Kendrick Lee

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open 2008' started by Kamen, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    pardon my ignorance but yesterday was the first time i seen Kendrick Lee in action.

This chap is very impressive. His backhand is as lethal as Taufik's! :)

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well he is Singapore's best local hope for the Beijing Olympics.

You missed seeing him in action during the recent Korat SEA Games 2007 in December. In the individual event, in the first round, he shocked Boonsak on home turf and knocked out Sony Kuncoro in the semis to face Taufik Hidayat in the final. As you know all of these players are ranked higher than Kendrick. But Kendrick paid the price for respecting Taufik too much and he lost meekly in the end to earn the silver medal.

Beating Chen Jin (3) yesterday was Kendrick's second consecutive victory over him to confirm his good performance. The first was during last year's Singapore Open!

I'm sure you'll see more of Kendrick and I look forward to supporting him in all his matches! :):):)

3. scann

scann Regular Member

IT - Software

Agree with you, also first time watching him live. In fact 1st time watching MO live. He is fast and furious.

Didn't take many picture of him. Just took two pictures of him. But here is the better one.

Attached Files:

4. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    Maybe Chen Jin did not play well yesterday and gave Kendrick easy reply but Kendrick played like Lin Dan yesterday. Kekeke!

His smash is sharp and powerful. He can smash and tap or smash and drop! His lob is fast but will always land "in". His backhand is like his forehand. He can lob, drop, drive and even smash with his backhand! His defence is good especially the ones to his back hand. He can drive the shuttle back very quickly when Chen Jin smashed to his back hand side. Chen Jin was caught a few times yesterday. Everytime when he do this, the stadium will "oooo arrrr!" He has powerful wrist but he has got very good soft touch too!

I am impressed! Salute!

5. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

I watch Kendrick play too. His backhand is powerful..But it was a plain straight forward & predictable kind of backhand while Taufik backhand is more power and varities(cross court,overhead & side-line) and unpredictable on when he want to strike & where he want to place.

6. Xinguy

Xinguy Regular Member

Part Time Club Player...
    This is the 1st few times i saw kendrick match he is really quite impressive during asian games when he beat sony, kuan beng hong, boonsak, & reaching the finals to meet taufik..

7. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    The only weakness i noticed yesterday was when he had a few match points. He missed a few really easy kill. Maybe too eager or immature or lack tournament experience.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Sounds...

...eerily like Taufik..:eek: :):cool:...

9. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    kekeke! maybe i exagerated but if it was not 100%, it was still 99.99% like Taufik! :D

10. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

11. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Impressive

I was really surprised when I saw this guy play. He is very fast and powerful. On the other hand, CJ is still the weakest among Lin-Bao-Chen. He has trouble whenever his opponent can match his speed and power.

12. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    Guess, as much I don't like people to say import or local for the wrong reason to stress that because he or she is ....

For the right reason is acceptable, like "He is migrant which bring glory to our country".

13. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I wonder why the media kept saying that his victory over CJ yesterday was a major upset. Kendrick has scalped big names a number of times already.

Really enjoyed the game, CJ was moved left and right, even his better speed couldn't cope with Kendrick unless he could pin him at the baseline.Almost similar to LCW's demolition of CJ in French Open, with slightly different tactics.

14. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

Actually, that's his problem, kudos for his determination and aggression, but it is very hard to sustain such a fast and furious game if stretched to 3 sets against top class opposition, let alone an entire tournament.

Basically if he had to go to 3rd set against Chen Jin, I am worried whether he could make it. I recall him in a 3 setter against Bao CL in Singapore open. In 3rd set he was tired and making all sorts of mistakes and gave up the 3rd set.

15. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Kendrick has indeed improved a lot and I believe Ronald Susilo will retire after the Olympics. So, Kendrick has to step up a level and take the responsibility of being the Singapore no 1 player. Asep Suharno has been a positive factor in his development in the past 2 years.

16. gsrturbo

gsrturbo Regular Member

saw him played yesterday, was really impressive, fast and strong, totally demolished chen jin...

17. B-KJoe

B-KJoe Regular Member

Student
    Glad to see many supporting Kendrick !!!
    & when did he switch to NS9000 ?
    He uses MP88 for very long I think....

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
  19. Ryan214

Ryan214 Regular Member

Technician
    Kendrik is first ever Singapore local player that can produce such good result in international tournament and hope he can continous his effort to become champion one day.

20. Zealous

Zealous Regular Member

I'll be honest here. I had never seen him play before on tv or live. I just heard of him before. Based on yesterday's results, I guess he can be consider as one of a big thread.