User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True. We Canadian's are very biased and overprotective when it comes to children. It also comes from different values and ethical bases.

For example, in China it is commonplace to identify young athletes, well before puberty, and channel them to excel at a certain sport. From our perspective, the fun and free will is largely removed from the activity. However, they are taught great discipline and drive to work hard and excel. Does this produces incredible champions? Yes, it does.

The difference is that in the Asian world the sacrifice is justified by the ends, and in Canada it is generally not considered that way. Neither is right nor wrong and I can see good arguments for both sides. I'm not 100% sure where I fall in regard to this, either, although my bias obviously puts me on the side where I don't so much improve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The West have strange perception of badminton summer camps. They like to organize 2 weeks visit to maybe China, Denmark or somewhere else. Then they come in a really large group with a whole range of badminton level among them.

The training gets 'diluted' and often sidetracked by 'sight seeing programs'.

Also, lots of emphasize seem to be placed on having a 'badminton personality' show up.. give some words of encouragement and maybe lecture about badminton basics.

Overall the training camp becomes more like a badminton 'clinic'.

Serious badminton players often self arrange these 'trips' in small / close tight groups looking for 'no-nonsense' & 'no-frills' training centres. Mostly so they do not get distracted from the main objective... which is : a full time training experience in a (presumably) more serious & conducive training environment.

Sure they are unlikely to return home after a month as the next national champion, but to them... it helps them get on the right path and give them a better understanding of what it takes to reach their badminton goals. It helps them measure their capacity and decide their own future.

This 2 month training in Indonesia no doubt is a no-nonsense arrangement. Your daughter is quite young but we don't know your child. She may be all ready physically, mentally and discipline so since you know her better the choice and responsibility for this decision is all your own.

Just remember not to have to high expectations of results. Also, even after 2 month training... full benefits only come maybe a month later when more of the 'new stuff' she learns finally sinks into full practice.

BTW. The weight training with little kids in indonesia is no joke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it honestly comes down to 2 things. first, is ur child willing to do this, is there even the slightest chance that she's not willing to? second, make sure itz safe there cause ur child is only 12 years old, and ur child is already attending a program twice a week, so why bother make her go through all this 60 day stuff? she might not even like badminton by the time she turns 15, so talk to your child and see what she really wants

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2