know what theyre doing.

17. TimBitz

TimBitz Regular Member

So yeah, update on Sports Experts. I specifically requested for Marc, wanting tension at 22 x 24lbs.
    For some reason he strung it the one piece method... now I haven't looked into the pros/cons too much yet, but I assume this was for quicker stringing cause it does look like he rushed the job: ugly knots and strings not straighten up. The tension feels about right though (just a bit loser than usual).

I will take it to RA the next time it breaks (if I ever break a string before the end of this term). My friends recommend Kevin, azn_romeo is that you? =P

18. BobbyB

BobbyB Regular Member

Software Engg
    coaching info help from the ottawa badminton players

Sorry to ask a non stringing related question in this thread, but I will get hold of so many avid badminton players in Ottawa in a separate post. I am thinking of getting some coaching. The only option I found was from soong. Yes, there is the pros at RA center but I think I am too novice (and poor) to start taking lesson from pro players like mike right off that bat. Any advice on where I can get some decent coaching? I am at 30, recreational player, looking to improve my skills. If I get good then I will think of club level competition, something to keep me cheerful in my mid life crisis ;)