Hafiz not in training with coach Misbun

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by winnie, Jan 9, 2008.

1. winnie

winnie Regular Member

Hafiz missing in action

Hafiz missing in action
    HARESH DEOL

THERE was a tinge of sarcasm as he broke the silence.
    Perhaps national singles coach Misbun Sidek was being ‘polite’. Or perhaps due to personal sentiments the former national would prefer to play down the issue instead.

However, it is no secret Misbun and his ‘prodigy’ Hafiz Hashim share more than just drop shots and smashing skills.

The Malaysian Open Super Series is set to commence at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil next Tuesday. Yet, Hafiz was nowhere in sight during the evening training session at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara yesterday.
    In fact Hafiz has not been attending Misbun’s training regularly for sometime now.

Some claimed he sweats it out at Nusa Mahsuri while others have seen him training under Misbun only twice last week.

Misbun preferred a non-committal approach towards Hafiz’s absences but his displeasure towards the 2003 All-England champion was written all over his face.

“If he says he is sick, what else can I do?” questioned Misbun.
    “I don’t want to get too detailed over the whole scenario. Now is not the best time for me to discuss about this as I have much more important things to think about.”

Misbun’s expression seems to suggest this has been going on for sometime now but he has been patient over Hafiz’s unenthusiastic attitude, so patient that it has somehow turned him numb instead.

It must be frustrating for Misbun having nurtured Hafiz since his early days to winning the 2002 Manchester Commonwealth Games and beating China’s Chen Hong 17-14, 15-10 in the All-England final a year later.

Since then, Hafiz, 25, is a far cry compared to his same aged compatriot World No 2 Lee Chong Wei.

The Kelantanese’s last win was the Philippines Open in May 2006.
    Younger brother to Roslin Hashim, Hafiz has been struggling to maintain his form but Misbun was always defensive of him especially during the World Championship in Bukit Jalil last year. A lethargic play saw him managing the last 16 spot.

Misbun was then remembered saying marriage has changed Hafiz into a more responsible and disciplined player, thus suggesting his inconsistency in attending training may have surfaced much earlier than speculated.
    Some perceive Hafiz has lost the plot while others suggested the extreme measure of showing him the exit.

As far as the Badminton Association of Malaysia is concerned, they will need to have further discussions with Misbun over Hafiz’s behaviour.
    “We will evaluate Hafiz during the Malaysian Open and Korea Open (Jan 22-27),” added BAM general manager Kenny Goh.

taken from Malay Mail 9 Jan 2008

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

he's defintiely lost the plot.
    i just wonder now who can get through to him.

3. winnie

winnie Regular Member

better give out the place to other younger players la..

4. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

5. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Unenthusiasistic attitude?? ;)

I think we should give Hafiz more time and space. Dont pressure him as he won the AE. Lets keep this Malaysia boleh thing going as I think we can win big in Beijing.

6. pijah

pijah Regular Member

Student
    Sounds sarcastic. :p

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

that's cause it is.
    :)

8. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

By LIM TEIK HUAT
    KUALA LUMPUR: Shuttler Mohd Hafiz Hashim is not training under his long-time coach Misbun Sidek after going through the most testing time of his career last year. And it has raised speculations that the duo are heading for a split.
    While Misbun is putting national number one Lee Chong Wei through the paces at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara here, Hafiz has opted to spar with shuttlers under Rahman Sidek at the Nusa Mahsuri base in Kelana Jaya.
    Both players are preparing for two back-to-back Super Series tournaments – the season-opening Malaysian Open next week and the Korean Open in Seoul.
    Misbun said yesterday that it was for Hafiz to decide on what was best for him.
    “Of late, he has not been coming here (Juara Stadium) regularly. He may be feeling the pressure ahead of the Malaysian Open. He will be playing against Chong Wei in the first round and getting this draw in your home Open is not something good to start off the year,” he said.
    “He is old enough to know what is best for him. If he feels that not training with us will help him deal better, then let it be. It's his choice and I do not want to make an issue out of it because I have other players to look after.”
    On whether Hafiz would be leaving Nusa Mahsuri, the club he joined to pursue a professional badminton career, Misbun said: “He is still our player. I have not received anything in black and white on him leaving us.”
    Misbun is the coaching director of Nusa Mahsuri and is on secondment to the National Sports Council (NSC) as a coach of the national team.
    “I am the coach and anyone can come and go if he puts it officially to me. This was the case with Chong Wei when he came to seek help from me sometime last year. I did not hesitate to take him back because he wants to go up to the top again,” he said.
    Hafiz was the gold medallist in the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester and he went on to bag the All-England title the following year.
    But his career has been on slide since then and he suffered his worst season last year.
    Hafiz competed in 15 international Opens and failed to go beyond the early round except for a semi-final appearance in the Korean Open in January.
    He is currently the third ranked Malaysian singles player, ranked at number 17 in the world – one rung behind Wong Choong Hann. Chong Wei is now the world number two.

9. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    hafiz - misbun split??maybe it is the best for eveyone.

less pressure to misbun.
    n may hafiz can give himself space without having misbun in his career.this is the best time he could think what is missing in his game.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Wouldn't Mrs. Hafiz be pushing hashim to... 'get a job'?:p

11. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

How la to win when one cant even show up for training???

This is the result of years of pampering.

12. Zealous

Zealous Regular Member

So does this means it will be one on one coaching for chong wei. Since he's not showing up in the training ? Misbun only trains to single shuttlers right ? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

13. shanisen3200

shanisen3200 Regular Member

Goldsmith
    so who's the next coach for hafiz...?

14. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Berita Harian also had an article on this yesterday, post #46 :
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51096&page=3
    with Hafiz's response that he's still training under Misbun

Senior squad, Misbun also trains KBH. There're a few juniors under Project 2010-2012 who trained under Misbun - Chan KB. This year not sure who are the juniors.

15. Lobeh

Lobeh Regular Member

Permuda mate, you are one funny dawg!!
    Should have called yourself Malaysia Boleh.

16. winnie

winnie Regular Member

well, maybe he feels that if he's to train together with chong wei, chong wei might already find ways to beat him.. well, haha is it hafiz got secret weapon?

17. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

How can one win that RM1.0million Olympic gold when one cant even make it to training?? Maybe BAM should provide transport allowances as well.

18. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    When Misbun Sidek's attention is now quite justifiably focused on getting Lee Chong Wei up to top form for the battles immediately ahead, maybe Hafiz shouldn't be blamed for thinking that he would be better off training elsewhere :)

After all, the first encounter coming up is with Lee Chong Wei :eek:

Perhaps Hafiz deserves a bit more sympathy (not that it will make him any better a player) ;)

19. Lobeh

Lobeh Regular Member

In a way I wish Roslin was Hafiz as his work ethic is sound. Whenever I saw him lose at the All England he definitely was feeling very down and didn't have that 'nevermind la' attitude. Also has a great fighting spirit.
    And he gave me his shirt....

20. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    for the time being,shima must sit next to hafiz n say
    'dear,everything'll be alright.u have me".thats the role of being mrs. hafiz.