Advice for choosing of racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by henryk, Jan 8, 2008.

1. henryk

henryk Regular Member

Student
    Hello all,

I recently grown out of my current racket so I am thinking of changing one.
    I play mostly doubles/mixed, and prefer to smash/drop from the back, so I may be considered a relatively aggresive player. My skill level is intermediate, and I play 3 days a week, with the rest of the days dedicated to offcourt training. And I am from singapore, my budget is 200 SGD.

I am thinking of these rackets

at900t/p
    at700
    ti-10 new

Oh by the way, I am using Proace Platinum now.

Thanks.

2. xuguochuan

xuguochuan Regular Member

at500..if u prefer drop from the back
    at500 good control n defense,$160,no so poweful in smash but still can do,made in japan= good QC
    good luck:)

3. nsync

nsync Regular Member

i would suggest ti-10 new。。。
    900p is too heavy/slow for double...
    900t is too pricey if compare to ti-10 ..
    so i choosed ti-10....
    at-700 could be nice for mixed double ... IMHO

4. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Is your defense good? AT900P and AT700 are kinda slow, but not enough to seriously slow you down, and you'll get used to them. AT900T is faster but less power. Ti-10 is cheaper, feels light, and very powerful. I'd say to narrow it down between the AT900s (may be a tad more expensive) or the Ti-10; AT700 is great for doubles, but hard to control for drops (Heavy head has a bit too much momentum), and may feel a bit slow. Try to test them out first.

5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Henryk's Choice

Your decision on which racquet to buy should be influenced by the way you play - not by assigning yourself into some class (like smash-a-lot, drop-a-lot, clear-a-lot, etc) :)

Personally, I'd recommend the Yonex MP-99 or Yonex Ti-10 if you are indeed a hard hitter. But if you are the type of player that likes to mix the furious with the delicate, those racquets are wrong choices :(

A simple method you could use is to watch how players better than you play - and try to identify whose style best resembles yours (go ahead and borrow it for a few hits if you're thick-skinned enough) :p It might be a good idea to choose a racquet that mirrors the specifications of what that 'similar player' is using ;)

Lastly, if your playing environment is packed with panicky players (those who make wild swings at every return and dart all over the court without a coherent plan), you are likely to regret buying an expensive racquet. In such a scenario, something made of depleted uranium or riveted steel might be a solid idea.

6. wocdam

wocdam Regular Member

Professional
    based on your budget, either AT700 or Ti10; if you play doubles most of the time, Ti10 is more suitable.

7. henryk

henryk Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the advice so far. So I should narrow it down to mp99, the 900s, and ti-10.

I will be making a trip now down to one shop to test out the rackets but I wont be buying any yet.

out of the professional doubles matches I watched, I can say my style mimicks the TH player Sudket Prapakamol most. But I do have one weakness, which is netting. But I believe it is more of a skill problem so I will be training on that.

8. wakloo69

wakloo69 Regular Member

librarian
    I think Ti10 is suit to your play style. Due to headlightness it will give you fast response without lose your smashing power if you can hit with the right technique. The price also not too pricey.

9. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    that is superlite racket.....;)
    from there, to Ti-10, is good transfer

10. nogat_bits

nogat_bits Regular Member

student
    imho there is no special double rackets or single one, or special for drop clear etc. there is only ur rackets ;) i use personally d600 for both single and double. the only good idea now, why don't u try one of ur favorite one and play with it, let ur hand answer all ur questions ;)

11. henryk

henryk Regular Member

Student
    i just came back from queensway with at700

I was not supposed to buy one yet but somehow when I swung that racket it felt extremely fitting. So I took it haha. Thanks for all your advices. Will go on to play with this racket liao. =)

12. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

It plays beautifully. A REALLY nice racket...:D:D:D