User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Intensive Training

Help me Guys..

I am contemplating on the idea of letting my 12 yr. old daughter attend a badminton training program in Indonesia for 60 days. She's been playing for almost two years, and attending a program twice a week. Let me know your pros and cons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will there be a guardian who you know well enough to accompany her?

2 day training to full time training is a big jump. More so for a 12 year old girl still in the growing stage.

If you think she is mentally matured enough to take care of herself and adjust well to a sudden change of environment (e.g. homesick, not comfartable with living condition, different kind of food & etc.)... then it should be ok.

Badminton level wise, she may or may not be overwhelmed by the standard difference. This might cause her to be left behind in terms of training she can participate in. Regardless tho, if you have found a reliable set up to provide necessary attention for your daughter during this duration, It should be ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She definitely will need support there. Definitely will improve her game since there are so many good players there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me add, besides the two day training, She's doing an off-court training like skipping rope, push-up, and sit-ups every other day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if she feels comfortable with the idea and wants to do it, I'd say go ahead cuz' it sounds like a great oportunity (to me anyways).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember that the majority of juniors that play sport regularly are naturally fit. In my opinion more time should be spent on technique quality, of movement, and speed and power, groove all the shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12 is pretty young to go somewhere by yourself. if she has some sort of guardian then it helps a lot.

training wise, i think it'll be much more intense compared to what she is use to now. indonesia is a place filled with lots of talented youngsters, so she had better be prepared to work hard in order to move ahead.

coachgary: when i went to chinese training centre for kids aged 9-13 co-ed, 95% of all training was footwork and speed related. there were no technique based training where the coach would teach you how to refine a shot other than the occasional comment such as "hit it earlier". from what i can recall, there was only 1 drill that focused on a shot technique and it was related to the smash.
    Last edited by uncle_peanuts; 01-17-2008 at 04:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish our club juniors would spend 70% of my precious 2 hours per week doing footwork drills! lol.

For a minority sport we cannot afford to have anyone dropout because they're bored of doing footwork drills and movement patterns. The key to our success as a Junior Club is fun, they learn to enjoy and love the game, it becomes a sport for life, that they're hooked into. We strike a balance between play,training and competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coachgary View Post
    I wish our club juniors would spend 70% of my precious 2 hours per week doing footwork drills! lol.

For a minority sport we cannot afford to have anyone dropout because they're bored of doing footwork drills and movement patterns. The key to our success as a Junior Club is fun, they learn to enjoy and love the game, it becomes a sport for life, that they're hooked into. We strike a balance between play,training and competition.
    haha im so crazy i force myself to do footwork drills for a couple hours a day even if i have no hitting partner i will go to the gym and do footwork but i would never force anyone else to do it as a coach, some people arnt crazy enough. or get bored

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suggest you decide before her going what kind of training you do not want to take part in. You might want to draw a clear line to the coaches over there that she won't participate in the weight training sessions like the Indonesian kids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does she want to go?
    I'd say if its safe and happy to go then do it. You can always take her home if she doesnt like it. Safety first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not get a local coach to drill her two hours everyday for a week ?

She need to know the price to pay for the massive skill improvement . Let her have a mental preparation and feel the physically training .

Who knows ... she's a tough dog like wong mew choo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gentlemen,

Im getting a lot of good opinions here. Thanks a lot to all of you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Work her very hard, but let her have the proper time to recover. 12 years old isn't too young to train hard. I wished I started younger. =P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, sorry, but no. No. No. No.

The first time I threw up from overtraining, I was 11. It began a pattern which has resulted in me being chronically injured from being psychologically addicted to overtraining, not to mention being an over-achiever, a perfectionist, and pretty screwed up in general.

Here are a bunch of reasons for no:

1) At 12 she isn't even fully developed enough for all the strength training to be beneficial.
    2) What she's told there will probably contradict what her coach at home says which will ultimately confuse her since at her age she wont be able to decide for herself which is best and well end up with a poorly-functioning hybrid of technique.
    3) She wont really remember the experience as she gets older. I certainly remember diddly-squat from when I was 12.
    4) It's expensive.
    5) If no one is going with her, she will get incredibly homesick, especially if she hasnt' been away for that long before.
    6) The jump from twice a week two eight hours a day is huge.
    7) You're depriving her of key contact with her parents and peers for sixty days. That's a really, really, really, really long time. Especially right before teenage-hood... this decision could completely effect your relationship with your daughter through all the rocky teenage years. If you send her and she doesn't enjoy it, she will resent you for a decade, minimum.
    8) Since she doesn't train that frequently now, it is almost guaranteed she will be injured quite quickly due to the sudden increase. So she probably wouldn't be able to participate as much as you'd like.
    9) Sending her to a camp like that will not fulfill her (or your) dreams of her becoming a pro.

I can think of a dozen other reasons but my fingers are tiring.

Please don't send your daughter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by westwood_13 View Post
    Okay, sorry, but no. No. No. No.

The first time I threw up from overtraining, I was 11. It began a pattern which has resulted in me being chronically injured from being psychologically addicted to overtraining, not to mention being an over-achiever, a perfectionist, and pretty screwed up in general.

Here are a bunch of reasons for no:

1) At 12 she isn't even fully developed enough for all the strength training to be beneficial.
    2) What she's told there will probably contradict what her coach at home says which will ultimately confuse her since at her age she wont be able to decide for herself which is best and well end up with a poorly-functioning hybrid of technique.
    3) She wont really remember the experience as she gets older. I certainly remember diddly-squat from when I was 12.
    4) It's expensive.
    5) If no one is going with her, she will get incredibly homesick, especially if she hasnt' been away for that long before.
    6) The jump from twice a week two eight hours a day is huge.
    7) You're depriving her of key contact with her parents and peers for sixty days. That's a really, really, really, really long time. Especially right before teenage-hood... this decision could completely effect your relationship with your daughter through all the rocky teenage years. If you send her and she doesn't enjoy it, she will resent you for a decade, minimum.
    8) Since she doesn't train that frequently now, it is almost guaranteed she will be injured quite quickly due to the sudden increase. So she probably wouldn't be able to participate as much as you'd like.
    9) Sending her to a camp like that will not fulfill her (or your) dreams of her becoming a pro.

I can think of a dozen other reasons but my fingers are tiring.

Please don't send your daughter.
    hmm... i can kind of sense your canadian bias. there are certain things that are required to become a good badminton player. but in the end, it's up to parent.
    btw, i dont think they will be doing strength training at 12

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The key point here is: is she ready for somethign like this? Is she willing to put in this time and effort for the sport? Is she the one that wants to do this? If you want her to go for it, but she's not 100% for this camp, dont' do it. If she's 100% willing, and wants to go, dont' try to stop her.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast