Rexy resigned !!!

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by alfa-2, Jan 18, 2008.

1. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    From http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2008/1/19/sports/20059981&sec=sports

Badminton: Rexy: I am leaving
    By RAJES PAUL and LIM TEIK HUAT
    INDONESIAN Rexy Mainaky has quit as the national doubles coach of the Malaysian team – barely seven months before the Beijing Olympic Games and four months before the Thomas Cup Finals.
    His decision comes a day after his charges – Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif and Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock – crashed out in the second round of the ongoing Malaysian Open badminton championships at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil yesterday.
    There were high expectations on defending champions Kien Keat-Boon Heong but a poor showing – especially by Boon Heong in the decider – saw them losing 19-21, 21-18, 21-19 to Denmark’s Jonas Rasmussen-Lars Paaske on Thursday.
    An emotional Rexy poured his heart out in a telephone conversation yesterday morning, saying that the stress of managing the Malaysian doubles department had got to him.
    “I can’t cope with the stress of the job any more. I have failed the Malaysian team and myself,” he said.
    “I am quitting ... yes, I am quitting this job. I cannot do this anymore. It is very stressful. I cannot do this to my family anymore (putting them through the ordeal).
    “No, it is not fair to my family. It is high time that I spend time with them.”
    Rexy said he found sleep hard to come by after the defeats of his two prized charges – Kien Keat-Boon Heong and Fairuzizuan-Zakry – on Thursday.
    “This thought (of quitting) played in my mind last night (Thursday).
    “I could not sleep at all. And this morning (yesterday) it became clear to me that I wanted to quit this job (national doubles coach). I have informed my family,” Rexy said.
    When told that he should not step down as he had done exceptionally well to raise the standard of the Malaysian doubles since taking up the job in 2004, Rexy said between sobs: “I have given my very best in coaching the Malaysian team ... I have done everything I could. Day in and day out I have worked hard with these players ... but I feel like I have failed them.
    “I just do not know what else to do. Now, I just do not feel like coaching.”
    Rexy said that he had hit ‘breaking point’ and could not wait until the Beijing Olympic Games to tender his resignation.
    “I do not want to wait until the Beijing Olympic Games. This is it – I cannot coach anymore. I will inform the BAM (Badminton Association of Malaysia) officials when I meet them today (yesterday),” he said.
    “No, I am not changing my mind. This is my decision. It is final.”
    This is the second time that Rexy has expressed his decision to quit as coach.
    The first time was after the men’s team’s failure in the Doha Asian Games in 2006.
    Then, the BAM and National Sports Council (NSC) officials managed to coax him into changing his mind.
    And just days after that, Kien Keat-Boon Heong won the doubles gold medal –the country’s first gold in the Asiad in 36 years.
    Kien Keat-Boon Heong then went on to win seven titles last year, including the prestigious All-England.
    BAM general manager Kenny Goh, when asked about Rexy’s decision, replied after a long pause: “Well, officially, we have no knowledge of this.”

2. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    from http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Saturday/Sport/2136303/Article/index_html

NATIONAL doubles coach Rexy Mainaky is considering resigning - the second time he is doing so - but this time, he looks serious.
    And it has nothing to do with the shock loss of World No 1 Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong in the third round of the Malaysia Open on Thursday.

Rexy said his work ethic has been questioned by certain quarters and he is upset with the allegation.

"I'm responsible. There are people who think I'm not working. If people are thinking I'm not doing my job, why should I continue?," said a frustrated Rexy.

"I don't want to say who they are and whether they are from the BA of Malaysia (BAM) or National Sports Council (NSC).
    "I only have this to say. I love Malaysia, if I decide to quit, I'll never get involved in badminton again. This has nothing to do with any offers (from others).

"Only BAM can clarify the situation."

This is the second time Rexy has contemplated quitting in the middle of a tournament.

The first was during the Doha Asian Games in 2006 after his charges lost in the team event against South Korea.

However, he retracted his decision a day later and Kien Keat-Boon Heong repaid his faith in them by winning the men's doubles gold after a 36-year lapse.

However, Rexy's latest outburst is due to people questioning his commitment and it can't be BAM as the Indonesian was given a pay hike when his contract was renewed last June.

He was also recently put in charge of the women's doubles and he has, together with assistants Chang Kim Wai and Pang Cheh Chang, been manning the mixed doubles squad for the last 10 months.

BAM secretary P. Ganga Rao said he had a brief chat with Rexy and said they are 110 per cent behind the latter.

"If he had actually said it (about resigning) we hope that it is just at the heat of the moment. It is frustrating when the players don't do well after plenty of hardwork," said Ganga.

"We are confident with his ability and we are absolutely behind him. There is no question at all about his workrate and I feel someone is doing this just to upset him.

"We will talk to him again tomorrow (today) and we are confident he will be with us right through to the Olympics."

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Rexy, April 1st is still more than 2 months away....

4. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

<Sigh> Poor Rexy, these quarters actually have been questioning his 'loyalty' since day 1. The Msian 'critical' attitude again.

5. terry

terry Regular Member

Eeeerrr..... dun looks like he is celebrating April Fool. :-(

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Wow...if it's really true, then...

...(i almost swallowed the gum i was chewing when i saw this thread/headline)..:p
    ..IF it's really true, then Pemuda's prophecy has come true (i can hear his footsteps coming in, pretty soon)...WOW! This is a surprise, unexpected news!..:eek:
    The questions now are: Now what, for BAM & M'sia's MDs?? And where will Rexy head to next?? Back to INA/PBSI or elsewhere???..:confused:
    *I'm sure our ants knows more abt this..tsk, tsk, tsk...Hau-ge, too???...:confused: :p

#6 ctjcad, Jan 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  7. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
  8. bcmmgr

bcmmgr Regular Member

I think he make the right decision !! Wish him all the best for his future.

#8 bcmmgr, Jan 18, 2008
  9. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Let's ask Ants to talk to Rexy/YKH about this .....

But it is true that the job of a badminton coach in Malaysia is up for critical review, like England and EPL and football coaches. And criticism is normally not from within BAM, sometimes from other factions of NSC, OCM, Ministers, Media etc.

A lot of other high profile coaches have found the going tough and eventually quit, that included coaches instrumental in the Thomas Cup victory + Morten Frost, Professor Park, Li Mao etc.

Before the Thomas Cup victory, the atmosphere was totally encouraging. Now some quarters are expecting badminton world champions produced like instant noodles ...... what a joke.

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I hope..

..Rexy changes his mind and stays on with the MAS National team, at least til the Olympics:cool:...Oh, speaking of asking ants to talk to Rexy, hmm, should we coax our Hau-ge also to try and talk to Rexy??..:confused: :cool:

11. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

12. eaglehelang

The malay newspapers version states : Rexy threaten to Resign
    Main points same as NST. Looks like intv done at different times with The Star.

Rexy ancam letak jawatan

Oleh NORZIE MOHD. KAHSBI

KUALA LUMPUR – Jurulatih beregu negara, Rexy Mainaky menimbulkan kegemparan dalam kem badminton kebangsaan semalam apabila memberi ‘isyarat’ akan meletakkan jawatan selepas dikatakan kesal dengan dakwaan beberapa pihak yang menganggap dia gagal menjalankan kerja dengan baik.

Kata-kata sumbang itu dikatakan mula kedengaran selepas pemain negara gagal membawa pulang kejuaraan pada Kejohanan Dunia, Ogos lalu, di mana Malaysia menjadi tuan rumah buat kali pertama.

Rexy regrets the allegations of certain quarters that said he didnt do his job well. Those kind of statements started after the country's players failed to win WC 2007.

Malah, jurulatih dari Indonesia itu juga dikatakan kecewa dengan prestasi pemainnya yang semakin tidak menentu ketika ini, apabila tiada seorang pun beregu negara berjaya melayakkan diri ke separuh akhir Terbuka Malaysia yang sedang berlangsung. Semalam, mimpi buruk bekas juara dunia dan Olimpik itu ditambah dengan kekalahan pasangan senior, Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah kepada pasangan Denmark, Lars Paaske-Jonas Rasmussen 16-21, 21-16, 6-21 pada saingan suku akhir.

Kelmarin, kem badminton negara dikecewakan dengan kekalahan pasangan nombor satu dunia, Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boong Heong kepada beregu Denmark yang sama di pusingan kedua.

It is also said Rexy is disappointed with losses of MD, none made thru to SEmi F this MO.

Rexy tidak menafikan kemungkinan akan meletakkan jawatan, iaitu kali kedua beliau mengemukakan ancaman tersebut selepas turut menyuarakan hasrat yang sama pada Sukan Asia di Doha 2006.

Bagaimanapun, beliau menegaskan, rasa ‘cinta’ terhadap badminton Malaysia tidak mungkin mendorongnya untuk menerima tawaran daripada negara-negara lain, termasuk negara kelahirannya sendiri, Indonesia, yang dilaporkan berusaha untuk memancing bekas bintang mereka itu.

“Kalau saya mahu meninggalkan Malaysia, sebab utama saya berbuat demikian adalah kerana saya tidak cukup baik, saya rasa saya telah pun gagal. Saya gagal pada Kejohanan Dunia, hari ini (semalam) saya gagal di Terbuka Malaysia pula.

However Rexy insists that because of his love for Msia, he will NOT take up coaching offers with other countries, including his home country Indonesia.

"If I want to leave Msia, the main reason is cos I'm not good enough, that I feel I have failed. I failed at WC, yesterday I failed at MO."

“Bagaimanapun satu perkara yang boleh saya sahkan kepada anda hari ini, saya cintakan Malaysia. Jadi saya tidak akan meninggalkan negara ini untuk menyertai negara lain, tidak sama sekali.

“Kalau saya berhenti daripada menjadi jurulatih Malaysia, saya tidak akan menyentuh badminton sampai bila-bila,” kata Rexy.

"I love Msia. So, I wont leave Msia to join other countries, no."(in malay is stronger) If I quit, I will not touch badminton ever."

Kontrak Rexy, yang mula membimbing skuad Malaysia pada 2005 hanya akan berakhir pada Jun, 2009 iaitu selepas berakhirnya Sukan Olimpik di Beijing, Ogos ini.

Jika jurulatih itu nekad dengan keputusan melepaskan jawatan, ia pastinya memberi tamparan hebat buat Malaysia, yang berusaha untuk merangkul pingat emas Olimpik buat kali pertama pada Temasya 8-24 Ogos ini.
    Persatuan Badminton Malaysia (BAM) ketika ditemui bagaimanapun berkata, mereka akan berusaha 110 peratus untuk memastikan Rexy kekal di negara ini dan akan bersemuka dengan jurulatih itu hari ini bagi menjelaskan kedudukan.

If Rexy really leaves, will be huge blow to the Msian camp.

Setiausaha BAM, Ganga Rao berkata, Rexy tidak pernah memaklumkan
    kepadanya untuk mengundur diri, sebaliknya perkara itu hanya diketahui melalui media.

“Selepas mendengar berita ini, ia begitu menyedihkan buat kami.
    Bagaimanapun saya ingin menjelaskan, kami di BAM menyokong Rexy 110 peratus dan akan cuba memujuknya untuk kekal di negara kini.

“Jika ada masalah, kami harap ia boleh dibincangkan dengan baik bukan dengan perletakan jawatan. Saya harap dia tidak serius dengan apa yang dimaksudkan, apatah lagi dia merupakan orang penting kita pada Sukan Olimpik nanti,” katanya.

Intv with Ganga Rao. 1st he's heard of it. WIll meet up & discuss with Rexy. BAM 110% behind Rexy. Rexy important man for OG.

Menurut Ganga lagi, beliau tidak fikir masalah utama jurulatih itu didorong oleh hubungannya yang dikatakan dingin dengan ketua jurulatih, Yap Kim Hock, sebaliknya ia mungkin berpunca daripada rasa kecewanya dengan prestasi pemain-pemain beregu negara ketika ini

This one the English press didnt report : Ganga denies resignation could be due to alleged cool relationship between YKH & Rexy.

frm Utusan Msia

13. eaglehelang

You can PM Hauge & Ants on that

14. damouse

damouse Regular Member

This is such a huge shock...to be honest, I'm speechless. But if Rexy is going to give himself heart attacks and coronaries and predispose himself to cancer because of the team...maybe it's time to break it.

Although I sincerely hope he will reconsider his decision and hopefully our badminton players will just try and try their hardest to make things easier for him.

Don't know what to say as I have no idea how bad it really is.

But this really sucks.

15. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
  16. eaglehelang

Vching, Rexy did say to 3 different newspapers that it's the 'certain quarters'. It can range from NSC (this I beleive), Sports Ministry or the other powers that be.

And I dont find it that surprising, saw hints of the allegations in 2007, before WC. If it carries on, no foreign coach would dare come, since their loyalty is always questioned.

#16 eaglehelang, Jan 18, 2008
  17. TH_4_President

TH_4_President Regular Member

Man, what he has done to improve MAS MDs was very impressive, threatening Indonesian MD all the time tradition till now since he had coached for MAS MD at the very first time, I really dont understand what those quarters really expect from rexy :confused:, a coach with "The Golden Touch".
    Anyway Rexy, should you want to coach again, INA MD or WD are more than welcome to have you back to coach and train in ur homeland :cool:

18. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    hmm... why do you think its the NSC?

19. bcmmgr

bcmmgr Regular Member

BAM is always too politic. And the statement is very clear that BAM want MD gold in olympic - and it look like they want it 100%. Should MD fail to gain gold, BAM always get the power to blame the coach and players and fire them.

I think Mas MD is nearly have the standard to win Olympic but not quite there yet....So BAM should accept that coach and player already did the best but they still need to improve the standard.....

same thing if you ask Park Joo Bong to make sure Japan win the olympic MD, is the task that cannot achieve cause the standard is not there yet.....

#19 bcmmgr, Jan 18, 2008
  20. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    hey, hey, hey..........dont try to snatch our coach hah..............:D:D:D