Malaysian Open 2008 - Day 2 - Jan 16 - First Round

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open 2008' started by vching, Jan 15, 2008.

1. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    Malaysian Open Day 1 Predictions

The start of the first Super Series in 2008 has some pretty interesting encounters

Zhu Lin vs. Yip Pui Yin
    The reigning world champion Zhu Lin takes on big smasher Yip Pui Yin. While Zhu Lin has failed to reproduce the form that got her her crown in Kuala Lumpur, Yip Pui Yin has also failed to live up to her reputation. She easily lost the first round match in Hong Kong last year to the little known Canadian Anna Rice. However, all the statistics I have to work with are woefully out of date, and both Zhu and Yip might be on opposite sides of the spectrum. Its hard to write predictions for the first round match of the first tournament of the year, and we'll see what happens tomorrow. However, Zhu Lin should be able to continue defending her title. and defeat Yip in a 2 set match, and Yip would do well to stretch the Chinese to a third.

Taufik Hidayat vs. Park Sung Hwan
    Taufik Hidayat today commented that the Malaysian Open title is not something he is eying for this year. However, one would be foolish to dismiss Taufik. While Park, Korea's top rated Men's Singles player hs been quite impressive lately, Hidayat would most probably claim this match in 2 tight sets.

Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong vs. Joko Riyadi/Hendra Gunawan
    A tough opening match for Malaysian hotshots Koo and Tan. The first seed and the world number 1 Malaysians are out to please their loyal fans, and Koo and Tan should easily sweep past the Indonesians in 2 sets. I predict that Koo and Tan will face no difficulties (hopefully, I won't jinx them) until the meet Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng in the semifinals.

Full article:The Badminton Blog - Malaysian Open Day 1 Predictions

2. leonardklh

leonardklh Regular Member

student
    why xie xing fang give an walkover to cheng shao chieh?????

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Matches involving Team INA (including Djarum's sole representative)

MEN'S SINGLES
    Taufik Hidayat
    [6]vs Park Sung Hwan -- another early round match against Park Sung Hwan...and I think Taufik should take this one again.

Andrew Smith vs Simon Santoso -- Simon should also progress, but, he will face either Taufik or Park on Thursday.

Andre Kurniawan Tedjono vs Eric Pang -- Andre has increasingly become more matured in his game and a first round win tomorrow will serve to boost his confidence in this new season.

Lee Hyun Il vs Sony Dwi Kuncoro [5] -- a tough match for both players and I fear Sony might go out.

WOMEN'S SINGLES
    Pia Bernadet Zebadiah vs Kanako Yonekura -- Pia has done the hard job of qualifying for the main draw and 2220 valuable ranking points in her coffer which means she will go up to the top 60. Another win will be a bonus for her.

MEN'S DOUBLES
    Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong [1] vs Hendra Gunawan/Joko Riyadi -- a terrible draw yet again for AG/Joko (and next week too), so, they might go out in R32 for the coming forthnight.

Luluk Hadiyanto/Alvent Yulianto vs Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari/Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif -- probably the match of the round and it will be an exciting match. The MAS pair has an edge.

Fang Chieh-Min/Lee Sheng-Mu vs Tony Gunawan/Candra Wijaya [4] -- a tricky match against the fast-improving Chinese-Taipei pair. But, Tony/Candra should take this one.

Hoon Thien How/Tan Wee Kiong vs Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan [2] -- a tricky one too for the World Champion after an astonishing year-end for them.

WOMEN'S DOUBLES
    Vita Marissa/Lilyana Natsir
    [8]vs Johanna Persson/Elin Berglom -- a breeze for the 8th seed.

Carina Mette/Birgit Overzier vs Rani Mundiasti/Endang Nursugianti -- a tricky one for Rani/Endang as always against the veteran GER pair. Hopefully, they can take this one.

Jo Novita/Greysia Polii vs Nina Vislova/Valeria Sorokina -- ditto for Jo/Greysia...the Russian is improving very fast.

MIXED DOUBLES
    David Lindley/Suzanne Rayappan vs Mohd Rijal/Greysia Polii -- Rijal/Greysia are finally back after a 5 mths absence since the WC 2007 (which was also held in KL last year). A tough match against the improving ENG pair and with Greysia's experience, they should edge out a win in rubber-set.

Flandy Limpele/Vita Marissa [4] vs Joachim Fischer Nielsen/Britta Andersen -- with Zheng Bo/Gao Ling's withdrawal, the path is opened for Flandy/Vita to progress to the Final.

Devin Lahardi/Lita Nurlita vs Kristof Hopp/Birgit Overzier -- a tough match is in store for Devin/Lita. It will be good if they can win this one.

Fang Chieh-Min/Cheng Wen-Hsing vs Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir [2] -- a tricky match and the last time these two pairs meet, it ended in a rubber-set.

4. Tommy Susanto

Tommy Susanto Regular Member

Here we go again

Oh no XAY of SIN has done it again.....no not in the 1st round but in the qualifying round:crying::crying::crying:

5. madbad

madbad Regular Member

China withdrawals

They've already withdrawn their WS and XD #1 seeds, so why not pull their WS#1 seed too. Reasons genuine or suspicious? Add to that LD never even entered–he would have been the #1 seed in MS...:rolleyes:

6. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    I read the draw from tournament software, it indicated that MK/HS will be up against the Brits pair of Robert Adcock/ Robin Middleton in the last match of today. :cool:
    While Wee Kiong/Thien How somehow were pitted against their senior Choong TF/Lee WW in the first round :mad:

7. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Hmm....I thought its Kido/Hendra against Q2, who should be Hoon/Tan :rolleyes:

8. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Couple of exciting matches in today's first round fixtures.

1. Sudket / Pattapol vs Sakamoto/ Ikeda - a very tough opener for the Thais pair, it will be a 3 set triller.
    I've ask all my frans who will bumped into stadium today to give FULL support to Sudket :p

2. Chan Chong Ming/Chew Choon Eng vs Lee Jae Jin/ Hwang Ji Man -
    - The Korean holds some slight edge over the host "Reformed" pair -- in terms of experince in handling pressure on a Super Series Event.
    CCM stamina is in doubt after having to gone through 2 matches in Qualifying -- Especially the one with Bona/ Ahsan. If the match go into decider, my pick will be on the fitter Korean.

3. Gan Teik Chai/ Lin Woon Fui vs Jung Jae Sung/ Lee Yong Dae
    - The Korean Pair should have breezed past this "Fragile" MAS Pair - the weakest combination among MAS Elite MD Squad.
    - Don't forget Lee Yong Dae gota lots female fans in the stadium to cheered him up every time he is in action ;)

4. Tazari/ Fairuz vs Luluk/ Alven
    - Based on recent form, MAS pair should win on this one. However, LL/ALV will be a tough nut to bite. A 50-50 match .:rolleyes:

9. nmy3889

nmy3889 Regular Member

newspaper stated that xxf had a freak accident yesterday in her hotel...apparently she fell in the bathroom and injured her elbow...so that's abit of luck for wmc?? path to semi finals is clear thanks to the slippery bathroom...:D:D

10. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

The game started, very tight first game between He HB/YY and Keita/Miyuki

11. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

TWk & WKW need to buckle up a bit.
    Many exposure by still never go far to like 3rd round or quater.

12. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Msia young XD pair, TWee Kiong/Woon KW already lost to Denmark, Eriksen/Neilsen, in straight sets.

13. ronnie14

ronnie14 Regular Member

goodluck Taufik!

14. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    i think anthony clark is having a bad year... split with robert blair, paired with one of the up and coming (but not that up and coming) lads, and to top it all - he and donna kellog seem to be freefalling thru the rankings - they were top 10 at some time last year - even making it to the final of the WC (albeit losing to robertson/emms in the final) since then it's all been backwards for them. and tony in particular..

they lost to one of the PFQ's in three!!

ah well

15. daniel2323

daniel2323 Regular Member

OMG... fLAVI LOST...!!
    toooo baddddd :(

16. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I was wondering why Clark/Blair split, they were quite good together.
    I think the WC you're talking about is 2005? Back then most prob due to Rexy being there as coach.

17. coops241180

Product Owner
    errr yeah what happened there? flandy and vita were 4th seeds! and they lose spectacularly to the relatively unknown joachim fischer nielsen and britta andersen - i know britta has played with most of the top men in denmark - but not seen her with this other dane. well done to them for making an upset :)

18. coops241180

Product Owner
    wow - was it really that long ago?
    i thought they won it the year after rexy left - cause nathan sprained his ankle while at the anaheim ones (that was 2005 wasn't it?) then it was madrid in 06? i can't remember at all...

19. badMania

badMania Regular Member

What a disastrous start to the Malaysia Open Super Series :eek:

Mohd Rijal/Greysia Polii lost in straight sets 20-22, 6-21 to David Lindley/Suzanne Rayappan. The ENG pair has been improving steadily and upsetted Nova/Butet last year.

Meanwhile, Flandy Limpele/Vita Marissa lost unexpectedly to Joachim Fischer Nielsen/Britta Andersen 12-21, 15-21.

20. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

XD between Mas and USA is going crazy...