London: SE? , Bacon's College, Tuesday ?

Discussion in 'UK' started by monkey1, Jan 14, 2008.

1. monkey1

monkey1 Regular Member

I'm looking to play at Bacon's College in Canada Water (London) on Tuesdays, but do not know much about the club.

Can anyone tell me :

1. What times doe they meet?
    2. How busy does it get?
    3. Do they play with feathers or plastics?
    4. Do I need to be invited or let someone know I would like to come?
    5. Are some of the players competitive?
    6. Do they offer or could they offer any form of coaching? (I'm really keen to improve at the moment and playing games is just not helping enough).
    7. Does anyone do any drills there?

I've been to the Wednesday night at Bacon's and everyone was really nice but I think the level is too high for me at the moment.

Sorry for all the questions!!! :)

2. Dwong

Dwong Regular Member

Hi there,

To answer your questions:
    1. 7pm
    2. It can get busy but sometimes can be real quiet...on a busy night you are looking at 20+ and on a quiet night sometime 10-12...really depends (not sure what the influencing factors are)
    3. Feathers
    4. No invite needed..just show up and ask for Mandic (MD)
    5. Some players do play in a league so does that count as competitive..its usually a social atmosphere there.
    6. No coaching
    7. No drills

Were you there on Wed nights? Dunno if i remember seeing you there before. There is another club on a Sat that is run by Linda near Shadwell with Beginners-Advanced. Some form of coaching takes place and drills but depends on how busy it is...if you are interested let me know.

3. monkey1

monkey1 Regular Member

Dwong, thanks a lot. I probably have seen you on Wednesdays...I've been the worse player there for a few months now!..lol (I wish I was joking!).

I think I will try out Bacon's Tuesday club and see what it is like, it sounds better suited to for me I think.

I'm definitely interested in having coaching. Shadwell is a little bit of journey coming from near Greenwich (though maybe I'm just unaware of the right bus!). Regardless, being as it's on a Saturday I would be interested in it. could you give any details about it? e.g. prices, times, location etc.

thanks again.

4. Dwong

Dwong Regular Member

5. monkey1

monkey1 Regular Member

Dwong, thanks so much....you are a star! If the Shadwell club is on the DLR it will be ideal.

I think I might try out the Canada Water club tonight and the Shadwell club this weekend. Do you happen to know the times, name/number of the building and anyone I might need to contact for the Shadwell club? (I could only see the street name on the Google Map link).

cheers.

6. Dwong

Dwong Regular Member

Hi monkey1,

The name of the building is Bishop Challenor School. Its at the end of Hardinge Street so its really hard to miss. The session is from 2-5pm and the price is £5. You can contact me on my mobile if you have any problems, 07783753057 and just ask for Douglas.

But if you get there, you can ask for Linda as she's the person in charge of the club. Have fun at tonights session and hope to see you this sat.

7. monkey1

monkey1 Regular Member

Brilliant, thanks Douglas.

8. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    hi guys, any idea whether warwick badminton down Dulwich on Sun is still on?
    Cheers!:)

9. Dwong

Dwong Regular Member

Yes i can confirm that Warwick park badminton club still runs on a sunday at 6.30pm in Dulwich.

10. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    Wow thank you so much Douglas! You've been very helpful, really appreciate it

11. hopspch

hopspch Regular Member

IT
    Hi there

If you are interested in another club in the S.E., try Parkside , they play in Eltham Green Sports College , on Tuesday 8-10pm ( All abilities ) Fridays 8.30 - 10.30pm (Advanced) and Sundays 10am - noon ( All abilities )
    All sessions have a coach present, there is as much or as little coaching depending on your experience,
    they have 4 courts,
    they play with feathers
    no invitation needed, just turn up and introduce yourself, it's a very friendly club as it started life as a pay and play so all are welcomed
    it's £5 for the 2 hour session, this includes the shuttles.
    if you like the club, then it's a £30 annual membership, which you can pay over 6 weeks
    If you are interested, just turn up for either the Tuesday or Sunday sessions.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ms...51.454167,0.038538&spn=0.034391,0.107288&z=14
    Hope to see you soon :)

Peter

12. total19

total19 Regular Member

Douglas, thank alot for the information! I am really glad I finally found this breathtaking and life-lightening post here. Can you give a little more information about the wednesday session as well? Also, in additional to the previous questions, how much is it and how long are the sessions?

Many thanks!

13. Dwong

Dwong Regular Member

Hi total19! Glad you found that information useful! The Wed session starts at 7.30pm but sometimes most players arrive at 8pm so dun get worried if you get there and no one is there yet! Ask for Nhita as she runs the Wed session at Bacons. Cost wise it is £5 per session and it usually finishes at 10pm..sometimes the college can be quite laxed and let it run till 10.30pm. Hope you have a good time there!

Cheers!

14. sayunnz

sayunnz Regular Member

Hi, Im interested to join the Shadwell Club. Do they still play on every Sat?

Do you know of any club playing on Sunday and located in East London/Central London?

Thanks.

15. sayunnz

sayunnz Regular Member

Hi Pete
    This place seems to be like 9.1miles from my place but my crave for Sunday badminton just to be fit for badminton again may surmount that.

Do they still play on Sunday? How much does it cost per session for members then?

Thanks

16. Pangster

Pangster New Member

Web Designer
    Hi,

Just a quick question regarding the badminton nights on Tuesday and Wednesday. Do we just turn up and play? Is it first come first serve (excuse the pun) or do we have to book in advance?

Thanks in advance

17. Pangster

Pangster New Member

Web Designer
    BTW, I was referring to the Bacon's College venue

18. Zheng

Zheng Regular Member

health care
    Hi,

This is a quite old post,wondering do you guys still play in Bacon's College and do you welcome any more new plays?

19. Zheng

Zheng Regular Member

health care
    Hi,

This is a quite old post,wondering do you guys still play in Bacon's College and do you welcome any more new players?

20. Pangster

Pangster New Member

Web Designer
    Bacon's College

Hi there,

Just thought I'd let you know that you can't just turn up and play. Booking is required contrary to the comments made here. I managed to book a court once after much effort and with 2 weeks advance notice. But this was the only time as the rest were block booked for weeks until the new year.

So, you'll need to do this in advance. The receptionist wasn't particularly helpful either as she wasn't able to take a booking for me in person. Instead, I was given a phone number to call which was always busy.

So, does anyone else know of a place where I can play without too much effort? Badminton seems to be a popular sport in London.

Thx