Callus on hand

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by ray_mond, Jan 19, 2008.

1. ray_mond

ray_mond Regular Member

After play about 2 months with my new grip, I seem to have calluses on my hand. They're right below the pinky finger and the finger before the pinky (ring finger?) underneath where the finger joins with the palm. Not sure if this is descriptive enough.

After playing, these spots often hurt after hours of play, and are a great deal of discomfort when using my hand for other common day activities.

At the moment, I am using a G4 sized grip with one over grip at the moment. When gripping the handle, the fingers are about 1/4cm away from touching the side of my palm. The overgrip is a tennis grip which I had to hastily use as a quick replacement. Would this be the cause? The tennis grip is a bit wider than the average badminton grip, and the grip is much bumpier with lots of ups and downs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(p.s. the way I grip my racket for various shots is correct I believe.)

2. molohov

molohov Regular Member

Engineer
    I would think it also depends on the mateirail on the grip as well.
    But these are normal and, afterwards, these will help you when you play (the calluses that is, not blisters).

Perhaps you are gripping the racquet too tight?

3. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    join the club. i've hand calluses in those two places for ages. the one below the pinky is especially annoying. if you're getting calluses there, then you've got the right grip. the only problem for me is, i don't think calluses should still be hurting after a year or so of play. i've given it a week and a half+ rest, but after a while, the pain comes back again :(

4. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I've got calluses everywhere on my hands since I ride my bike to school nearly everyday. It's just something to get used to, and it will stop hurting anymore.

5. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    I got them as well,from badminton n from being a goal keeper back then.Doesn't hurt though.In fact,it makes the skin thicker.LOL..

6. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I have calluses there too (doesn't hurt or anything). I think it's due to gripping the racket too tightly. To "smooth" out the calluses, u can use pumice stone or apply hand cream so ur hand doesn't look like sandpaper went through it. Non "oily" ones i suggest: Body Shop Hemp Hand Protector or Kiehl's Ultimate Hand cream. I use them before i play and it's non slip.

as a note, i use wilson xtra-tac or pro overgrip (no more yonex 4 me)

hemp hand protector:
    http://www.thebodyshop.com/bodyshop...p04?productId=prod5950023&categoryId=cat20083

kieh's cream:
    http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/body/ultimate-strength-hand-salve.htm

expensive..but worth it.

#6 DarthHowie, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  7. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I agree that it is normal. Over time, the calluses will strengthen to the point where they will no longer be sore, although if you play all day at a tournament they may still become abraded.

Usually I put on bandaids under tape, but often find this to be constraining to I just play through the pain. Good news is, they heal quite quickly.

8. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    that's the thing. i've got the thick skin and all. but there's still pain there. perhaps i'm playing too much? then i'd hate to think of how much pain the pros go through then. bandaids help, but sweaty hands kinda defeats the adhesive.

9. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

If you've had pain there for so long, it's probably not the just the callus. The only callus-related pain I see is from people suddenly increasing their volume of play. At that point, their calluses are not sufficiently tough to handle that volume so it tears their hands up.

10. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

calluses are the sign that you're man enough :D ;)

11. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i usually don't have much pain there. usually it's a slight ache, very hard to notice. but perhaps when i play several hours everyday, for several days in a row, it starts to hurt. my callus sometimes builds as well. i was wondering, is it ok to let it keep getting bigger? or should it stop at some point.

12. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    My advice is to let it grow in order to prevent pain. If you stop playing, it will decrease naturally.

Case in point: I had a 'badminthumb' which grew to be structurally deformed and have a 50% greater diameter than my normal thumb. The structural changes can't be reversed, but the width has gone down an enormous amount since I retired.