Carlton S-Lite or Fireblade Tour?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by ouijaouija, Jan 19, 2008.

1. ouijaouija

ouijaouija Regular Member

#1 ouijaouija, Jan 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  2. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    Where are you looking to buy these from? Do central sports ship to north america?

3. ouijaouija

I'm not in usa I am in uk right now....

The tour seems kinda pricey, which is why I am leaning towards the s-lite, but there is very little information on both rackets on the net, and on these forums

From what i have read, head lite doesn't mean less power, as head light you can generate more faster swing anyway?

I like the idea of quicer reactions and stuff.

My current forza racket is very powreful, don't know about its specs though in terms of balance etc

4. AGRogers

AGRogers Regular Member

Coach & irrelevant day job
    Hi there,

Please note that what follows is personal preference - I have played quite a bit with nearly the whole range of newer Carlton rackets (the joys of being a sponsored coach) but nothing can replace you trying them yourself - I'm also incapable of comparison to any other current rackets for the same reason :rolleyes:

The S-Lite feels significantly lighter and easier to maneuvre than the Tour, as you would expect from the head-light classification.

What you don't get is the additional weight in the smashes/drives, though (to me at least) the shaft flexibility is where the difference really starts coming through... I feel there is more response to the Tour, the shuttle seems to travel in it's required direction with less delay after contacting the racket.

That having been said, I actually prefer the S-Lite to play with... Although I do feel there is slightly less power available to me, the additional maneuverability (sp?!?) allows me greater time to select the shot I want.

Hope that helps somewhat...

Next question however is are you opting for the classic or iso head? :eek:

5. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    I have the Fireblade Elite and the older Powerblade Lite, which should be similar in terms of balance and stiffness to the S-Lite. The Elite, like AGRogers said, is more powerful and stiff than the my PB Lite. I mainly use the Lite for mixed doubles and Elite for men's doubles.

I also agree with AGRogers that, the Elite seems to have a bit more fine control than the Lite. Honestly, I myself did not notice this only until recently I alternate between these two rackets in the same day. My number of smashes outside the lines is higher when I am using the Lite than the Elite. vbmenu_register("postmenu_772655", true);

6. ouijaouija

I like the sound of the s-lite but am worried about th elack of power... is clearing easy?

I play a lot of smashes as well in doubles

7. ashkenazi

ashkenazi Regular Member

Haha... the new fireblade superlite really reminds me of my Powerblade Superlite... from the specs right down to the paint job design except they switched the red and black. Well, except it doesn't have nanonpulse carbon :rolleyes:. It's also medium stiffness, head light though... and 5mm shorter + ISO.

I can tell you now that Powerblade Superlite isn't great for power, but people tend to underestimate maneuverability way too much IMO. Defensively, this racquet is amazing. I've experienced many times when opponents just give me a :eek: look after I return an extremely fast smash. It's great for doubles in this aspect.

Clearing was good for me. Before, my clears would easily go out from end to end. Now they reach the other end perfectly. For doubles, I don't see how clearing would be a problem though :confused: Smashes aren't too hot. They're decent, but not great. I used factory strings though. I'm sure you can stick some BG-80 in there and get good power.

8. khookg

khookg Regular Member

Retail Manager
    Hi ouijaouija,

I own a fireblade s-lite and has been using it for about 2 years now. Is a very nice to use racket esp for defensive play and net play. Smashes are a bit parrallel if your timing are out and not hit a the sweet spot of the racket.

This racket also comes with shock absorber, which is a rubber place between the grip and the shaft. Due to the hot and humid wheather in Malaysia, it has shrink and not as good as before.

This is still my regular racket for my doubles play, because of its superb net control and absolute no vibration.

I am looking forward to my next S-Lite (most likely Fireblade).

Khoo.