Groups In The East

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by chrislyn, Jan 15, 2008.

1. chrislyn

chrislyn Regular Member

hi, i'm looking for groups that play weekly in the east... weekday evening onwards and weekend afternoon onwards... intermediate level... interested to join on a regular basis... does anyone know of any group I could join? thanks...

2. -Silver-

-Silver- Regular Member

Engineer
    hey, im looking for group to join too since my group member are busy with their life. If there are more ppl mayb we could start a group.

3. enervac

enervac Regular Member

Im interested too. Where in the east do u guys intend to play?

4. kestrel

kestrel New Member

I'm interested too. Can play almost anywhere in the east.

5. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
  6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I'm looking too... for a Tuesday evening group :)
    Perhaps a different one at a different place

7. chrislyn

chrislyn Regular Member

thanks for all yr replies

hi everyone!!! thanks so much for all your replies! well, i don't really know how to start or run a group but it sure sounds like a great idea! erm... tampines sports hall is really convenient but it's gonna be under renovation soon till april or something... not sure about other courts... anywhere in bedok, maybe tampines safra (they have 3 courts) or anywhere in the east would be good... anyone keen to head a group? and any suggestions for good accessible courts? marine parade CC one is quite sucky cuz of the tiled floors... slippery... quite a pity...

8. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Tampines Sports Hall is a terrible place to play good badminton :mad:
    The chances of getting trampled, knocked down or slashed are quite high.
    The chances of doing one of these are also very high!

The first time I played there, I nearly stepped on a careless kid.
    The second time, a woman walked across the court just as I hit :eek:
    If I hadn't checked my drive, the shuttle would possibly have gone right into her ear :(

9. chrislyn

chrislyn Regular Member

hahaa... true true! many kids running around n many pple walking to n fro between the courts (almost all the courts are booked up for training kids on Sunday afternoons)... you're likely to miss shots while trying to avoid hitting/bumping into someone, esp corner shots... but that major down point aside, the plus points that draw me back there to play for recreation with frenz include its convenient location, many courts available (except on sundays), n the flooring and lighting isn't too bad (apart from the last few courts right at the back used for floorball... so many multi-coloured markings on the floor n quite slippery too)... actually... the badminton courts at chinese swimming club are quite ok... if anyone's a member there, it's quite a nice place to play...

#9 chrislyn, Jan 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  10. enervac

enervac Regular Member

How about Hougang badminton hall? Quite a number of courts there.

11. BCnewbie

BCnewbie Regular Member

Hi, U might wanna join our group if your level of play is above intermediate, we can accommodate one or two more players, pls see my thread or pm me if U r interested, thanks!

Hi, U r welcome to join our group as we hv a session nxt tue at bedok, the right day, a different group, but dun know if bedok is a different place for U, pls see my thread or pm me if U r interested, thanks!

12. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    I thought the flooring there is the ultimate shoe-spoiler:p

13. -Silver-

-Silver- Regular Member

Engineer
    erm, why not chrislyn be the head of the new organiser? If tampines sports hall going renovation, the next place i could think of is bedok sports hall. Nice flooring but with confusing lines. :(

14. Xinguy

Xinguy Regular Member

Part Time Club Player...
    Hi chrislyn u r chinese swimming club member??? i play there too:)

15. chrislyn

chrislyn Regular Member

actually it is... haha... not only shoe-spoiler but also racket spoiler (strings snap more easily if u're fond of using the edge of yr racket to flick shuttles off the floor)... but it's non-slip, spacious, not many pple walking all around between yr courts, ventilation's ok, no confusing marks on the floor, pleasant enough colour floor/walls (except the light green centre court a little glaring), clean toilets, cold enough water cooler etc...

16. chrislyn

chrislyn Regular Member

heya! thanks for the suggestion! yup, hougang sports hall has quite a number of courts :) ...hougang is pretty far for me though (i stay in the east and don't drive; gona take me over an hour to get there)... but i'm not too sure about the others... i think there are a couple of existing groups in hougang, can try asking around or joining them if any of you would like to play there... i'm still trying to find courts in the east but not too sure where to find proper ones yet... so sorry...

17. chrislyn

chrislyn Regular Member

forming a regular group in the east

Hi everyone :)

the following pple are keen to form/join a regular group in the east:
    1. chrislyn
    2. -Silver-
    3. enervac
    4. kestrel
    It's only the 4 of us so far, but do indicate your preferences for days & time slots, & i'll see if there's a common day/time to start something. Will try to find more people...

In terms of court options in the east, apart from the 2 sports halls (tampines & bedok), there are several courts in community clubs in the east (not sure what those courts are like though), & also the option of SAFRA tampines (3 courts total, 7am-11pm, $4/hr, not avail on tuesdays)... do let me know if you have any preference/recommendations for courts in the east... thanks...

Here's a document containing info on all the badminton courts in sports halls & community clubs in Spore, opening hours & costs. Click on "badminton" from this link to get there... http://www.sportingsingapore.com/ttd_bizenterprise/ssd_rates.aspx?DirID=53&name=Facilities+&+Rates

18. kestrel

kestrel New Member

I'm ok with Bedok/Tampines. 7-9pm on weekdays is fine. Think Safra is cheaper than tampines sports hall.

19. -Silver-

-Silver- Regular Member

Engineer
    ok, im free on weekend only. For timing wise, prefer to be in the afternoon.

20. chrislyn

chrislyn Regular Member

thanks for submitting yr timings and preferences... silver on weekends and kestrel on weekdays... will have to try and get more people first i think as there's no common timing as yet... will keep u updated asap :)