Cheah Soon Kit's 1st Interview after leaving BAM

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by eaglehelang, Jan 12, 2008.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

from The Star
    13 Jan 2008

Soon Kit: I left because I yearn new challenges

PETALING JAYA: After a six-year service as the national women’s coach, Cheah Soon Kit has quit the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) with one main intention – to seek new challenges.
    And that is why Soon Kit, who tendered in his resignation on Dec 31, chose to join professional club KLRC Bhd as their chief coach.

And if everything falls into place, Soon Kit will be seen with the KLRC at the Malaysian Open, which begins on Wednesday at Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil.

Soon Kit, who can be credited with having played a crucial role in improving the standard of Malaysia’s women’s doubles players, also quashed speculations that he had left the BAM with ill-feelings.

“It was just the right time for me to move on. I felt that I had completed my part for the Malaysian women’s doubles. I wanted a new challenge – to groom both men and women players,” said Soon Kit.

“With the KLRC, I will be involved in a lot of planning for the club. I am looking forward to raising world-beaters from this club.

“People should not misconstrue this move. It is good to have a healthy competition between the BAM and the KLRC. After all, both are doing the same thing – producing the best players for the country.”

Soon Kit’s only disappointment as a coach with the BAM was not seeing any of his charges winning an Open tournament.

“There were several firsts – winning at the Commonwealth and SEA Games. Our pair (Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty) broke the psychological barrier against China players by beating their world number one pair,” he said.

“But no one won an Open title although there were several close calls. That’s the only low point.”

Soon Kit had ruffled some feathers in the BAM set-up at times but he defended it by saying that he had only fought for the cause of the women players.

“Yes, I had been outspoken but it was only because I wanted the best for the women. When I was a player (1986-2001), the focus was more on the men. But I am happy that since I took over, the women have been given
    greater exposure. I hope the BAM will continue doing the good job,” he said.
    Soon Kit thanked the BAM for keeping him under their umbrella over the last 21 years – both as a player and coach.

“The experiences were different as a player and a coach. I learnt to be more responsible as a coach. I must thank the BAM and the NSC (National Sports Council) for giving me these opportunities.”

On his immediate task with the KLRC, Soon Kit said: “Some of our players are in with a shot at making it to the Beijing Olympic Games. The focus will be on them.”
    The KLRC players hoping to make the Olympic cut are world number 19 Lee Tsuen Seng and their women’s doubles pair of Lim Pek Siah-Haw Chiou Hwee (32nd).

Finally Cheah Soon Kit says something, diplomatic too.

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    A good move for him indeed. More responsibility as well as he cherish the challenges. Not easy. It's good to ruffle some feathers at times or else, it'll create a dictatorship environment and the place will be too stale or unproductive and unhealthy. This gives options to employers who may pull him back when some coaches decides to leave. After all, everything looks good now. No harm exploring.

3. Tjun Tjun

Tjun Tjun Regular Member

I've every confidence in Cheah Soon Kit. He is a no nonsence, experienced coach. Wish him all the best as his move to KLRC will see him playing a much bigger and more responsible role as the head head.....this move will provide healthy competition between BAM and KLRC and this can only be good for Malaysia as hopefully a larger pool of quality players is then created.

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Bagus! Well said. He also has a no nonsence smash during his hey days where many players would like to emulate him. Very much like Liem Swee King style.

5. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    hahaha.... good for MAS den... hopin for more from him in future! :D

6. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    CHEAH SOON KIT WE SUPPORT YOU. DID A GREAT JOB WITH BAM. TELLS THE WORLD THAT M'SIAN WD CAN PLAY WELL.

WE MISS YOUR JUMPING SMASH VERY MUCH!!

ALL THE BEST FOR YOUR FUTURE!