Studying in Australia

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by jas1121, Jan 18, 2008.

1. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    Most probably i will go Australia for my foundation program this year in a few months time. I still cant decide on which college to go to but among all the colleges, Canning College in Perth is quite a popular choice among my friends so most probably would be there. I wanna which University or College are ranked top in badminton, that is if there is a badminton program in that particular place or competition.

I am currently training under my state badminton association and would like to continue playing competitively (as in training and competition to be specific) in Australia.

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    If you are in sydney, you can try UNSW or Sydney Uni or Uni of Wollongong. If you need lubang to get into Uni of Wollongong, let me know. I can get you in there. They have foundation there as well. Not sure if other uni has it. It's a clean and nice place. Lots of Malaysian, Indonesian and Hong Kong students there.

If in Melbourne, you can try Monash Uni or Melbourne Uni.

3. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    I've been to MIBT jkt to get my diploma though.Anyway..malaysia got lots of university that is coorporating with australian's uni,so why bother to go that far now?Besides,once u leave..there'll be less ppl playing badminton with u,unlike when u're in malaysia.My suggestion,if u really wanna go to OZ,just take 2+2 program then.That's fair..

4. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    I agree Sydney - UNSW

5. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    Thanks for the replies.

How about Perth? So the University that was mentioned like UNSW, Sydney University do provide badminton training with a coach? Where does Tania Luiz train?

Smichz, i was thinking of that too like foundation here then degree in OZ or something. But my parents would like to send me there straight as in Sarawak here, theres only Swimburne and Curtin.

Extremenanopowe, I don't think my parents would send me to Wollongong. University now, my parents are considering UWA, Macquarie, Monash, RMIT to name a few.

6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

I think UWA and Monash stand out in that list. But i guess at this point in your life, your priority should be a good education or in other words, a degree from a respectable institution. i don't think you should choose a university for its competency in badminton. that has become secondary.
    i'm not saying that you are though.

7. extremenanopowe

too too.

A good suggestion for cost savings purpose. But if you can afford it. Just go and enjoy there. Every year you can travel to a couple of the cities. Nice experience you will definitely change for the better in terms of exposures.:D
    Come UOW lah...:D There's a Dr. (Malaysian) there waiting for you to play with him. He is Punch Gunalan Senior lah... Old but very 'kheng'...:D The beach is just 2 minutes drive. If you take Campus East, the beach is only 1 minute walk away. Mana cari such a place?:D

8. extremenanopowe

sarawak.

U kaliu kaliu is it? I'll be in Kuching in CNY. Maybe I can brain wash u to UOW. No doubt that the likes of UWA, MU and RMIT are so called more prestigious. Now days in actual, the standards are very similar. In a uni, as long as you do your tutorial and study reasonably hard enough, you shd be able to make it easily. Uni life is one of the best life you will have. Relaxing and enjoying. What course will you be taking?

UOW is just a suggestion lah. They have Australian Rugby team trains there at times. Also for the Swimmers. Great bods. If you can make it there, then very good. I'll get the Dr. to train you up. He won 3 gold medals in the recent Masters game in Australia.:D Very nice Malaysian there.

9. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    extremenanopowe, i will be taking Commerce, major in accounting. I will be going to Perth for foundation then maybe after that UWA. Then probably have to find another Dr. in Perth to train me up. I don't intend to go for training or play competitively unless is sponsored as well as my equipments. Strings break too fast and in Australia, i heard that stringing is kinda expensive.

llpjlau, you are right, at this point priority is education.

I wanna ask, is there any shop there that does stringing in Perth? If yes how much?

#9 jas1121, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  10. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

jas1121, there are a couple of clubs around that do stringing. also some individuals. one to consider is Lap from SOTX (www.sotx.com.au) who is based in perth. i think you can find his contact details on the website. otherwise, pm me if you want his mobile.
    W/ string $20 and BYO $12. thats already standard but IMO, reasonable for such a good job.

i know another guy who also does stringing for about the same price but am not happy with his work (and this is 3 or 4 rackets) so i would not recommend him.

11. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    Wow, thats kinda expensive of course comparing to Malaysia. Well, i guess i just cant smash hard anymore, lol. Thanks for the information.

Any idea if clubs or Unis sponsor their players?

12. chee.chun

chee.chun New Member

Student
    Hi there ^^, I'm a UWA student and I do know that out of all the uni badminton clubs in WA, UWA is the most active. They constantly send quality players to the University Games (one of which is a friend who won Bronze medal in Doubles at the Rim Uni Games.(Australia and other countries)

I'm not too clear as to their training schedules but They currently have a regular session running every wednesday from 7.30pm onwards, by a guy named Raymond, so if you want, you can go and chat to him in regards to any opportunity to participate in tournaments and competitive play.

13. extremenanopowe

Monash

Well, if you keen in Monash, I can recommend someone to help you there. He's the president of Victoria badminton Association. Ong Beng Teong son is playing there also.:D For the strings and barang2, better ta pau there so that you dun have to buy there. Just pay for stringing service lor.
    rgds

14. chee.chun

chee.chun New Member

Student
    Yes there are stringing services here, and it ranges from $12 to $18 and $22 depending on who you go to and what strings you would like your racquet to be strung with or wiht no strings. If you want, I can get some contact and let you know. The demand is mostly serviced by individuals and badminton clubs, so quite affordable ^.^. Haven't heard of a proper badminton store with a stringing service as of yet.

#14 chee.chun, Mar 7, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  15. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

there is a store in Osborne Park that specializes in tennis wares but also does badminton stringing. its not very affordable if you play with BG66 though.