My turn on the stand

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Birdwood, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Following the trendy moves by my fellow BCers with a few hundred or even thousand posts, it’s time for me to step to the plate for a very brief Intro. From my meager posts, you can see in most of them I tried to have some fun by joking. That’s because (1) I need to lessen the stresses (2) I don’t have the in-depth knowledge about badminton as many of you do :D

I was born in Shanghai, China. I am old enough to remember many things happened during China’s rise from the self-destructive era. No, I didn’t play badminton in my youth because my teacher in middle school kept me for a host of chores in and after school. At the time, students didn’t care to study because knowledge was not needed. You can image what a class would like if only few wanted to listen and learn :mad:

But I did have a brush with a sad experience about badminton while in middle school. One of my classmates joined badminton team coached by a PE teacher, who happened to have come back from SEA. The team trained hard outdoor about 3-4 hrs a day after school (the school didn’t have a gym). In about 6-8 months, my classmate went to hospital with stomach lesions, where we visited him. After that, he passed away of stomach cancer, in less than a year’s time after being in middle school. Later on, I realized why he got cancer at such a young age. His family might have been quite poor to provide him with adequate food. He might have been skipping meals and not having enough to eat the whole time. With the amount of training he put in, his stomach finally gave out. At the time, we wouldn’t have noticed because everyone walked home for lunch. The unfortunate event happened long ago, but it left me with a lasting mark about the sacrifice and commitment one can make for badminton :crying::eek:

Here we are today in BC, passionate for the success of badminton, but always looking back to the past for encouragement and strength, whether from our past experiences, achievements, histories, …. Why Birdwood, it’s a street we lived on before. I appreciate places more after I moved away or things better after they had got lost. Hopefully, it’s just me :)

The end

2. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Oh, by the way, I played a little bit of badminton at university while doing my post-graduate work, then stopped for long time until moved to CA. The answers to how, what, and why I play badminton have been posted in other threads, which I don’t want to bore you again. Actually, it’s another trend going on in BC at the moment, finding someone’s information through past postings, especially if you’d like to find work with ABCD.

3. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Howdy there, fellow Bird! Bird-wood.
    Enjoyed the fun we had & will enjoy the fun we will continue to have.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

All riiiise...

...i hope you weren't waiting for me to reply to your Intro. thread.....:p ;)
    (rest of Birdwood's fabulous testimony snipped for brevity)..:)
    ..what happened to the rest of you 800+ posts?? i was looking for them...i hope they weren't deleted, by accident?!..:confused: :rolleyes: ;)
    Welcome, again, Birdwood, aboard BCBF!:) Yes, i can attest to your sharing as we, at least i am, have read your many wonderful posts in this forum..
    Anyway, great that you can join w/us and share your love and enthusiasms for this sport! And extra props to you for doing an Intro. thread........the conventional way!! Like they say, it's better early than late (oh wait, is it suppose to be 'it's better late than never'?!)......;):cool:
    *Btw, i didn't know you're a sentimental person, just like our chris@ccc???:confused: :cool:
    :p...does the Agency of BadmintonCentral Detectives offer paid work???...:eek: :confused: ;)

#4 ctjcad, Jan 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    sorry to hear about your sad childhood memory of badminton.
    personally i don't think the cancer was related to badminton training. Malnutrition shouldn't cause cancer. Because of poverty, he might of eaten something bad or contaminated foods. Anyway, it is ironic that i play badminton for the opposite reason, to lose weight:eek:

6. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Thanks for the kind words. Actually, I was not waiting for your reply, but looking for your Intro :eek:

As the other 800+ posts, they are there just waiting to be born. I was pressured by the guilty feeling to come clean quickly and before I run out of ideas ;)

Try to stay away from the word of "sentimental", otherwise our chris@ccc will get a new idea to start another crying session for “sad stories”. Since I'm older, I do have a lot of advantage at sadness ... :crying:

I suppose pay by IOU can be arranged at ABCD now, but can only be cashed out after a waiting period extended well into the next century, that is if you out-last BC, not the other way around ... :D

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmmm...

...*grumble* darn, if i'd knew, i wouldn't reply to your Intro. thread right away...:rolleyes: :p ;)
    As for my Intro., well, 2 things are for sure,
    1. whoever will read it, he/she will fall asleep faster than a baby...:crying: :p
    2. with the no. of useless posts i've posted, i'm not qualified anymore....:eek: :p
    ..running out of ideas???:confused:...well, then, don't tell that to our cooler (see # of posts he has)...and he's still going strong...:p :D ;)
    ...then how about if you change your screen-name from Birdwood to something......"less sentimental"..:confused: ;)
    ...does the Agency of BadmintonCentral Detectives even offer IOU payment???...:confused: :p;)

#7 ctjcad, Jan 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  8. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

I guessed he played empty stomached for too long and no one knew. It caused lesions in stomach, which in turn developed into cancer. Transition from stomach lesions to cancers happened a lot in China back then because of lack of food (especially soft food), poor medical service, etc. Bad or contaminated foods were possibilities.

I brought up the story actually to illustrate how Chinese people were committed to badminton to achieve the stardom. Hopefully, Chn will stay that way with the lessons learned from the past.

9. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

So it's actually coming, I can feel it. I know one thing for sure with all those posts you have, no one will ever be able to find what need to be found on you (the dossier), not even our own ABCD :cool:

Cooler is the super being. I'm only a spark compared to his sun chariot :eek:

I'll only if you come out of hiding from ... and take your prize :D

If they don't, I will :p

10. eaglehelang

In that regard, ctjcad, arent you & chriscc supposed to find the answers to my little quiz? My prize is still waiting (for real one, no joke, no joke)

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Introduction: Birdwood

Hello Birdwood,

Welcome to Badminton Central !!! :D:D:D

12. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    hang ten birdwood! surf true and surf well....:)

yeah, i always remember the places i left behind too. memories cropped up once in a while and takes us back. :) and i am sorry for the lost of your friend.

those who work for ABCD might be paid peanuts but the glamour and excitement is priceless. hahahaha.....

birds of the same feather, gather together? can birdwood and eaglehelang fly together? ABCD, another case for you :)

13. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Birds like to fight and I like to fight guys in BC forum, but not gals. You gals are TOO strong for me. I made rules to stay out of your way ... you, eaglehelang, and azazaz :D

14. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hello there, birdwood:):D

15. eaglehelang

Nahhh, azabar mean fly together mah, in harmony, no prob. There're still the other youngsters - Joanne, koo_fan, pijah, and I think pjswift too (ha! another bird - swift).

If you ever come Msia, lots of guys & gals will accommodate you, from so many states too, ;);)

16. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    welcome Birdwood, sorry to hear about the sadness in your life. Cool name though!

17. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Thanks. I'll leave flying to the younger generations. For me, only tending wood stocks or picking. Maybe I should change user name to wood picker instead and no more bird ;):D

18. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    ahhhh reminds me of that cute woodstock in peanuts comic strips. :D

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Woodstock can fly

But Woodstock can fly. :D:D:D And Birdwood doesn't want to fly? :confused::confused::confused:

20. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    woodstock might be able to fly, but woodstock loves the ground too much. hahahaha :)