BWF to impose penalty on nations whose players fail to show up

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by george@chongwei, Jan 7, 2008.

1. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

from www.thestar.com.my

PETALING JAYA: A bond of US$500 will be imposed on badminton nations for players who do not show up for a major championships after having confirmed their participation.
    The Badminton World Federation's (BWF) council agreed to impose the bond on nations who have players who regularly do not show up after agreeing to a proposal made by their sports committee.
    The BWF stated in their website that the country would only be allowed to enter the players for future tournament after they pay the penalty money. The money, however, will be refunded when their players compete in the particular tournament

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    A bond of $500?
    Just 500??? :confused:

That doesn't sound like a deterrent penalty.
    That sounds more like a pathetic joke ;)

3. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    it does seem to add up if an entire squad does pull out :p, but i wonder if there are any leaniencies(sp?) towards injuries and injured players. obviously not an entire squad could be injured at once, but one or two players, would the bond be refunded cause of something unforseen? lol

4. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    the fine is a joke. why not ban players like soccer. two yellow card turns to one red card. one red card means you are banned from one match. so you fail to come without any feasible reason, ban the player for the next ranking points giving tournament. that will hurt them more, losing the chance to rake in ranking points. i know banning them will probably make the tournament less interesting if top players are missing but i dont think they will do it often because ranking points are important.